• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help needed regarding Nebraska open carry of knife...

Kip Johnson

Hey! I'm new to this forum and am posting in the hopes that someone will have some sort of greater understanding of Nebraska knife-carry laws - (I hope I'm posting in the right branch of this forum!)

To the best of my understanding, a 'knife' must have at least 3.5" in blade length to be defined as such in the state of Nebraska. This applies to both fixed-blade and folding knives. I'm also under the impression, that it is unlawful to conceal such a knife on one's person as it is defined as illegal without permit or licence.

I have so far been unable to find any information on the open carry of blades in Nebraska. Are there any Nebraska state laws regarding open carry, or does carrying a blade exceeding the legal default limit of 3.5" fall under the category of concealed carry? If so, would carrying such a blade require a concealed carry permit? I am curious as to how I would obtain such a permit, and what it would require. I would appreciate any feedback! Thank you very much!

-Kip

mat4e

What I know.

Hey! I'm new to this forum and am posting in the hopes that someone will have some sort of greater understanding of Nebraska knife-carry laws - (I hope I'm posting in the right branpistolsf this forum!)

To the best of my understanding, a 'knife' must have at least 3.5" in length to be defined as such in the state of Nebraska. This applies to both fixed-blade and folding knives. I'm also under the impression, that it is unlawful to conceal such a knife on one's person as it is defined as illegal without permit or licence.

I have so far been unable to find any information on the open carry of blades in Nebraska. Are there any Nebraska state laws regarding open carry, or does carrying a blade exceeding the legal default limit of 3.5" fall under the category of concealed carry? If so, would carrying such a blade require a concealed carry permit? I am curious as to how I would obtain such a permit, and what it would require. I would appreciate any feedback! Thank you very much!

-Kip

I have not seen anything as in a knife permit, I think you are stuck with 3.5" in city limits but I would look into the open carry law in nebraska that may allow you to open carry, Nebraska seems to seperate pistols from other deadly weapons. A CHP in nebraska only applies to a hand gun, I can carry 2 hand guns but if I carry a stun gun I go to jail. Go figure.
Now as read the Iowa CHP law your Nebraska CHP while in Iowa is good for all deadley weapons such as knifes, stun guns, mace.

NCM Colonel

I do it!

I have been open carrying a knife in northeast NE for YEARS. It is actually a full size Ka-Bar and I wear it out in the open everywhere I go except where it is not allowed by law. I have even carried into walmarts in Norfolk and Fremont as well as several other department stores and restaurants and in front of LEOs. The only confrontation I had was an employee at a local restaurant who just made the remark "WHOA that's a big knife". Long story short... I have never had a problem with open carrying a knife in the state of Nebraska.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hey! I'm new to this forum and am posting in the hopes that someone will have some sort of greater understanding of Nebraska knife-carry laws - (I hope I'm posting in the right branch of this forum!)

To the best of my understanding, a 'knife' must have at least 3.5" in blade length to be defined as such in the state of Nebraska. This applies to both fixed-blade and folding knives. I'm also under the impression, that it is unlawful to conceal such a knife on one's person as it is defined as illegal without permit or licence.

-Kip

These links may help you, but they cannot be said to be all inclusive.

http://nebraskafirearms.org/forum/index.php?topic=1693.0

http://www.hunterknifecentral.com/nebraska/

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/