• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Machine-Gun Armed Police Patrol Violent London Neighborhoods

suntzu

imported post

Statesman wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Britain has several million trash cans in service which have a microchip embedded within their interiors. These chips contain software that analyzes the amount of trash versus recyclables a citizen discards and if the ratio is outside of acceptable parameters, the citizen receives a fine.

Some of their cops also carry a portable fingerprint scanning devices (called Lantern) so they can take fingerprints (two) from drivers they stop. The project I last worked on was responsible for this technology.

There are cameras all over the place in major cities.

I think umbrellas with metal tips have already been banned, but I am not sure about this.

A major defense contractor for the U.S. Army is developing a hand held device that will gather biometric data from individuals. Finger print scans, voice prints, iris scans, facial recognition.. probably a few more I don't recall. I have seen an informal demonstration with this device and it is scary. Just think if the government were of a mind to turn this loose on American citizens.

The dark and evil side of technology.
Welcome to 1984.

Next they'll be permanently binding your arms in legs, just in case you might hit or kick someone. Isn't authoritarianism grand?

Has anyone noticed the male officer is pointing his gun in the direction of the female officer? This is dangerous.

<sarcasm>
Britain needs to ban police officers from owning guns, for safety's sake. What if he accidentally pointed it at an innocent bystander?! :what: Won't they think of the children?! :what:</sarcasm>
Only the police are "well trained and professional" enough to carry a gun...

</end sarcasm.>

The UK is a joke--and the USSA is quickly heading down that road.

suntzu

imported post

canadian wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Your co-worker would have gone far under the government of Stalin and Brezhnev....

Or Obama...or Bush...or Clinton...etc.

Just because your government is doing it slower, doesn't mean it's not already on the same path.
Yes, I agree, but the Americans, unlike the British, have this nasty habit of resisting tyranny. The British merely accept tyranny and make no effort to resist it...

A government can only push its' people around as long as the people are willing to put up with it.

suntzu

imported post

old dog wrote:
MSC:

Those most responsible for this sort of Big Brotherism are the blind, sanctimonious fools who say "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." They are the ones who would accede to random home searches and electronic monitoring, mail covers and police stop-and-interview programs. After all, the government just wants to make the streets safe.

Ben was right: Those who would sacrifice a measure of freedom for a bit of temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety.
That is why I will NEVER, not EVER voluntarily allow or agree to a search of my person, vehicle, things or home. If they have to ask, they have no reason to search.

the sanctimonious of society can live in France for all I care, or in England. This is America as far as I am concerned, and if they want a big brother society then they should move to the UK, or Germany where they promote that kind of garbage and shovel it down the throats of the people by the dump truck load.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

PavePusher wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Britain has several million trash cans in service which have a microchip embedded within their interiors. These chips contain software that analyzes the amount of trash versus recyclables a citizen discards and if the ratio is outside of acceptable parameters, the citizen receives a fine.

Some of their cops also carry a portable fingerprint scanning devices (called Lantern) so they can take fingerprints (two) from drivers they stop. The project I last worked on was responsible for this technology.

I think umbrellas with metal tips have already been banned, but I am not sure about this.

A major defense contractor for the U.S. Army is developing a hand held device that will gather biometric data from individuals. Finger print scans, voice prints, iris scans, facial recognition.. probably a few more I don't recall. I have seen an informal demonstration with this device and it is scary. Just think if the government were of a mind to turn this loose on American citizens.

OK., the trash thing is new to me, and I lived there until two years ago. When did this start?
I wish I knew. I just heard about it over the weekend through an interview on Fox News with someone in the UK. I should have gotten the man's name and position/title. It kind of caught me off guard because it sounded so absurd that I thought he was kidding. But he didn't retract his comments or indicate that they were anything other but factual.

Bull Frog

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
PavePusher wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:

Fox News ???

Fox News? That's a joke!

OK., the trash thing is new to me, and I lived there until two years ago.  When did this start?
I wish I knew. I just heard about it over the weekend through an interview on Fox News with someone in the UK. I should have gotten the man's name and position/title. It kind of caught me off guard because it sounded so absurd that I thought he was kidding. But he didn't retract his comments or indicate that they were anything other but factual.
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Bull Frog

imported post

Interesting - I tried to make a denigrating comment about about Fox News, and it disappeared!

