• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Racine

oak1971

imported post

I would rather this backwards state adopt a clear policy. Ha! like that would happen.:banghead: I would be up for a group open carry. Strength in numbers and all that.

AaronS

imported post

oak1971 wrote:
I would rather this backwards state adopt a clear policy. Ha! like that would happen.:banghead: I would be up for a group open carry. Strength in numbers and all that.
What area of town are you in?

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

McX I would definitely join you if it was on a day I was available. Which for me is pretty much just Friday afternoon through the weekend.

I think its a fantastic idea. I wouldn't be able to make it during the week, but a weeknight "bike night" or something could be cool. I don't know how big your parking lot is, but a monthly event would give people in the Racine area who might not have yet broken the ice on their OC experiences a chance to do so. In addition, I think the event would garner nice exposure and serve as a good educational instrument to people who might not know that OC is legal when they see it on a regular basis on a grand scale.

ROOK_WI

imported post

I'm game fora visit McX.

Thursday orFriday will work for me right now with the shortened work week. I can get the kids on the school bus & head down.

I don't need the coffee or kringle, I'll even bring my own chair.

Instead of a car show,have a holster show :).

If it turns into an afternoon/evening thing I'll bring the kids after homework.

AaronS

imported post

McX, I'll show from time to time (North Milwaukee).

Ya know, you will end up with some "free" adds on TV news if you start this. Might want to start thinking of what to say when the news shows up (I screw up a bit on camera). This is a great idea. I wish you were on my side of town.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd be up to stop by, evenings are better for me, but I'm sure I could find some time around my lunch hour.

AaronS

imported post

So, now that we all know the your shop is an OC friendly place. I think we should try to help the place out as much as we can. With that in mind, just what kind of work can your place do? Is it a full service shop? Prices in the real world?

Love the idea of a local shop doing an OC event every month. Should help bring down the crime in the area. I bet after three or so months, even the local cops will learn that this is only a good thing for the area. Let us know.

M

McX

imported post

I didn't intend for my postings to be a commercial for my shop. Who you choose to work on your machines is strictly your choice. We offer a variety of services, from oil changes, up. We also do alot of work other shops won't touch, or would charge rediculous prices for. Our prices seem to be a bargain, at least our customers say that. And we do alot of small details during service, that other shops skip because it's not profitable to them.
As for the area crime rate; since the bunch next door moved into the area, the "view" of their activities are/is driving people out of the area. Several of these individuals now reside in the commercial building, others congregate there. The Police can do little, until a crime is seen or reported, so they go by and "glare" at them, even the Police know what's going on there. Because of this bunch, the scum of the earth has been attracted to the area. Which wasn't the greatest to begin with. The merchants are losing buisness, and the customers are reporting what they see going on in the area, as the reason for their leaving. Our Open Carry, and now CC policy so far has protected us, and insulated us from our "surroundings". The low lifes know we OC and CC. Other merchants are following suit now- having had enough, and now genuinely fearing for their safety. Read in the paper this a.m.; Millions to lose their unemployment benefits by the end of the year. Wonder what that will do to the crime rate?

M

McX

imported post

We've been to the city officials, and they are working hard with us to remove the bunch in question. But the owner of the property is a "head nodder". His head goes up and down, but nothing changes. They have allowed, or tried to open up underground shops within their building- competing directly against us. The times I have spoken to the property owner have been fruitless, and I have referred him to my lawyer. His "employees" have damaged our property with their negligence, while the owner just stands there, and nods his head in response to our complaints. They then "flee to avoid prosecution". We sure as hell ain't going over there to talk any further with them. They ofcourse play the "I'm a minority, and your discriminating against me" card every chance they get. The Police were successful at routing the hookers out of the area, as they were attracted to "that bunch's" building, and the charming people who hang out there. But the "public view" they present isn't doing anything for any of the buisnesses near them. They have been observed, out in front of their building, sitting in lawn chairs, asleep in the sun, with piles of empty beer cans at their feet. Welcome to the neighborhood and our buisness district!

