• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I do have 200 rounds to shoot tomorrow of 4 different choices I have been reading up on. Heading to the range after work to break her in.

That is a well planned beginning! Good luck and carry it with pride - may it become your best friend :D

sst0185

O'cd in 7-Eleven on Providence road in VA Beach this morning.

As I was leaving a guy asked me if I was going to shoot him because he was wearing a hoodie.

I told him no my jacket has a hood also are you going shoot me?

He tells me he doesn't carry, so I ask him why not?

I gave him one of Ed's cards and we had a short discussion about my HK.

It was obvious he was kidding at the onset of our conversation but I was annoyed at first.

Last edited:

The Airframer

As I was leaving a guy asked me if I was going to shoot him because he was wearing a hoodie... I was annoyed at first.

Kudos to you, I would've walked away rolling my eyes. Seems that all to often people believe everything they see in the news and fail to ascertain their own understanding because they lack the ability to think on their own, especially when the possibility of racial tension is presented.

The Airframer

O'cd in Walmart on Phoenix Dr in Virginia Beach, No problems. :D

Its easier/smoother to pull off than it seems huh?

OC'd today at Starbucks on Independence and Freedom carwash for a mediocre cleaning of my wife's swagger wagon. Oh and I answered my door OC'ing to tell some long-haired red-eyed teenagers that I don't need them to cut my grass for only ten dollars, i do it myself. Range day tomorrow!:banana::monkey:monkey:banana:

45acpForMe

OC'd today at Starbucks on Independence and Freedom carwash for a mediocre cleaning of my wife's swagger wagon. Oh and I answered my door OC'ing to tell some long-haired red-eyed teenagers that I don't need them to cut my grass for only ten dollars, i do it myself. Range day tomorrow!:banana::monkey:monkey:banana:

Send them over to my house, my daughter gave up cutting grass because it was too hard and I was paying her $25! ;-)

OC-ed to Walmart & the Outback Steakhouse no issues.

Doc_Smith

OC'ed at Fridays at Oyster Point and Jefferson. Good food. And somehow two older women had their 21st birthdays. Tomorrow Im going to the range since my nephew will be picked up by my mother. And then on to Fort Eustis to let him see the Transportation Museum.

Flippercon

Yeah I was a little nervous for it being my first time, As I was walking in a Sheriff walked in right in front of me. OC'd all day even right now. If I wake up early enough I will hit the starbucks up before work.

WhatTimeIsIt?

As I was leaving a guy asked me if I was going to shoot him because he was wearing a hoodie.

It was obvious he was kidding at the onset of our conversation but I was annoyed at first.

I hate when people try to joke like that; it's just not funny at all. I've tried to go along with it before, but next time I'm just saying "That's not funny." and continuing on.

paramedic70002

1. No, I've met my bag limit for today.

2. (Scratches chin and pauses) Naaaww, I reckon not right now.

3. Are you going to punch me in the nose and bash my head onto the sidewalk?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I hate when people try to joke like that; it's just not funny at all. I've tried to go along with it before, but next time I'm just saying "That's not funny." and continuing on.

Definitely not funny. A McDonald's employee did that to me together with throwing her hands up - she thought she was being cute until I made it clear that I wished to speak to her manager. The manager and I go back a long way.

We explained to her how her actions could have created a crisis situation. Have to admit that my back was twitching, when she first did that - kept waiting for someone to try a takedown, but apparently no one even noticed.

45acpForMe

OC'ed at Fridays at Oyster Point and Jefferson. Good food. And somehow two older women had their 21st birthdays. Tomorrow Im going to the range since my nephew will be picked up by my mother. And then on to Fort Eustis to let him see the Transportation Museum.

You must be -2a_magnetic because you keep being drawn to anti-2a establishments. Fridays has been anti for a long time. I am surprised that they didn't ask you to leave.

I assume the museum is federal property so don't try to OC there unless you can find out otherwise first!

As far as the "older" women having their 21st birthday, the best ten years of a woman's life are the year 29! ;-) My Mom started counting backwards once she reached 50. She made it to 18. :-(

Last edited:

Doc_Smith

You must be -2a_magnetic because you keep being drawn to anti-2a establishments. Fridays has been anti for a long time. I am surprised that they didn't ask you to leave.

I assume the museum is federal property so don't try to OC there unless you can find out otherwise first!

As far as the "older" women having their 21st birthday, the best ten years of a woman's life are the year 29! ;-) My Mom started counting backwards once she reached 50. She made it to 18. :-(

Thats fairly odd. The hostess saw that I was carrying but said nothing. No one approached me and no one said anything. I just love the food there and thats why I went. Maybe it was the whole situation that just confused her. I was with a friend of mine who happens to be female and black. Not to say that they are racist. But maybe that had something to do with it.

The museum is federal property. Its actually on base and the ban on firearms is still in effect as far as Im aware. Being a soldier I from Fort Hood I know all to well what happens when people can get firearms on a military base. But again it goes along with what I said before. If you ban guns from a place it only leaves people who cant defend themselves and people who are already breaking the law.

Hey as long as women are happy they will stay off our backs. Heaven forbid you get on my grandmothers wrong side. Shes 65 and about 5 feet tall and Im afraid of her.

