• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many rounds are needed when carrying?

WalkingWolf

Hi WW

Where could one purchase an Expandable Baton?

Thank you and best regards.

CCJ

You can buy one online from a police supply. Not sure if they are available on ebay. I bought ours from Cutting Edge Products in Winterville, NC. I have a vendors account so you may not be able to buy from them direct.

Slade McCuiston

You can buy one online from a police supply. Not sure if they are available on ebay. I bought ours from Cutting Edge Products in Winterville, NC. I have a vendors account so you may not be able to buy from them direct.

I, personally, would not carry a baton. If I was going to carry something in addition to a pistol, I would carry a knife made for self-defense if legal in your state (such as a spring-assisted opening knife). But Hey, if it makes you feel secure to carry a baton, carry on! It's AMERICA! What a great place to be.

JustaShooter

I, personally, would not carry a baton. If I was going to carry something in addition to a pistol, I would carry a knife made for self-defense if legal in your state (such as a spring-assisted opening knife). But Hey, if it makes you feel secure to carry a baton, carry on! It's AMERICA! What a great place to be.

Whatever you carry, make sure you know how to use it - that means training and practice, just like you should be training and practicing with your sidearm. To do otherwise is foolish at best, and downright dangerous to your own well being at worst.

Primus

I load my +1 round by inserting the magazine, racking the slide to chamber a round, top off the magazine, and re-insert the magazine into the magazine well. It sounds like a PITA, but my carry gun has been unloaded only for maintenance and dry-fire practice.

Referring to getting away from the idiots, not running them over.

I really don't see the need in alienating somebody. Maybe some background is in order. My dad and uncle are present LEOs and my granddad is a retired LEO, so I grew up around firearms. I carried one around the farm nearly full-time from when I was 15 until I turned 19. When I turned 19 I got the first pistol of my own, a .45 1911, and started carrying openly everywhere legally allowed. I treat everyone, whether they are new to guns, just started carrying, or have been carrying their entire life with respect and would appreciate the same in return.

Just make sure you rotate that round after a few cleanings. I load the same way but empty the magazine and put the round in the stack somewhere

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

Whatever you carry, make sure you know how to use it - that means training and practice, just like you should be training and practicing with your sidearm. To do otherwise is foolish at best, and downright dangerous to your own well being at worst.

I always carry a knife, but it is a tool. It has other uses than SD. A knife is only good if the other person is close, and does not have knife. Plus in Ohio you cannot carry certain knives concealed. Mine is always open carried, even a folder, we can carry most folding knives concealed here in NC. IMO a baton is far superior for self defense than a knife, it can be used to disarm guns as well knives.

A baton extends the reach of the defender by it's length. And training with a baton is available almost every where. The problem comes in is that most states batons are illegal to carry concealed, so a holster must be used. Unless a person is on private property, which in the case of my wife she is when she carries hers in her pocket. To be clear she also carries a neck knife that has been tuned to open and lock on the flick of a wrist. A two ounce container of pepper spray, the hottest legal. And a JA 380 in a belt holster.

wimwag

I carry 14+1 with an extra magazine in one of my pockets. I read the gunfight rule of 3s somewhere but carry an extra mag in case of a magazine failure. Sometimes I carry a back up, but not so much as I used to. When out hiking or hunting its pretty much policy to have a backup. Or 2...

countryclubjoe

Hi WW

Thank you for your reply and the information.. I actually saw an episode of Sherlock Holmes " Elementary" tv drama where he is practicing on a punching dummy with said baton, and I thought said baton would be a great source for defense..

Thank you again and best regards,

CCJ

countryclubjoe

Hi WW

Thank you for your reply and the information.. I actually saw an episode of Sherlock Holmes " Elementary" tv drama where he is practicing on a punching dummy with said baton, and I thought said baton would be a great source for defense..

Thank you again and best regards,

CCJ

Just purchased a smith and wesson model from army and navy USA for $60.

CCJ

countryclubjoe

This thread reminds me of a incident that happened about 10 years ago, I believe it was in Alabama.

A law abiding homeowner shot a criminal home invader 10 times killing the criminal.

When the local sheriff arrived on the scene he asked the homeowner," why did you shot him ten times"?

Homeowner replied," My weapon only held ten rounds".. LOL

Best regards

CCJ

Last edited:

wimwag

This thread reminds me of a incident that happened about 10 years ago, I believe it was in Alabama.

A law abiding homeowner shot a criminal home invader 10 times killing the criminal.

When the local sheriff arrived on the scene he asked the homeowner," what did you shot him ten times"?

Homeowner replied," My weapon only held ten rounds".. LOL

Best regards

CCJ

I really hope that's a joke.

arentol

I carry 61. 1 in the chamber, and 30 in each magazine. But realistically 2 magazines of 7 or more should be enough 99% of the time.... Of course it is the 1% that gets you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

countryclubjoe

I really hope that's a joke.

I doubt the homeowner was trying to be funny, he was simply being honest with the sheriff.. Personally I think the homeowners reply was hilarious and if he was trying to inject some humor into his conversation with the sheriff then so be it.. I have no problem with his reply..

Also in this case, the homeowner needed 10 rounds, this thread is titled "how many rounds are needed when carrying" hence my reference to how many rounds are needed.. I could give a rats butt about how many rounds a law abiding homeowner uses to secure himself and his/her family from a criminal home invader.. Everyone's results will vary and hopefully with the same outcome, homeowner wins, criminal loses, and that my friend is no joke. One round, five, or ten, we do what we need to do to get the job done.. Hopefully we will never know the real answer to the OP query.

Now go get your shine box!

CCJ

Slade McCuiston

Just make sure you rotate that round after a few cleanings. I load the same way but empty the magazine and put the round in the stack somewhere

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yes! Thanks for the tip. I reload (though not what I carry in my gun for self-defense) and already knew about the possibility of set-back, but thanks!

Arin Morris

At this time I only carry 19+1, but I'm considering carrying an extra magazine. Not only would it supply another 19 rounds, but also the ability to recover from a fail to function quicker than using the same magazine.

Chief Ten Beers

If I'm carrying a single action cartridge revolver, I'll have all six chambers and all 18 on the belt loaded, if I'm carrying a cap and ball, I'll have all six chambers loaded and capped and a spare cylinder loaded and capped in the cylinder pouch. :banana:

WalkingWolf

If I'm carrying a single action cartridge revolver, I'll have all six chambers and all 18 on the belt loaded, if I'm carrying a cap and ball, I'll have all six chambers loaded and capped and a spare cylinder loaded and capped in the cylinder pouch. :banana:

I carry a single action also, but along with the 18+6 I pull a red wagon behind me with a case of ammo...:lol:

Just kidding. I usually carry two revolvers, usually with a total of about 37 rounds. 12 rounds 32-20, and 21 rounds 44 mag.