• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

News Reports: Green Bay, WI city council crushes Mayor's effort to ban gun carry in parks!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Milwaukee county's ordinance has a clear prohibition of fire arms in county parks.

47.05. Use of firearms, fireworks; hunting with bow and arrow and trapping; throwing of missiles; making of fires; deposit or breakage of tin cans, bottles and glassware; prohibitions. (1)Use of firearms and fireworks; hunting with bow and arrow; trapping. No person shall carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description, nor shall any person engage in trapping within any park or parkway without a written permit of the department of parks, recreation and culture; nor shall any person hunt with bow and arrow within any park or parkway. No person shall carry, fire or discharge any gun, pistol or firearm, nor any rocket, torpedo or other fireworks of any description upon any premises owed or leased by Milwaukee County which is not part of the county parks and parkways. The word "gun" shall include airgun.

Email sent to all county supervisors

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Here is the first reply from the County Milwaukee County Supervisors.

This man sounds like he is on our side.

Re: Contact Supervisor Sanfelippo‏
i_yellowshield.gif
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk Sent: Wed 9/09/09 1:39 PM
To: j.gleason@hotmail.com

Mr. Gleason;

Earlier this year I was contacted by a constituent regarding this very same issue. As a result, I requested that the County's Corporation Counsel review the matter with regards to legality of the county ordinance. Corp. Counsel has assured me that the county is within its rights to enact such an ordinance.

I am not an attorney so I cannot comment on the legality myself or to the correctness of the decision. However, I can tell you that my own personal opinion is rooted in my nature as a strict constitutionalist and it is my opinion therefore that the this law would be unenforceable. Complicating matters further is the fact that while the law is clearly black and white, there are judges out there with their own personal agendas that will try to rewrite or simply ignore the laws granted to us in our constitution.

Unfortunately, whenever this issue comes out, our governor reverts to his often repeated and always misguided statement that he does not want to see our state turned into the wild west. The fact of the matter is most other states around the country have enacted laws permitting citizens to carry firearms and none of them have experienced any public "shootouts" because of it. The legislators of this state need to get off their rear-ends and pass a concealed carry law to clarify things once and for all.

Thanks for writing,

Joe Sanfelippo

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I did receive a call from Chris Larson's assistant. He stated that they are very confident in the advice they receive from the corporate counsel on the matter and feel their ordinance is enforceable.

I then sent them this reply by email:

Mr. Larson,

At this time I am currently not living in Milwaukee. However I do still have family scattered throughout the City of Milwaukee and Milwaukee county.

This issue is not only important to me and my family but to all taxpayers as any suit would inevitably fall in the pockets of the tax payers.

I am attaching a copy of a Federal Ruling that was dated yesterday 09.09.2009 concerning the issue of officers detaining a person lawfully open carrying a fire arm in a movie theater. This decision sets precedence and will surely open Milwaukee County up for a civil suit in equity should any county officer enforce this pre-empted ordinance.

Can Milwaukee County afford such a suit?

Please share this information with the other county supervisors as necessary.

i then attached a copy of the Federal Ruling in the St John Case.