• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movin' to Kentucky

N00blet45

imported post

I'm planning on moving to Kentucky in about 7 months and I've got a question about the CC permit. My wife isn't a US citizen and I want her to get a permit. I know that Kentucky put in some new requirement that you have to be a US citizen and not just a lawful permanent resident. I also know that Kentucky has reciprocity with a few states that issue non-resident permits. Does Kentucky recognize the non-resident permits? Is there any way I could get a non-resident permit for my wife from say Utah or Florida that would be an accepted CC permit in Kentucky? And is there any way to then transfer it into a Kentucky permit instead of having to renew it as a non-resident permit from the other state? Or am I just s-o-l and going to have to wait for my wife to be granted citizenship?

The main reason I want to get her a permit is because she isn't familiar with American society and American laws so much and I don't want her to get stopped by the cops and end up in jail because she had her gun in the wrong place in the vehicle or she was wearing a raincoat over the firearm. Also she hasn't been exposed much to firearms and it might be more comfortable for her to carry concealed without drawing too much attention to herself at first. I'm sure she doesn't want to be hassled her first time carrying out in public. And is OC legal for a non-citizen? I assume it is but I'm not sure.

JohnKelly

imported post

My understanding is that KY recognizes permits from any state that recognizes KY's. This includes Florida and Utah.

Also open carry is legal by anyone over 18 yrs of age (no felonies, etc.), and does not depend upon citizenship status.

I don't think you can transfer or exchange one state's permit for a KY permit. You can contact the State Police and maybe they can help with that.

Here are the statutes:
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/527-00/CHAPTER.HTM

mike m

imported post

he is correct as soon as you get to ky you have 30 days to get a KY D.L then you have to wait 60 days to get a ccdw but until you can you can open carry any place you can C.C.. Including your wife, you dont have to be a resident to open carry in KY

also your non resident permit wont be any good once you become a resident in KY

TrueBrit

imported post

mike m wrote:
he is correct as soon as you get to ky you have 30 days to get a KY D.L then you have to wait 60 days to get a ccdw but until you can you can open carry any place you can C.C.. Including your wife, you dont have to be a resident to open carry in KY

also your non resident permit wont be any good once you become a resident in KY

Mike, not to be picky, but the non resident permit is fine in KY, irrespective of ones residence in KY. A Canadian buddy of mine inIndependence, KY, not yet a citizen, CCs on a Floridanon resident permit. This citizenship crap is about to be overturned soon, an English permanent resident has been denied a KY CDWL, and has filed suit. I was lucky, and got my KY CDWL before the rules were changed last July. The KSP assure me that it remains valid, I just cannot renew it in three years time! Go figure! No biggie , I mostly OC anyway. Maybe our new comrade NOOblet45 could contact Joe Kalil, a Northern KY instructor, who offers the Florida class, slightly longer than the KY class. Joe will know the form on this one. He is a Director of the KY Coalition to Carry Concealed, NOOblet , maybe check out the KC3 website, and email Joe?

BTW, Mike and NOOblet, welcome to OCDO!

TrueBrit.

N00blet45

imported post

Hopefully it'll be overturned before we move. If not we might have to get a permit from a different state. Isn't that kind of retarded to write in a requirement that keeps people from getting a permit in Kentucky when they can still get a permit from another state that is recognized in Kentucky? The state of Kentucky is losing money (although a negligable amount) from LPRs who must get a permit froma different state or who moved out of Kentucky because of that requirement. Also what idiot wrote this in without considering that there are LPRs who might want to be armed? Obviously the federal government doesn't consider them a threat if they granted them a visa. Oh man those non-citizens can't give them cc permits...even though they can carry openly...

Here's another question. Does my wife have tohave a SSN (assuming that this BS citizenship requirement gets thrown out or my wife becomes a citizen so she can get a KY permit)? She doesn't have one because it is a 'voluntary' system and she doesn't want to be in the crappy system. Will she need a SSN or can she use her alien resident number or TIN? If that'sthe case we might just have to find a non-resident's permit from another state anyways.