• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama's postion on gun control

Shovelhead

Regular Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
315
Location
NO VA, ,
imported post

Might be an "oldie", but I haven't seen anything about this in the media lately.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,289373,00.html


Obama told churchgoers at the Vernon Park Church of God on Chicago's South Side that too many young lives are being claimed by violence and more must be done to combat the problem.

From South Central L.A. to Newark, New Jersey, there's an epidemic of violence that's sickening the soul of this nation," the Illinois senator told the crowd. "The violence is unacceptable and it's got to stop."

Nearly three dozen Chicago students have been killed this year, according to Chicago Public Schools. Obama said that figure is higher than the number of Illinois serviceman who've died in Iraq in 2007.

We need to express our collective anger through collective action," Obama said.

He said the government needs to permanently reinstate an assault weapons ban and close regulatory loopholes that protect unscrupulous gun dealers.

He also said government should support and fund more after-school programs to keep kids off the streets. But some of the burden must also be shouldered by residents who need to do more to raise and protect at-risk children, he added.

We have an entire generation of young men in our society who have become products of violence, and we are going to have to break the cycle," Obama said. "There are too many young men out there who have gone down the wrong path."

He later added, "There's a reason they go out and shoot each other, because they don't love themselves. And the reason they don't love themselves is because we are not loving them enough."
 

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
5,831
Location
Southeast, Missouri, USA
imported post

Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx. His anti-gun positions have been well documented throughout the forum, however, since the SQL corruption, you will not be able to search for the threads :(
 

imperialism2024

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
3,047
Location
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx. His anti-gun positions have been well documented throughout the forum, however, since the SQL corruption, you will not be able to search for the threads :(
Then again, I don't know how good of a comparison that is. I'd tend to think that Marx and true Marxists would tend to be very pro-gun, at least for the people and not the capitalist-run government... You can't fight back against corruption and oppression with butter knives. Granted, I haven't read much of their stuff, so I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me.

Just an example of how the gun control issue is almost entirely irrelevant to left/right, liberal/conservative, red/blue political ideology.
 

expvideo

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
1,487
Location
Lynnwood, WA, ,
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
The negatives of the three remaining two-party system candidates are well established on OCDO. Our dilemma (or is it a tri-lemma?) is what to do about it?
I'm writing in Ron Paul.
 

Euromutt

Regular Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
151
Location
Lacey, Washington, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx.
Deepdiver, you ever read Marx? Seriously, Obama doesn't come close, at least if you define the left/right axis purely as one of government interference in the economy. Marx founded communism, that is the collective (read: government) control of all means of production.

That said, Obama is definitely further along the axis of wishy-washiness than Marx ever was. Marx is noted for remarking (concerning the Franco-Prussian war of 187-1871) that "it is a typically Hohenzollern [Prussian royal family] idea that a people which continues to defend itself after its standing army has been destroyed is committing a crime." Seems Marx didn't disapprove of an armed citizenry resisting either an invader or a repressive government.
 

expvideo

Regular Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2006
Messages
1,487
Location
Lynnwood, WA, ,
imported post

Euromutt wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx.
Deepdiver, you ever read Marx? Seriously, Obama doesn't come close, at least if you define the left/right axis purely as one of government interference in the economy. Marx founded communism, that is the collective (read: government) control of all means of production.

That said, Obama is definitely further along the axis of wishy-washiness than Marx ever was. Marx is noted for remarking (concerning the Franco-Prussian war of 187-1871) that "it is a typically Hohenzollern [Prussian royal family] idea that a people which continues to defend itself after its standing army has been destroyed is committing a crime." Seems Marx didn't disapprove of an armed citizenry resisting either an invader or a repressive government.
Yeah. We know. It was an exageration.
 

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
5,831
Location
Southeast, Missouri, USA
imported post

expvideo wrote:
Euromutt wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx.
Deepdiver, you ever read Marx? Seriously, Obama doesn't come close, at least if you define the left/right axis purely as one of government interference in the economy. Marx founded communism, that is the collective (read: government) control of all means of production.

That said, Obama is definitely further along the axis of wishy-washiness than Marx ever was. Marx is noted for remarking (concerning the Franco-Prussian war of 187-1871) that "it is a typically Hohenzollern [Prussian royal family] idea that a people which continues to defend itself after its standing army has been destroyed is committing a crime." Seems Marx didn't disapprove of an armed citizenry resisting either an invader or a repressive government.
Yeah. We know. It was an exageration.
Thank you, Expvideo.

Marx is typically a poster child of the far left in all matters and I made the comment colloquially rather than analytically.
 

imperialism2024

Regular Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2007
Messages
3,047
Location
Catasauqua, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
expvideo wrote:
Euromutt wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
Yeah, well, Obama is somewhere left of Karl Marx.
Deepdiver, you ever read Marx? Seriously, Obama doesn't come close, at least if you define the left/right axis purely as one of government interference in the economy. Marx founded communism, that is the collective (read: government) control of all means of production.

That said, Obama is definitely further along the axis of wishy-washiness than Marx ever was. Marx is noted for remarking (concerning the Franco-Prussian war of 187-1871) that "it is a typically Hohenzollern [Prussian royal family] idea that a people which continues to defend itself after its standing army has been destroyed is committing a crime." Seems Marx didn't disapprove of an armed citizenry resisting either an invader or a repressive government.
Yeah. We know. It was an exageration.
Thank you, Expvideo.

Marx is typically a poster child of the far left in all matters and I made the comment colloquially rather than analytically.
Exaggeration? Moreso misinformation... c'mon, around here we should know better than to engage in the left/right, Republican/Democrat drivel that engulfs the "political" conversations of the sh**ple.
 
Top