• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Night Sights, Yes or No

Weak 9mm

imported post

They help with the light too, think about it, it casts a shadow over the sights if they aren't tritium powered. The light source is in front of them... They work quite well in no-light situations with a supplemental artificial light aiding you.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Seif5034 wrote:
Legba wrote:
"Know your target and what is beyond it" always applies. If it's so dark that you can't work your sights otherwise, then you'd better be intimately familiar with your surroundings before firing.
this is true. I think nightsghts were created for more of low light conditions b/c otherwise you could just put a tac. light on your gun

Good luck in your gunfight! While you're assessing the target, checking the background, fiddling with your light, and thinking about the court case, the goblin is singlemindedly focused upon doing as much damage as possible to YOU.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

The flipside of that is if you don't do those things properly, good luck at your trial.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Adrenaline and reality don't work like that.

That's why they talk about "tunnel vision", "auditory exclusion", "memory gaps", and so forth.

The reality is most people end up focusing totally upon the threat and engage it. Hopefully, they'll have ingrained some training into their habits--check behind them, do a wound check, and so forth.

If you're so worried about liability, then keep the gun in the house. More than likely, there won't be time for all the assessments anyway.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Which is why innocent people get shot, because Harry Homeowner thought his daughters boyfriend was a burglar and shot in the dark without identifying the target.

cREbralFIX

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Which is why innocent people get shot, because Harry Homeowner thought his daughters boyfriend was a burglar and shot in the dark without identifying the target.

So don't be the boyfriend sneaking around the girlfriend's house...or at least be very stealthy.:celebrate

Yodaforce

imported post

I guess NS have their place with each individual, but I feel that beingwell trained and familiar with your weapon is of more importance. I can aquire my target (within 25 yards), shut out all light sources, unholster, raise into shooting position, and still strike my target with 5 shots consecutively. That is in complete darkness. I don't recommend going out and shooting in the dark, but when you raise your weapon, you should be able to KNOW where your POA is at, sights or no sights. Besides, if it that dark, evasion is the best policy, not shooting. If you can't see your target enough to be able to shoot it, then your target cannot see you. Take cover until you CAN see.

Joe Sixpack

imported post

been thinking about getting some night sights on my pt92 since it's the one i keep loaded by my bed and such.

problem is it requires a little bit of cutting/drilling on the slide.. the sights are fixed.. if it's done right night sights are great, but if it's done wrong it can really wreck some guns.

but ya night sights are nice.