• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

not exactly open carry question, but.............

RK3369

What's the problem between SC and Georgia not honoring each other's permits? Neither state is OC I believe. I know SC is not, so does anybody know why there is no reciprocity agreement? I occasionally travel to Savannah and am curious as to what is allowed in GA. I know I can have the weapon in the car under GA law, same as SC, but apparently can't carry it anywhere on my SC permit.

RK3369

I think you are correct..........

did some searching and it appears that GA has no "training" requirement similar to the SC CWP class and qualification requirement. Based on that alone, it would appear that GA should honor an SC permit, because it seems that SC has a higher standard of training requirement (even though it's only an 8 hour class). Well, I'm sure politics also enters into it.

Fallschirjmäger

Pretty much covered. As has been notes SC requires training, GA does not.

GA says "We'll recognize anyone who recognizes ours."
SC says "We won't recognize anyone's who doesn't require training, and you can't get out of it by getting a non-resident permit from a state we Do recognize."

GA says, "Call me, maybe."

RK3369

so once again..............

Political BS trumps all, and the common man goes away with nothing.........

we are stupid for sending the same jerks back to office each time they come up for reconfirmation.

RK3369

just a guess.......

but I think it's because MS has open carry and SC does not. SC requires training and the permit for CC, but does not have OC as a general law. MS allows OC but I think requires a permit for CC. SC doesn't reciprocate with Alabama either, and Alabama has OC also. SC does reciprocate with NC, but NC has "limited" open carry, which can be limited by individual localities, so I'm not really sure if SC considers that true "OC". It's confusing but it's the only reason I can see at this point. Somebody else may have a better explanation.

Glocklover20

but I think it's because MS has open carry and SC does not. SC requires training and the permit for CC, but does not have OC as a general law. MS allows OC but I think requires a permit for CC. SC doesn't reciprocate with Alabama either, and Alabama has OC also. SC does reciprocate with NC, but NC has "limited" open carry, which can be limited by individual localities, so I'm not really sure if SC considers that true "OC". It's confusing but it's the only reason I can see at this point. Somebody else may have a better explanation.

Maybe....Still makes no sense to me since in SC I would still need my permit for CC, I cant OC in SC anyways.