• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lawful bearing, wearing, or carrying in Texas

Remington Irons

imported post

Although I currently live in Virginia I grew up in rural southTexas (60s and 70s). As I remember it wasn't uncommon for the ranchers in the area to open carry fireams. My dad's best friend, who owned a substantial ranch and a construction company, always wore a short barreled Colt on one hip and a big-*ssed Bowie on the other. I used to wear my .22 pistol on my hip when I went on hikes so I could plink when the mood struck. I didn't remember OC being an issue.

I joined the Army and spent a while travelling the US and the world and finally settled in Virginia, which is both OC and CC friendly. In the meantime my family all moved northward, stretchingfrom San Antonio to Dallas along the IH-35 corridor. I was shocked on a visit to Dallaswhen my brother told me that it was illegal to open carry in Texas and cited several horror stories.

When the h*ll did that happen? Or is it that in small towns and rural areas nobody cared (at least in the 60s and 70s)?

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It was always against the law to open carry in Texas, but for a long time, if you were of a certain ethnicity, it wasn't enforced. Most gun control laws(especially in the south)are rooted in a very racist history.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

Rush Creek - very well thought out and articulated thoughts; thank you and I am in complete agreement.

Too many on this site are narrow minded and welded to the thought process of 'asking/seeking permission' for what we won through blood in the birth of America.

How many of you on this site have the guts and moral integrity to put YOUR life on the line for something you believe in? Our Founding Fathers did and yet too many Americans of today are happy to whine rather than to stand and be counted as men. I gave ten years of my life to the USMC because I believed in my country, I put my life on the line then and I am still willing to put my life on the line for what I believe. How many of you can honestly say the same thing. Ranting on here is much easier for so many. :(

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I sure many of the Tories of Revolutionary times said the same thing to the patriots that we call our Founding Fathers.

The pen is stronger than the sword for those without the fortitude to carry the sword and morals to use it when needed.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I mean no direct attack on anybody. I do get frustrated with many of the posts I read on this site from people who are strong with the pen and yet appear weak with action. I am sure there are many veterans other than myself who have given of their blood for our freedoms.

Thank you, for all who have served in our armed forces.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I know that it is illegal to OC in Texas. I am a disabled Vet and I carry because I believe that is a right of all Americans. And yes, I fully understand what could, and most likely, will happen to me if/when caught. And yet I continue to do so because I also believe in "to thine own self be true."

have gun will travel

imported post

not only is oc in texas against the law but when it become legal to oc you will not be able to oc because you broke the law the first time

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

They have to catch him first! Besides, there are lots of people in TX carrying "illegally" (CC) because they believe the permit system to be illegal and therefore bad law (don't know anyone doing so OC).A "covert" example of civil disobedience if you will.

But even if he DOES get caught, perhaps HE is the guy who will finally make a state (and eventually federal) test-case out of this, which is one way to challenge bad/unconstitutional laws. And it works within the legal system instead of the legislative (political) system, which doesnt even meet every year anyway so it's been slow going here in TX lately. Maybe a concurrent 2-pronged effort on both those fronts would be more effective and bring about positive results sooner.

-- John D.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

I'd prefer not to be the 'test case' but I am willing to do so if they catch me. Like the song says, "you have to stand for something or you will fall for anything."

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One_Shot,

Pretty much no one wants to be a test case -- you don't see any of us volunteering, right? :uhoh:

And I can't post details fromMY past here in public (so I must plead the 5th here), but I've done my share of "civil disobedience" in the past...about 25 years worth of it. Only recently did I get my TX CHL but I am not at all happy about having to ask for permission from the state to exercise my right of self-defense (since no other choice "legally" was possible, with TX not having no-permit-required OC like the 43 less retarded states of the Union).

I believe rights are not to be sold or rented...but that's what the permit system does. IMO, it's therefore been illegal since Day One but no one has challenged it.

And states like HI have no way to carry at all...which isEVEN MOREillegal, but again, it has been that way maybe since statehood (1959). I just don't get why there has been no challege to obviously bad laws (especially those impacting life & liberty) which violate either the US Constitution or a state's constitution -- or often BOTH!

But HOPEFULLY the TX legislature will do something even though we have to wait unti 2011.

In the meantime, staying alive is top priority, so IMO, we do that however we see fit and worry about "the authorities" later.

Take care,

-- John D.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I can't say...I haven't heard that but even if I had, I don't believe anything politicians say.

And as I've said before,I'd like to see stand-up, aggressive LEADER governors, not simple, quiet"don't make waves place-holders" (like that pathetic do-nothing Arnold in California) in ALL the states -- let alone TX.

So let's see if Perry does anything before 2011, or if he just waits. And even in 2011, if he just waits for something to hit his desk.

Sorry, but I'm a skeptic.

-- John D.

SemperFiTexan

imported post

Gov Perry will only do what the polls show him. He governs with one finger in the air! Although I did vote for him in the primary it was just a vote for the least worst one on the ballot. Hopefully TEA party will get somebody with good credentials and without conspiracy theories onto the ballat in the future.