• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mills Fleet Farm DOES NOT ALLOW OPEN CARRY!

BROKENSPROKET

Is this what you are looking for?

I would hypothetically erect signs, photograph them and/or have a third party witness them, copy the photos and/or witness statements to law enFORCEment, save my originals - AND REMOVE THE SIGNS now protected by §943.13(2)(am)

I don't see the criminal offense, however, as well. My reading is that it is a Class B forfeiture, which is a $1000 fine, no jail time.

I was looking at current statute. And all I could find is a Class B forteture as well for anything under 943.13. The I looked all the ammendments to to Chapter 943 from Act 35 and it'still a Class B Forfeiture.

Under currrent statute, 943.13 is "Trespass to land". It uses the term 'land', not 'business', 'buidling', or even 'private property'.

Unless there is a Fed. law, I don't see a statute that can be interpreted that we are requred to leave if asked for a lawful activity. I mean, how long did alot of people believe that open carry was illegal. Is it something like that?

Pyro01

Went into Mill's fleet farm yesterday to buy some dog food, and was open carrying my Taurus 24/7 OSS in 45 acp and everyone was real pleasant, so at least nothing has changed at my Mill's. They have handguns now though, I know this is old news, but I'm happy because they will probably carry more handgun ammo and a wider variety.

xd40 neenah

I have contacted the regional manager in the past about open carry in the Appleton area. His response
was that open carry was fine. I would suggest that the OP contact the regional manager via email by the website or by contacting by phone. You should be able to get that number by contacting the store. Mill's Fleet Farm has always been Firearm friendly as far as I know. I have OC'ed several times without issue.
When I contacted them, it was in question of others speculation. I had posted a thread previously about it. The thread was "Businesses that welcome open carry" and was post #23.

deadlifter

I have contacted the regional manager in the past about open carry in the Appleton area. His response
was that open carry was fine. I would suggest that the OP contact the regional manager via email by the website or by contacting by phone. You should be able to get that number by contacting the store. Mill's Fleet Farm has always been Firearm friendly as far as I know. I have OC'ed several times without issue.
When I contacted them, it was in question of others speculation. I had posted a thread previously about it. The thread was "Businesses that welcome open carry" and was post #23.

I have contacted corporate as stated, and in my reply just a few before yours I posted their response.

I have read, and have heard that Fleet Farm was fine with open carry, but when told by someone who is supposed to help run the store that they are not, my first course of action was to contact them. My second was to stop by here and relay what happened.

I did reply back to their email and stated that I hope they have had contact with the Ass. Manager and made him aware of their own policies, so he doesnt tell anyone else they arent welcome in their store.

Drakon

I went in there-cash in hand to buy a new compact for ccw a few weeks ago. BAD EXPERIENCE. First the guy wanted to see my ID to see if I was old enough- I'm 35. Then I asked to see a few- with a little small chat I asked if they were going to get more models in. He said sales had been horrible and they may if sales picked up. Then of course he asked me what I wanted the new compact for. I said I was excited to see the new law passed allowing CCW and keeping OC. He promptly said "I'M NOT!! I used to be a police officer and I know what its like to walk up to cars and people with firearms." Needless to say I walked out and took my business elsewhere. With a salesman like that it is no wonder their hand gun sales are poor.

Which store was this? Having worked at a big box store before I can tell you that you should have asked to see his manager and filed a complaint. If you don't point out folks like this they won't go away by themselves.

MKEgal

I got an email reply from the same guy @ FF.
If I'm reading between the lines correctly, all stores have very recently been reminded of company policy.

Thank you very much for being our customer and for taking the time to visit our Mills Fleet Farm website. Let me assure you that we at Mills Fleet Farm are concerned about customer satisfaction.

In your email, you had listed two requests; the first request was what our company policy is regarding the lawful carry of firearms, both open and concealed. Our company policy is that we support the customer's right to lawfully carry. At this time, open carry and after November 1st, the ability to conceal carry. These customers are always welcome in our stores.

Your second question was our policy regarding firearms being brought in for service. All of our stores have signage posted that all firearms brought in for repair or service, must be opened and checked at the Customer Service Counter. I have reviewed the two situations you have brought to my attention and let me assure you that all store locations understand the company stance on this issue.

Again, thank you for taking the time to visit our website and we hope to be able to serve you again in the future.

MILLS FLEET FARM

Derrick
Manager of Loss Prevention and Front End Operations

MKEgal

BROKENSPROKET said:
you also said on FB that it's a criminal offense which carries a sentence of 9 months in jail and $10,000 fine. Since you got that specific, I assumed you knew what you are talking about, but I have been going over Chapter 943 for several hours now and I cannot find what you are talking aobut.

Could you please cite the statute that you get this information from?
Modifications to 943.13 start on the very last lines of pg. 16.

See 943.13 (1m)c2 on the middle right of pg 17:
... enters or remains in any part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a NRB, or land, if the owner or occupant... has notified the actor not to enter or remain...

Then 941.13 (2)(bm)1 on the middle left of pg. 18:
In this paragraph, "sign" mean a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2 that is at least 5x7".

941.13 (2)(bm) 2 (am) lower left of pg. 18:
For the purposes of sub. 1m (c)2, 4, & 5, an owner or occupant of a NRB... has notified an individual... has posted a sign located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies & any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign.

