• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must inform question.

hermannr

I have a question that has been going through my head for awhile now. You guys already know "must inform" is totally foreign to me, and something I still have to wrap my head around.

Does the openly carried sidearm "inform" the officer, or do you still have to verbally inform them also?

davidmcbeth

Banned
It is my advice in states that require you to inform (any yes, if you are open carry I think you still have to inform if state law requires it) that one carries 2 guns ...

You only need to inform you are carrying, not how many. So if he takes one you still have one.

hrdware

I have a question that has been going through my head for awhile now. You guys already know "must inform" is totally foreign to me, and something I still have to wrap my head around.

Does the openly carried sidearm "inform" the officer, or do you still have to verbally inform them also?

The statues say you must notify on any detention, arrest, or routine traffic stop. It does not differentiate between open or concealed.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The statues say you must notify on any detention, arrest, or routine traffic stop. It does not differentiate between open or concealed.

And why would it .. in low light conditions it may be that observable ..

Of course, these laws are all BS IMO. OP should work to get the law changed.

Gary S

I wish we could change it, when i got pulled over for speeding, i pulled over rolled my window down and had my drivers license, cc license and insurance in my left hand out my window for the Leo to see first, and my cc license was on top, my right hand on my steering wheel in plane site. The Leo approached me with gun drawn yelling to roll all my windows down, i rolled all windows down except for the one that did not work, i was so nervous i was trying to tell him this was the first time being pulled over with my cc. He told me he was nervous as well, i don't know how im the one the gun was drawn on. Any way i got a ticket he told me i did ok and him and his back up who pulled up as my licenses were being ran, told me i was free to go. I never felt like a criminal before being pulled over it was almost enough for me to stop carrying, but im not going to allow them to win. I do however watch my speed when driving.

rpyne

I wish we could change it, when i got pulled over for speeding, i pulled over rolled my window down and had my drivers license, cc license and insurance in my left hand out my window for the Leo to see first, and my cc license was on top, my right hand on my steering wheel in plane site. The Leo approached me with gun drawn yelling to roll all my windows down, i rolled all windows down except for the one that did not work, i was so nervous i was trying to tell him this was the first time being pulled over with my cc. He told me he was nervous as well, i don't know how im the one the gun was drawn on. Any way i got a ticket he told me i did ok and him and his back up who pulled up as my licenses were being ran, told me i was free to go. I never felt like a criminal before being pulled over it was almost enough for me to stop carrying, but im not going to allow them to win. I do however watch my speed when driving.

Unless your state has an implied consent law (most of which are unconstitutional), the window down demand is a clear violation of your 4th Amendment rights. If you don't file a formal complaint and, if necessary, take legal action, you have already let them win.

Gary S

Unless your state has an implied consent law (most of which are unconstitutional), the window down demand is a clear violation of your 4th Amendment rights. If you don't file a formal complaint and, if necessary, take legal action, you have already let them win.

I did not know that about the fourth can you tell me where to find that info at relating to rolling my windows down . I assumed it was so they can see inside the car. Im sure its to late to file any complaint now seeing how its been several months.

hermannr

I did not know that about the fourth can you tell me where to find that info at relating to rolling my windows down . I assumed it was so they can see inside the car. Im sure its to late to file any complaint now seeing how its been several months.

If you have heavly tinted windows...get rid of that extra tint. They can look into my car just fine through the windows. Yes, best keep you speed under control...no need to give them an excuse to stop you.

One of the reasons I really like the car I have now...if any of your exterior lights goes out, (display on the computer screen) it tells you...brake light out, headlight out, even license plate light.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm thinking Oklahoman's might want to start a database to compile reports of police abuses and indignities every time one can be laid at the feet of must-inform.

You know, the cops who automatically disarm every carrier. Get enough reports collected and you can make the case that cops are just using it to run serial numbers. Then compare to the number of stolen guns actually found by that method.

Gary S

If you have heavly tinted windows...get rid of that extra tint. They can look into my car just fine through the windows. Yes, best keep you speed under control...no need to give them an excuse to stop you.

One of the reasons I really like the car I have now...if any of your exterior lights goes out, (display on the computer screen) it tells you...brake light out, headlight out, even license plate light.

no my windows are not tinted heavily just for that reason and i always check my car out once a week for lights or any other reason to be pulled over i just have a heavy foot at times.

I'm thinking Oklahoman's might want to start a database to compile reports of police abuses and indignities every time one can be laid at the feet of must-inform.

You know, the cops who automatically disarm every carrier. Get enough reports collected and you can make the case that cops are just using it to run serial numbers. Then compare to the number of stolen guns actually found by that method.

I have not been disarmed my main issue was with the Leo acting like i was a criminal when i have him my licenses, he was ordering me to roll all my windows down, as he had his firearm out and trained on me.

rpyne

By rolling down your windows you may be considered to being consenting to a search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I&feature=related

Along with other videos from Flex Your Rights.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
no my windows are not tinted heavily just for that reason and i always check my car out once a week for lights or any other reason to be pulled over i just have a heavy foot at times.

I have not been disarmed my main issue was with the Leo acting like i was a criminal when i have him my licenses, he was ordering me to roll all my windows down, as he had his firearm out and trained on me.

Add it to the database. Mine was just an example.