I mean, as if Fox News is meaningful ... snort, choke, laugh, barf .....

Bull Frog

imported post

Neil Young Lyrics
Southern Man Lyrics

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton
and I saw black
Tall white mansions
and little shacks.
Southern man
when will you
pay them back?
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle,
your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man
comin' round
Swear by God
I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Interesting - I tried to make a denigrating comment about about Fox News, and it disappeared!

I've never been a fan of them either. ;)

SouthernBoy

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:

Sure beats ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC. Those are so left leaning you can never get anything meaningful from them.

SouthernBoy

imported post

Lead Lobber wrote:
Neil Young Lyrics
Southern Man Lyrics

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

I saw cotton
and I saw black
Tall white mansions
and little shacks.
Southern man
when will you
pay them back?
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?

Southern man
better keep your head
Don't forget
what your good book said
Southern change
gonna come at last
Now your crosses
are burning fast
Southern man

Lily Belle,
your hair is golden brown
I've seen your black man
comin' round
Swear by God
I'm gonna cut him down!
I heard screamin'
and bullwhips cracking
How long? How long?
Just remember what Lynard Skynard said about Neil Young. "Southern man don't need him around anyhow".

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
Lead Lobber wrote:

Sure beats ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, and MSNBC. Those are so left leaning you can never get anything meaningful from them.
They lean in whatever direction will make them the most money at the time (by giving their viewers what they want to hear). American media isn't about news, it's about entertainment and making money- Fox included.

Harper1227

imported post

NigNog wrote:
If you track down the source of this map, the UK is listed as the #1 surveillance state in the world, with the US not far behind - thanks Dubya.

source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/12/worlds-top-surv

World’s Top Surveillance Societies — Updated with link

Privacy International, a UK privacy group, and the U.S.-based Electronic Privacy Information Center have put together a world map of surveillance societies, rating various nations for their civil liberties records.

Both the U.S. and the UK are colored black for “endemic surveillance,” as are Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Russia, China and Malaysia.

Among the trends that the two organizations have tracked:

* The 2007 rankings indicate an overall worsening of privacy protection across the world, reflecting an increase in surveillance and a declining performance on privacy safeguards.

* Concern over immigration and border control dominated the world agenda in 2007. Countries have moved swiftly to implement database, identity and fingerprinting systems, often without regard to the privacy implications for their own citizens

* The 2007 rankings show an increasing trend amongst governments to archive data on the geographic, communications and financial records of all their citizens and residents. This trend leads to the conclusion that all citizens, regardless of legal status, are under suspicion.

* The privacy trends have been fueled by the emergence of a profitable surveillance industry dominated by global IT companies and the creation of numerous international treaties that frequently operate outside judicial or democratic processes.

* Despite political shifts in the US Congress, surveillance initiatives in the US continue to expand, affecting visitors and citizens alike.

* Surveillance initiatives initiated by Brussels have caused a substantial decline in privacy across Europe, eroding protections even in those countries that have shown a traditionally high regard for privacy.

* The privacy performance of older democracies in Europe is generally failing, while the performance of newer democracies is becoming generally stronger.

* The lowest ranking countries in the survey continue to be Malaysia, Russia and China. The highest-ranking countries in 2007 are Greece, Romania and Canada.

* The 2006 leader, Germany, slipped significantly in the 2007 rankings, dropping from 1st to 7th place behind Portugal and Slovenia.

* In terms of statutory protections and privacy enforcement, the US is the worst ranking country in the democratic world. In terms of overall privacy protection the United States has performed very poorly, being out-ranked by both India and the Philippines and falling into the “black” category, denoting endemic surveillance.

* The worst ranking EU country is the United Kingdom, which again fell into the “black” category along with Russia and Singapore. However for the first time Scotland has been given its own ranking score and performed significantly better than England & Wales.

* Argentina scored higher than 18 of the 27 EU countries.

* Australia ranks higher than Slovakia but lower than South Africa and New Zealand.

UPDATE: As requested, here’s a link to the data. Apologies for not including it in the original post.