• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Case

Badger Johnson

According to the story (and this has been posted elsewhere on OCDO), the pharmacist asked for a panic button and glass panes and other security stuff when he was robbed a couple years ago, but corporate never followed up. They screwed up and because of this he'll win the case and should also seek damages for emotional distress and stuff, (IANAL)

He also said he never saw this policy of WG's.

However, it's not clear that he needed to return fire or shoot at the robber from that video, and he didn't appear to be a very practiced firearm user and may have actually endangered other folks in the store, shooting somewhat wildly while backing up. Hard to tell from what was shown, and very hard to Monday-morning quarterback an event like that. IMO, WG should have publicly rewarded him, but behind the scenes told him they'd put in security measures and that he should not be firing a gun in the store in the future. IOW, give him a second chance.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Just wonder how many lives, other than his own, he saved by his actions? He'll win his suit. Walgreen's should have rewarded him for his courage and then had a quiet, private word with him. Firing him should not have been an option.

But the fact that they ignored his request for a panic button and other measures will put them square on the hot seat. I also think the negative publicity has cost them some customers. I know one old man who won't spend another penny there.

ecocks

More telling will be whether he can prove his claim that he was never shown their policies or trained on what to do during a robbery. Particularly after he was robbed the previous time, failure to communicate and get a sign-off from him as to their policies will be decisive in a courtroom.

A company has the right to decide employee behavior on their premises but he has the right to seek damages for their inability to protect him and maintain a safe working environment for him.