• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC or CC and you get into a accident

greengum

I got into a fender bender here in Vegas. When the police showed up the younger of the 2 officers stared at my gun. The people in the other car kinda freaked out and tried to "tell" on me to the police. The guy in the other car said, "officer that guy has a gun!" The cop responded "yeah, so do I." After all the paper work was done I did BS with the officers for a little bit and he said he had a lot of respect for the OC movement.

As far as if it were a really bad accident I think the EMT's would be worried about saving your life. I highly doubt someone would try to steal your gun because an accident usually garners a lot of attention from onlookers.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
About a year ago I turned a Honda element into an Isotope. I was heading out for a vacation and had my carry gun and three others, including a BUG in my left front pocket. The crash pretty much made my hands inoperable at the moment.

Actually had to explain to the Rescue Squad crew that there were handguns unsecured in the vehicle (as in being present with nobody to control them - they were in plastic cases) as well as on my body so could we please wait till the cop arrived to secure them. The local cop (Warrenton, Va.) did show up shortly and said he would inventory them into an evidence bag and hold them until the end of his shift but would have to turn them in when he got off shift. Got a receipt.

Thanks to a good friend who was willing to drive about 75 miles to come collect me from the ER where I had both hands wrapped up like Xmas presents, we were able to connect with Officer Friendly to retrieve my handguns. A bit of miscommunication on where we were going to meet up, but once we got straightened out it was no problem - he handed me two shopping bags sealed with evidence tape. One was my handguns - each individually bagged inside a smaller paper bag; the other was all the magazines (again each one individually bagged) and all the ammo he had emptied out of the magazines all together in another bag.

This may be the atypical anecdote, but it was how things should have gone. But remember, Virginia does not license or register your guns or put them on an official database - except machine guns and I don't have any. :>(

BTW, the cop asked me to explain to him how to unholster my carry gun and to describe the BUG so he would not put his fingers in a bad place as he removed them. Extra double helpings of kudos to him for doing that.

stay safe.

sudden valley gunner

I was in a very bad accident last year.
After ward climbed out of the sideways vehicle, OCing and trying to take care of the rest of the family.
When the Paramedics and Troopers finally made me lay on a gurny to take me to hospital (several severered tendons, and a bone sticking out of the back of my ankle, and several head wounds bleading profusely) The State trooper asked to take my firearm and told me I can get it at the local station when I am out of the hospital. He asked for my CPL which I was going to tell him it is somewhere in the vehicle and he interrupted and said "Nevermind you are Open Carrying".

simmonsjoe

If you are of altered mental status.

Yes your firearm will most likely be taken. This is if nobody else is there to secure your firearm. (family member, friend, etc) It is against most EMS company guidelines for EMTs to touch guns, but you may get the occasional EMT who will secure your weapon. (They are supposed to ask Police to remove it.) Most likely they can't leave it with your property at the hospital though.

If your jacked up but mentally OK, remember that you may need to unress at the ER. Even though most ERs ban firearms, they can't technically refuse you treatment,,, so. But remember, they are going to give you drugs that WILL alter your mental status.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes your firearm will most likely be taken. This is if nobody else is there to secure your firearm. (family member, friend, etc) It is against most EMS company guidelines for EMTs to touch guns, but you may get the occasional EMT who will secure your weapon. (They are supposed to ask Police to remove it.) Most likely they can't leave it with your property at the hospital though.

If your jacked up but mentally OK, remember that you may need to unress at the ER. Even though most ERs ban firearms, they can't technically refuse you treatment,,, so. But remember, they are going to give you drugs that WILL alter your mental status.

There have been several times when I was at the hospital for tests and ended up being admitted through the ER. I never had a problem with getting hospital security to come and get my handgun to lock up for me - even a couple of times when I had already been given various drugs which most certainly effected my mental status. Then there were other times when the doctors/nurses (reluctantly) held off administering drugs until after security departed with that strange-looking box.

Unless you are completely incapacitated there are ways to deal with getting the firearm safely and legally secured in a manner that does not increase the odds of some JBT trying to (officially or unofficially) confiscate it. Getting a receipt is part of that process - I'm told it does not matter that much who you get it from so long as you can document the transfer of possession - but I could be wrong on some fine points on this.

stay safe.