OK... that's all from the new bill.
For penalty, look to the existing statute 941.13
http://legis.wisconsin.gov/RSB/STATS.HTML

943.13 Trespass to land
943.13(1m) Whoever does any of the following is subject to a Class B forfeiture:
(b) Enters or remains on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises.
[The way it's written, it includes grounds of a mall, for example, so I'll have to alter another of my posts.]
939.52(3)(b) For a Class B forfeiture, a forfeiture not to exceed $1,000.

OK, so I retract the part about police being allowed to seize & destroy your pistol.
But the notification is presumed to be done by posting a sign, unlike Minnesota, which requires in-person notification.

Just for reference:
939.50 Classification of felonies.
939.51 Classification of misdemeanors.
939.51(3)(a) For a Class A misdemeanor, a fine not to exceed $10,000 or imprisonment not to exceed 9 months, or both.

I don't remember which part of the new law I was referring to, that you referenced above, but it appears to be a Class A misdemeanor, whatever it was.

samsam

Which store was this? Having worked at a big box store before I can tell you that you should have asked to see his manager and filed a complaint. If you don't point out folks like this they won't go away by themselves.

Hudson... I know there is a lot of stuff I should have said and done differently but I was kinda pissed and just left

Tom Maassen

I got an email reply from the same guy @ FF.
If I'm reading between the lines correctly, all stores have very recently been reminded of company policy.

Must have been a form letter, because I finally received the same response today as well. Went into the FF in West Bend this afternoon, armed with my piece and a copy of this letter. Regretably, I didn't see the same guy again, but a department manager was very friendly. At first he approached me within the first 3 feet of entering the building, glanced at my gun, and asked if he could help me find anything in the store today. I replied that I was just browsing, and he handed me a flier for this weeks ads and reminded me to ask anyone I see if I need assistance. He then turned around and gave the same pitch to the people who came in behind me.

Walked around for a bit, bought some tools that I was actually there to shop for, and then I headed back to the weapons section. Browsed around for a few moments amongst the cases (didn't find anything I just couldn't live without), and declined assistance from the guy working the counter. I browsed through the auto section a little bit, and then headed up to the check out. Cashier didn't even bat an eye, just asked if I'd had any trouble finding anything. A very pleasant experience.

I was out the door before i realized that all three of the employees that I had interacted with hadn't said a word about my weapon, but all of them had seen it. I would assume this means that the stores have received the same email from Derrick.

Drakon

Hudson... I know there is a lot of stuff I should have said and done differently but I was kinda pissed and just left

Pretty far from where I'm at or I'd pay them a visit. I have done the same thing before as well even though I know better. Employees don't neccesarily represent their employers the way they should. In the retail world this is, as I'm sure you realize, pretty common. Maybe this guy had a bad day and let some of his personal issues/beliefs slip out of his mouth when he knew better. Maybe the guy is someone that management would like to cull from the team and are just looking for an excuse. At a minimum letting his superior know that he is sending customers(read that as $$$$) out the door will lead to some action regarding his conduct. I would welcome any customer complaint I received, whether warranted or not, because it gave me an opportunity to train the team I helped manage. In some cases it gives a manager the documentation they need to get rid of problem employees. Which makes termination of employment a slam dunk if warranted. In a case like yours, looking in from the outside, this fella would be a problem employee. You can't have the guy working a firearms counter tearing into folks who are coming to buy them. I would encourage you to go back after you calm down. If you encounter the same attitude from this guy demand a manager and state your case before walking out. It will help the next person who goes to this store in search of a firearm if nothing else.

BROKENSPROKET

I don't remember which part of the new law I was referring to, that you referenced above, but it appears to be a Class A misdemeanor, whatever it was.

943.13 was what you referenced as a Class A misdemeanor, and it is not, as you have just clarified that it is a Class B foreiture. There is a FB post you need to correct. Maybe you should start a new post here and on WCI-FB and own up to spreading misinformation and set the record straight for all of those that may have believed you.

I know I've posted this answer in at least one other thread...

Trespassing is a substantial misdemeanor crime, something like $10,000 & 9mo in jail possible, and according to the new law you are considered warned to stay out if they've posted a sign that's at least 5x7" (TINY!!) near every entrance, where it could reasonably be expected to be seen.

So no, they don't have to tell you in person, since there's a sign at the door. They can just call the cops. The only out you might have is to get a picture of the entrance (tell whoever you call from jail to run right over & get a photo before they put up a larger more obvious sign) showing that the sign wasn't plainly visible.

Last edited:

AaronS

I have contacted corporate as stated, and in my reply just a few before yours I posted their response.

I have read, and have heard that Fleet Farm was fine with open carry, but when told by someone who is supposed to help run the store that they are not, my first course of action was to contact them. My second was to stop by here and relay what happened.

I did reply back to their email and stated that I hope they have had contact with the Ass. Manager and made him aware of their own policies, so he doesnt tell anyone else they arent welcome in their store.

Ass Manager, got to love it... Just don't turn your back on him!!!

Thanks for following up on this. You had me a bit on edge as I shop at Mills a lot. Never had any issue...