• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my schools armory

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

backdraft1009 wrote:
Hawkflyer wrote:
The real issue here is do you care more about keeping your gun in the school armory than you do about this guys career and personal freedom?

Regard
Sir, please do not question my intentions, the "real" issue is precisely as i stated it in the origional question. I care only to discover the opinions of others that know more of this topic than I so that I may take correct actions. I have no intentions of arguing with anyone but please do not challenge a justified search for knowledge as if it were a selfish indeavor with no regard for the freedoms of others.
Respectfully,
Adams

Either you misread or misunderstood the nature of my comment.

I am not challenging the search for facts, or the integrity of anyone. I am suggesting that in my extensive experience with BATFE, that they will not care if the FFL is required to do a particular job. ALL they will care about is if a person holding a FFL violates the law as BATFE interprets it.

If your guy is willing to take the risk that is his affair. If you decide to take it with him that is between you and him. But I still think that before anyone proceeds with a transaction of this nature, the FFL holder should look into it himself.

Regards

VAopencarry

imported post

I received a reply from the ATF. 'They' stated it would be illegal for a FFL to return a firearm back to a person under 21.

LEO 229

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I received a reply from the ATF. 'They' stated it would be illegal for a FFL to return a firearm back to a person under 21.
Did they clarify what "return" meant? Under any conditions??

What if the dealer wasat a shooting range not acting as a dealer?

Heis handed a gun to admire bythefather of a 19 year old standing next to him. Thefather needs to step away and advises him to return the gun to his son so that theson may continue his target practice.

If the father leaves and does not return right away and the dealer needs to go home.... what would the dealer do with the firearm??

I cannot believe I am posting questions! I normally answer them... :D

What if the dealer is at a shooting range as a firearms instructor. He is teaching an 18 year old to shoot... It is legal for someone 18 years and older to possess the handgun. The instructorcan take the gun to inspect but would not be able to return itto the student to shoot?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
This does not make sense - in any event, if being an FFL on the side affects this guys ability to do his job, he should step down from that position or turn in his FFL.

backdraft1009

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
thanks bud, although i question it one negative is all i need. its not important enough to test given its possible consequences. i reckon ill just have a friend outside of school hang on to it for me. thanks fellas for all your help.
Adams

casullshooter

imported post

Good Man , if a friend is going to keep it for you it would be a good idea to get a lockable case for storage if you do not already have one . This will keep a friend of your friend that you do not know from gaining access easily .

Regards ,

CS

packingdressagerider

Some where in Rockbridge County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Mike wrote:
This does not make sense - in any event, if being an FFL on the side affects this guys ability to do his job, he should step down from that position or turn in his FFL.
That means nobody can keep their freaken guns at the Institute. Can you imagine how many Cadets are under 21, and are storing their firearms?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

packingdressagerider wrote:
Mike wrote:
That means nobody can keep their freaken guns at the Institute. Can you imagine how many Cadets are under 21, and are storing their firearms?

This is not surprising to me at all. While it is an inconvenience, there are ways to work with the situation.

What the school needs to do, is either have a non FFL employee that can deal with checking in and returning weapons to the younger cadets, or establish a different policy on storage of personal weapons.

Kudos to Backdraft1009 for sorting all this out ahead of time.

Regards