M

McX

imported post

Lastly; I discussed "things" with a local buinsess owner in close proximity to me: he reported a drop in his buisness of 30% since "that bunch" showed up. He expects to be forced to close by the end of the year, if the trend continues. I have personally seen a reduction in "walk ins", even from the decent locals. My "little old ladies" no longer come. We have had to adopt the policy of walking customers out to their cars in the parkinglot, to comfort them. All my customers know were an "Armed Facility", and seem to have no problem with it. The Police don't even seem to notice us, as we are never any trouble to them, and keep to ourselves. The only complaints I have received is from "the bunch". I guess criminals envolved in criminal activities are made nervous by the sight of a law abiding citizen armed for their protection.
My Son and I are working on, once we go back to our winter hours, and open up for half days on Saturdays again, having a once a month Open Carry (and CC) coffee on Saturday, once a month. It appears that Saturday would work best for those interested. Our lounge area can accomodate 6 people at least, and as I said before we'll get the coffee and Kringle, so that you might mingle- so to speak. We'll make a formal announcement here when all is planned out and ready. Thank you all for your interaction and support. Saw a humerous bumpersticker the other day: Fight Crime, Shoot Back.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There seems to be more negative posts about OC'g lately, so let try to get back to posting more of our non-incident carries.

I continue to carry around Racine whenever I go out... here are some places I've gone in the last week or so...

Taco Bell on Douglas Ave
no issues, ordered my food and ate in the restaurant, several (if not all) of the people in there saw me.

Home Depot on Hwy 31
returned some light fixtures, did some shopping... about 45 minutes total, no issues

Walmart on Hwy 11

grocery and birthday present shopping, had some associates help me out, no issues...

Best Buy on Hwy 11
spent about 30 minutes in the store looking at TV's and movies... no issues

Kmart on Douglas Ave & 4 Mile
bought some baby clothes and some laundry detergent... no issues...

Ace Hardware on Douglas Ave
got my propane refilled, picked up some hardware, and some rotor bits...

Radio Shack on Douglas & 4 mile
had and associate help me find some stuff, short and uneventful trip...

Cousins on Douglas Ave & 4 Mile
order some subs, at in the restaurant... peaceful lunch.

that is all I can think of in the last week or so... carried up in Rhinelander this weekend too at Walmart... =)

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

More OC'g within incident...

Pick 'n Save - (Douglas & 4 Mile Rd.)
Numerous trips without incident...

Regency Mall - (Hwy 11 & Hwy 31 )
(JCPenny's, Sear's, Buckle, Claire's, Gap, Hot Topic, FYE, and obviously the common areas)
I entered the mall at JCPenny's so we could exchange a coat, wife and I proceeded to shop in about 6 stores though-out the mall without incident. I did have a conversation with the sales clerk at the Buckle about open carry for himself and his father... I did walk right past the Mall Security Guard (he was on my strong side), I smiled, he smiled back.

Blockbuster - (Douglas & 4 Mile Rd.)

rented a couple movies, bought some others...

Carry on!!!!

M

McX

imported post

4 Stars. Mugenlude. Few more and you get the "veteran OC-er" free oil change at the shop. First ever local!

M

McX

imported post

Has Caledonia suddenly become enlightened? Or may be the public and store owners have seen the light????!!!!

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe it's just the way I carry myself or maybe they are enlightened, but I surely don't get all of the weird looks like I did when I started carrying about 6 months ago.

M

McX

imported post

Either way Mugnelude, your light years ahead of me. In Caledonia no less. I'll be damned. Hope to see you out poking. What goes here: Another CC day- all day baby. Cuss me, but it's cold. Something bad happened down the street. Police had to walk the street. The Sergeant waived. The young ones came by in pairs. Everybody knew our name. I opened up front and back, as it was a nice morning, and to show: Already been checked baby. Had an underground O.C.-er today: The plumber who goes OC in bad neighborhoods/jobs. It was nice out and so he sat outside and yakked on the phone while I did my bit. Nothing unusual there. Sat out in public view, cars whizzin by. An you know what? NOTHING HAPPENED. No Police were called, no crimes committed, no screeching of brakes- people- or children. I rest my case.

M

McX

imported post

Hey Mugenlude. Found out what happened down the street from us the other day: Apartment manager tried to stop a fight and got knifed, by a guy fresh out of prison. And they wonder why we went OC, and CC at our place. The Police caught the guy, but had he doubled back, and ditched onto my property, or into our shop building, he would have gotten the message: Your Windows Operating System has just executed a fatal error, and now will be forced to shut down. He would have found himself detained for questioning by civil authorities. :D