• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: I Love Guns & Coffee T-Shirts

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
A closer case occurred a few years ago when artist Kieron Dwyer sold T-shirts with a logo that replaced “Starbucks Coffee” with “Consumer Whore,” added dollar signs, and gave the mermaid a cell phone. That adaptation would seem to offer plenty of commentary about Starbucks. The Northern District of California, however, begged to differ and imposed a preliminary injunction against Mr. Dwyer. The case later settled.

Starbucks should be on solid ground to obtain similar relief against Kerusso.
For the record, abuse the of courts and the law doesn't create "solid ground".

But, yes, Starbucks could easily bully their way into their desired outcome. This is a point well made. It might take balls to stand up to a cease and desist by claiming fair use.

I'd also point out that the shirt you're describing sounds a lot less like fair use, since the object of criticism isn't Starbucks, but rather some abstract "Corporate whore" (Starbucks may be "corporate" but it seems unlikely to be the "whore" in question since it is not an individual). The Starbucks logo is merely used as convenient in insulting some entirely unrelated entity.

Fair use generally requires that the transformative function of the art relate somehow to the original function of the art. So, you can criticize the art or the artist, but copying their art in order to make a critical statement about "society at large" has been ruled to not be related enough to the original art, and thus not be fair use.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Perhaps we should think about all of these....

must_have_coffee_light_color_tee_tshirt-p235675722136884860tdan_210.jpg

starbucks1.gif

31194-1.jpg

and many many more.....all available for sale! That being said, they are all probably LEGAL to own, as protected by the 1A. But would run into lawyers when available for sale.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

I'm thinking of a couple people that should be forced to wear that "consumer whore" shirt as a warning beforehand to others......;)

Wouldn't pay more then $10 for it though.

I could have it made in asia for $4.

amzbrady

imported post

Poosharker wrote:
I'm thinking of a couple people that should be forced to wear that "consumer whore" shirt as a warning beforehand to others......;)

Wouldn't pay more then $10 for it though.

I could have it made in asia for $4.
Please dont tell usyou are selling Nike's too.

Flanders007

imported post

Just thought I would post a small update...

I still have shirts.

For those of you who have already purchased a couple shirts off of me, pictures would be nice! Let's see em on ya!

-Flanders

massivedesign

imported post

Flanders007 wrote:
Just thought I would post a small update...

The shirts are selling fine. I have more and would love to continue to sell more. So far so good. I have not heard from starbucks and don't expect to anytime soon.

Please send me a PM if you would like one. I still have all sizes from Small to XXXL.

For those of you who have already purchased a couple shirts off of me, pictures would be nice! Let's see em on ya!

-Flanders
Not on me... But still in the pic..

amzbrady

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
Don’t forget my favorite brand of Coffee. It tastes a little smarmy with a hint of sarcasm.:p
Oh, no you din ent. Thanks, Son of .... I just put fingerprints on my screen trying to smush your avatar thingy. I love it, I want one.

Flanders007

imported post

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2010/04/post_4.php

Excerpt
"​Local entrepreneur David Anderson engages in a little impromptu capitalism by hawking "Coffee and Guns" t-shirts. As an Open Carry enthusiast, Anderson is supporting the coffee giant Starbucks and its decision to abide by state laws allowing gun owners carry firearms into store locations. Seattle Weekly first wrote about the story in February."

My goal of keeping this quiet and hawking the shirts on the down low apparently doesn't work when I go to a Tea Party Rally with a bag of shirts, open carrying and then giving my information to Don for the article. :celebrate

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Excellent article...

David, Deros, Spydertattoo and gogodawgs missed seeing you down there last night! We did however meet End The Fed and Spyder popped a CCers cherry!

Flanders007

imported post

Yea, as you can see by the picture, I was just on the corner there. I wanted to stay near the edges so I could be seen easier. I didn't walk around at all and once my shirts were gone I left.

Did you guys get anyone talking to you? I had one of the plain clothes officer approach me just as I was posting up...

Him: Are you LEO?
Me: No
Him: So you know about open carry?
Me: (thinking... if I didn't know, would it matter?) Yes, I am aware of the various modes of carry, both concealed and open.
Him: So you have a concealed permit?
Me: Yes, I do, I just do not have it with me.
Him: Ok, well thank you, I just wanted to check.

He never asked for ID or anything. I just think he wanted to know if I was on the up and up, and considering I knew about open carry and told him that I did have my CPL, he knew I was not going to be a security threat.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

SVG, the O.P. did tell the officer that he had one, but just not with him. It seems the officer took him having a cpl, made a difference of some sort.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Depending on the way you keep yourself, and your attitude tone, some do. Remember, they are human too.

Couple days ago, state trooper clocked a bike going 152, guy got a ticket for $400+ and a lecture and was let go. I am assuming he wasn't screaming screw da pigs, blah blah blah.