• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan 6-Year-Old Suspended From School for Making Gun With Hand

We-the-People

imported post

There is a difference between:

Defying authority that is acting in a lawful manner

AND

Defying authority that is acting under color of that authority while overstepping it.

I attend college. The school policy is no weapons even though state law specifically prohibits them from regulating weapons. I carry an empty holster every day of class. It's not got my firearm in it because I don't want to be expelled and challenging them that directly would result in expulsion. However, I am working on my grievance to file with the school directly challenging, on the record, their unlawful policy. The results of that grievane will be either changing their policy to be in compliance with state law OR denying it at which time I will move it up the chain, possibly including a civil lawsuit (though I don't know if that would fly).

They also have a policy that you can not smoke within 20 feet of their buildings. State law is only 10 feet from a door or window. Interestingly, their buildings are on city streets with sidewalks along side the buildings. The city property goes directly up to the building wall. I regularly walk right past the main administration building while smoking on the public sidewalk as well as down the city owned alleyway between two of the buildings. In the past, they haveticketed students for smoking on the sidewalks and word is that they are getting ready to crack down again. Problem is, they have no jurisdiction at all on the public sidewalk and the security officers are NOT police officers. They get no ID, no name, no nothing.

Both acts are defiance and the school policy is that you can not defy the school authorities. Policy makes no distinction between authorities acting within the law or not.I do make that distinction. I'm new to the school, in my second quarter, so we'll see how it goes. SMILE

UtahProf

imported post

ixtow wrote:
Theguy wrote:
onlurker wrote:
You guys tout critical thinking and all that, but it almost sounds like you guys are shooting at the hip with some of these responses. Take another read at the article:

"School officials also told the paper that Mason had been warned repeatedly against pretending to aim his hand at students but continued the behavior over several months."

<snip>
Lets try to apply some critical thinking in this group folks ;)
oh, believe me, I am, and when I see some proof that this is the case, I will (however grudgingly) accept this portion of the schools argument. Just because the school says it's so, don't mean it's so.

example: a school in this region was caught altering test scores on the SAT (or whatever test it was) did they admit it? not at first, for a while they maintained that they hadn't altered a thing.

and even if they can prove that they did warn him it doesn't make the rule he's breaking any less pants-on-head stupid.
I tend to agree. I've yet to meet the school administration staff who DIDN'T take the job just to have kids to abuse who can't fight back and no one will believe. They love playing Cruel God over them, making up whatever is needed to justify their behavior if and when it makes it to the press.

I'd sooner believe the words of the Obamessiah.
I have to agree - "middle management" is the worst group of people (in general) on this planet in the world of work ... they will say/do anything to cover their butts and love to let every one know at every turn that they have "power" ... pitiful. Just like many others in government - "rule by fear" ... as people transcend that "fear" they realize that these tyrants really have no power ... it is an illusion.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress." - Frederick Douglass

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We-the-People wrote:
There is a difference between:

Defying authority that is acting in a lawful manner

AND

Defying authority that is acting under color of that authority while overstepping it.
What about the law itself being the crime in need of defiance?

Being law-abiding means nothing if the law has been manipulated and written by the tyrants, for the tyrants.

Those who cling to 'law-abiding' as something honorable are lower than dirt.