• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man confronted for open carry, video

MilProGuy

I want people to think of the open carry community as normal people who go about there day doing normal things - they just carry their gun openly instead of concealed.

But this guy ruins that image, in my opinion. He isn't just going about a normal routine openly carrying, he is interrupting a police officer conducting a traffic stop. You know how we all talk about increased situational awareness when we are open carrying? Well that is what is on the cops mind while he is in the middle of a traffic stop. It's not like the cop just saw a man walk by while open carrying during the traffic stop, the guy intentionally threw himself into the situation (walked right up the front of the car). This cop didn't see an open carrier, he saw a man walk right up to the ******* car during his traffic stop, and for the cherry on top the individual who was being disruptive just happened to have a firearm.

Look, I don't want a cop all up in my face while I'm conducting my everyday business, and out of respect I don't throw myself into their business.

Now after the fact, the cop seemed to be pissed about it and wanted to confront the young man again. This was wrong, but this could have been avoided by not being a jackass in the first place.

Yes, this man was within his rights, and so are the funeral protesters with the westboro baptist church.

Please don't bash your head against the keyboard until it's a bloody pulp, my friend, but I've just got to jump in and commend you for a very insightful and logical post; and I must say I agree totally with your sentiments on this issue. :dude:

Jack House

OC is right, in my opinion. If anyone is just filming a confrontation by cops they're justified, they're trying to protect themselves/others. If someone is displaying a firearm most of us here think that they're just trying to protect themselves/others but as soon as you combine the two, they're "a--holes"? He complied with the officers request to step away from the traffic stop. He wasn't OCing a rifle. He might have wanted a confrontation, but that is his right to do.

It is our right to watch those that "watch" us. It is also our right to carry a firearm around in everyday life. So why is it so stupid to do them both? Most cops realize that they enforce the law. Out of my limited dealings with officers none has ever tried to be the law, one tried his best to find a law I was breaking. So we need to make it plain to these cops that they are being watched and they are under scrutiny. Unless something is very sensitive then we should film everything that LEOs do in official business.
The issue isn't that he was recording a traffic stop while OC'ing, the issue is that he interrupted the traffic stop with no good reason other than to announce his presence. Which there was no need.

I don't agree that the officer was wrong to confront the individual. Rather I believe that a lecturing was warranted. That doesn't mean I think the officer went about it correctly, I certainly don't think there was a need for the officer to keep his hand on his firearm.