• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Packing in Public...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

James wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I got my HCP early in October and have been OC ever since. I live in a very rural area of Western Tn and folks around here just don't seem to notice. That's fine, but I feel like I'm missing out on the oppertunity to edumacate some one. :(

I even OC'd at my bank this week. Well.... sort of. It was cold and I had a waist length jacket on and it probably half way covered the 9mm Mak I had holstered in an Uncle Mikes ambitecterous belt holster. I had asked the previous week if they had a no firearms policy and the teller said that she didn't think they did. The only concern she could see might be with other customers.

I've been to the Walmart in Holenwald a couple times since the weather has cooled. Again my firearm wasn't fully concealed and I'm sure that everytime I reached up to a shelf or bent over my holstered handgun was fully revealed. No one has seemed to notice or displayed any alarm.

The funniest thing to happen was the other day. An old man came out to pick up an old wood stove we had behind the shop. We were standing next to our tractor with a front end loader while I was trying to get it started. We had been talking when his voice sort of went up and he said, "You carryin' a gun out here in the woods?" I said "Yeah, I carry one everywhere I go, even to town?" Told him I had my HCP and he didn't say any more about it.
Just wondering, if you 'open carry' and your coat conceals the weapon, wouldnt that be 'concealed carry'?
Yes, partly, not fully. My jackets are waist length and don't conceal the enitre holster, especially my SA .45 revolver w/5.5" barrel. At best only the top of the weapon is hidden as long as I don't raise my arm or the jacket slides down behind the handle of the gun. Since I can carry either way in Tn I don't worry about whither my side arm is showing or not. I have been in the Walmart in Dickson without a jacket and my sidearm was fully exposed; it didn't seem to be noticed by anyone.

massltca

imported post

We have coats like the police wear that allows the gun to be worn in full view. It has a zipper on the side that lets you tuck the coat behind the holster and a strap that tucks behind the holster.

massltca

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
massltca wrote:
Yes I was. I don't usually go into a store unless I'm on my way home from work. But now that I've done that it'll be easier to open carry in street clothes. It's taking awhile for me to get used to the idea. Also there is some resistance from my wife, she doesn't want to get kicked out of Wal Mart or something. Which I can totally understand. I'll get there, I'm taking baby steps right now.

You may get more looks without the uniform, maybe not. I can relate to the uneasiness of OC at first. I've just been carrying since Oct, I had never carried a side arm in public before in my life. I started out OC right off the bat and it was a really weird feeling at first. I still have an uneasy felling about it when I go somewhere I've never been before, but I just waltz in as if I didn't have a gun on. So far, I've not had any problems or noticed any scared looks. And I'm getting less and less concerned about it all the time.

I'm looking forward to my first oppertunity to educate someone. I may have to find out where the liberals allhide out. :lol:
I've always concealed so open carry is like starting all over again. I was a little nervous the first couple of times I concealed too. I just try to act like the gun isn't there. I'm sure there are plenty of liberals here in Maryville what with the college here and all. I haven't encountered any yet though.