45acpForMe

I find all of these reasons not to carry in the purse very valid and meaningful. If I can't convince her with these reasons, then maybe carrying without one chambered in her purse would be able to meet in the middle. She's not wild about open carry, at least having a gun with a loaded magazine would be better then the 10 pounds of god-knows-what she carries now. Might not make for the quickest draw but at least she'd be able to draw if she needed to. Just by keeping her purse cleaned out would alleviate the snag factor. Nothing she can really do about the purse snatcher other than raise her situation awareness. I've been big on pointing out where we can and can't carry, as I carry everywhere possible and am quick to point out the "No Firearms" signs anywhere we see them. I don't think she'd ever overlook the fact that she's packing.

Just got this from NRA for those looking for purse carry otions. http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=30&p=HO+501&ct=e

Had a good interaction with an old Marine at Dairy Queen for lunch. I was OC-ing and he told me that he saw I was serious about being at the front of the line. (although it is unwise to get between me and my food!) ;-) No one else was in front of me. We talked about his M1 Garand and how his son wants it and some OC theory etc. He used to be a member of LGC but hasn't been able to shoot prone because of hip surgery. Sat and had lunch and chatted and gave him an OC info card.

Last edited:

The Airframer

Just got this from NRA for those looking for purse carry otions. http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=30&p=HO+501&ct=e

Thanks for the info! OC'd today at walmart, starbucks, and 7-11 by A&P. Went and put about 250 downrange (@A&P, not 7-11!) until my gun started jamming about every other round. It started clean, i believe its the range brass that my gun dislikes. I put a full mag of Hornady Critical Defense through, then over 100 Winchester white box all without a jam, first mag of "Blazer Brass" led to a stove-pipe/misfeed every other round:banghead:... I was so pissed, just wanted to throw my ruger down range and see how big of a hole that would put in the target...

45acpForMe

Thanks for the info! OC'd today at walmart, starbucks, and 7-11 by A&P. Went and put about 250 downrange (@A&P, not 7-11!) until my gun started jamming about every other round. It started clean, i believe its the range brass that my gun dislikes. I put a full mag of Hornady Critical Defense through, then over 100 Winchester white box all without a jam, first mag of "Blazer Brass" led to a stove-pipe/misfeed every other round:banghead:... I was so pissed, just wanted to throw my ruger down range and see how big of a hole that would put in the target...

Some guns are sensitive. I bought a bunch of Blaser Brass at Walmart and it shoots fine through my Sig Sauers. When I tried to use it in my Para Big Hawg I saw several fail to feeds. When I emailed support at Para they said that the gun won't like Blaser. For all my other guns Blaser is fine, just the Para was finicky. That is why everyone should test their gun with their carry ammo to make sure it will feed properly/reliably. It is expensive to put high quality ammo downrange though and I usually run 2 magazines worth just to be sure after using cheap ammo.

But what ever you do DON'T THROW THAT GUN! :) Worst case if it is the gun's fault, you can send it to the manufacturer to get looked at and fixed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Some guns are sensitive. I bought a bunch of Blaser Brass at Walmart and it shoots fine through my Sig Sauers. When I tried to use it in my Para Big Hawg I saw several fail to feeds. When I emailed support at Para they said that the gun won't like Blaser. For all my other guns Blaser is fine, just the Para was finicky. That is why everyone should test their gun with their carry ammo to make sure it will feed properly/reliably. It is expensive to put high quality ammo downrange though and I usually run 2 magazines worth just to be sure after using cheap ammo.

But what ever you do DON'T THROW THAT GUN! :) Worst case if it is the gun's fault, you can send it to the manufacturer to get looked at and fixed.

The problem may disappear after a more extended break in period. Meanwhile, I would have a talk with the manufacturer and only carry what works.

Worst case scenario after all has been said and done: I buy broken guns for 10 cents on the dollar so all is not totally wasted. :lol: :lol:

VA Big E

I never thought of using my defense ammo at the range. Thanks for the suggestion. I always assumed that i had to use fmj instead of hollow points. I think i will use up a few boxes of the hollow points next time i go. I oc'd to BP to pick up a few defective tickets from the lottery on Mon. Cashier stared at me when i walked up to the window, but other than that no incidents. I have noticed that i am getting more and more comfortable when i oc.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I never thought of using my defense ammo at the range. Thanks for the suggestion. I always assumed that i had to use fmj instead of hollow points. I think i will use up a few boxes of the hollow points next time i go. I oc'd to BP to pick up a few defective tickets from the lottery on Mon. Cashier stared at me when i walked up to the window, but other than that no incidents. I have noticed that i am getting more and more comfortable when i oc.

When I first get the gun, and before I carry it I run some Federal Hydrashok or Speer Goldot through it. Some people have suggested that after a year to cycle the magazine with the quality ammo in it and replace with new ammo. I haven't done that though. Once I know that the gun will function ok with hollow points in the manufacturer I have I am fine with just running ball ammo at the range.

Nothing would be more frustrating than discovering the high priced quality ammo simply doesn't like your gun DURING A LIFE AND DEATH SCENARIO! So some proactive steps and practice can avoid a really bad situation. One other thing is that some of the quality ammo is +p or +p+ (or whatever they call it) so making sure you are comfortable with the recoil from that ammo is a plus. So many reasons to go to the range!!!

OC-ed to Subway for dinner no issues.