• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is free training that meets the letter of the proposed law

paul@paul-fisher.com

You printed the certificate? IIRC, You send the top part of the certificate back to MD and there are 2 copies of a "wallet card" at the bottom that you keep. You won't hear back from MD when they receive their part.

I didn't. I believe you only need to do that if you plan on doing stuff in MD.

Da Po-lock

I was doing a little surfing this morning and it appear other states accept this MD training for CCW. IA and OR law requirements are like or exactly as ours and in those states MD training EASILY meets the requirement. OR also appears to be may issue too.

Neither state appears to make such a big deal about the MD training meeting the requirement either.

CCW412

You might want to ask someone from Iowa! I did and this is what they said;

"Iowa's Department of Public Safety the equivalent of WI DOJ said that because there was no interaction with an instructor the MD course does not count."

mrjam2jab

You might want to ask someone from Iowa! I did and this is what they said;

"Iowa's Department of Public Safety the equivalent of WI DOJ said that because there was no interaction with an instructor the MD course does not count."

Yeah...that was something completely random that they came up with..not sure what their logic was...

CCW412

He and other DOJ attorneys are working on writing the rules that ultimately will have to be approved by the Legislature.

They can say that the on-line course will not count and if the legislature agrees it will be so!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
They can say that the on-line course will not count and if the legislature agrees it will be so!
It depends on who you listen to. From the link in post #108...
Gun instructors around the state have said that since Gov. Scott Walker signed the bill earlier this month, classes have been filling up fast. O'Keefe stressed that until the rules being written by the DOJ are approved by Walker — likely sometime in October — "it's buyers beware."
Where in the hell did THAT come from?

Da Po-lock

Again

SB 93 is NOW LAW, Article 35.

Approval of its contentents, interpretations, discussions and begging are DONE.

NOTHING in the law states online training will not be sufficent.

DOJ cannot rewrite the law to make anyone opposed to it feel all warm and fuzzy.

Other states accept it and WI has no choice but to accept it.
MD meets the letter of the WI law.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

It depends on who you listen to. From the link in post #108...Where in the hell did THAT come from?

As part of some of the changes this year, the Governor can 'veto' department regulations. The regulations are written and presented to the Governor, if he does nothing, they become effective. I am not sure that applies to the DOJ, however since it is headed by an elected official, not part of the Executive branch.

TheManInBlack

From what I gather, I believe we're safe.. I still can't wait for The Department of Justice fact sheet release August 1st.

TheManInBlack

C. Training requirement
What kind of training is required to get a license?
In an application for a license, an individual must include proof of having received
firearm training. The proof of training requirement may be met by any of the
following:
A copy of a document, or an affidavit from an instructor or organization
that conducted the course or program, that indicates that the individual
completed any of the following (but see note below):
 The hunter education program established by the Department of Natural
Resources (DNR) or a substantially similar program that is established by
another state, country, or province and that is recognized by DNR.
• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a national or state
organization that certifies firearms instructors.
• A firearms safety or training course that is available to the public and is
offered by a law enforcement agency
• A firearms safety or training course that is taught by an instructor who is
certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms instructors
or by an instructor certified by DOJ, and that is available to the public and
offered by any of the following: a technical college, a college or university, a
private or public institution or organization, or a firearms training school.
• A firearms safety or training course that is offered to law enforcement officers
or to owners and employees of licensed private detective and security
agencies.
• A firearms safety or training course that is conducted by a firearms instructor
who is certified by a national or state organization that certifies firearms
instructors or who is certified by DOJ.
Documentation that the individual completed military, law enforcement, or
security training that gave the individual experience with firearms that is
substantially equivalent to a course or program described above.
A current or expired license, or a photocopy of a current or expired license, that
the individual holds or has held that indicates that the individual is licensed or has
been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or in another state or in a county or CCW FAQ 08/01/11
- 8 -
municipality of this state or of another state unless the license has been revoked
for cause.
Documentation of completion of small arms training while serving in the U.S.
armed forces as demonstrated by an honorable discharge or general discharge
under honorable conditions or a certificate of completion of basic training with a
service record of successful completion of small arms training and certification.
Wis. Stat. § 175.60(4)(a).
IMPORTANT NOTE: DOJ is currently in the rule-making process and is evaluating
what information will be required on the certificate to substantiate proof of
training. We will not have specifics until the rule-making process is complete.

revolverrandy

will it count

Will it be valid if I take it now or do I have to wait and take it after November in order for it to be valid?

revolverrandy

concealed carry

Does anyone know the specifics for the Wi open carry ?
I hear it will be just handguns and no long barrel firearms.
Will you be allowed to carry stun guns or knives?