• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Petition to repeal carrying in alcohol establishments

murf26

imported post

I'm in....but this should have never had to happen. We should be able to carry anywhere!!!

If the political realm thinks that making these rules keeps the bad guys at bay, they need to think again. That's why they are called bad guys!!! And to turn the sheepdogs into bad guysbecause they are trying to protect is not right.

IT'S ALL BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TFED12

imported post

Johnston-Wake COPTF wrote:
Currently, the law regarding concealed carryallows carry into a restaurant, even if they serve alcohol. Section 14-269.3(b)(1) (Click Here To Read)allows the concealed carry by a person who is exempted by Section 14-269. Section 14-269(a1)(1) (Click Here To Read) states that a person who has a concealed weapons permit is exempt. SO as the law is currently written, you CAN conceal carry into a restaurant, but you may NOT consume alcohol.

I respectfully have to disagree with your statement. The exemptions you cited do not state that a person with a concealed weapons permit is exempt from conceal carry in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption.

It specifically lists :14-269

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

I do not see where it states anything about Exemptions for Concealed Weapons Permit Holders with regard toestablishments serving alcohol for consumption. I think you are linking the two sections together. But they are seperate for a reason.

[align=left]§ 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic[/align]

[align=left]beverages are sold and consumed.[/align]

[align=left](a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any[/align]

[align=left]assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment[/align]

[align=left]in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the[/align]

[align=left]provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.[/align]

[align=left](b) This section shall not apply to the following:[/align]

[align=left](1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14-269;[/align]

[align=left](2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;[/align]

[align=left](3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol[/align]

[align=left]with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization[/align]

[align=left]sponsoring the event; and[/align]

[align=left](4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or[/align]

[align=left]person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981,[/align]
c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s.

As was the case for Dreqo----You are the only person that I have heard with that opinion.

Can you clarify?

TFED12

imported post

I have been reading and re-reading this entire thread. And still confused. Although I am a LEO and exemptI still like to know the laws. If 14-269 states concealed permit holders are exempt, then why does 14-269.3 exist in the first place? To keep OCers out? And if the exemption is true, why propose a senate bill to eliminate or change 14-269.3 if it does not apply. There just seems to be some contradiction here. I really need some clarification. I think now I have completely lost my mind. If someone happens to find it, please return it to me, with a little more intelligence than it had when I lost it.:?

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

TFED you have not lost your mind. You are correct that the law does not currently permit carry in an establishment that serves alcohol (ie a restaurant) and the law is contradictory in regards to concealed carry.

My references in this thread are to the amendment proposals found on my agency website. If you would like to read the propose changes, please visit DreQo, my argument is that most laws permit carry if a person is exempt under 14-269. Read 14-269(a1). It contradicts every law exempting those persons covered in 14-269. The reason I read the laws together, is because the NCGS isa group of laws, written together. They work off each other.

The new amendments would leave minimal interpretation. The effort is to allow more concealed carry, allow outright open carry and remove any interpretation by a police officer.

partemisio

imported post

I am working on getting a few of the multi-signature ones filled out, I think I should be able to get five or so completely filled out. I also posted the link on a car forum that I am a member of which has over 80,000 members.

topgearrally

imported post

I will be sending out what i've collected so far thisSaturday. Also a friend sent me an email abouta new gun law that they aretrying to pass under the radar. If you have not heard about it, please do a google search because this is insane. Sorry about getting off the subject for the petition.

The bill is HR 45

I have read this act. These people plan to deliver a false sense of security with this act. They think that making a gun purchase for the everyday American that much harder will keep us safe from people who get their guns from the black market.

The people who wrote HR 45 are going to take away inalienable rights. They will do this in the name of stopping criminals and the criminally insane, but it will apply to us all.

The American People will be told, "You have nothing to worry about if you are innocent, now let us in to inspect your firearms." when it is the American People that should tell them, "You aren't allowed to do this to me. You don't have the power."

This act also takes more power from the states and gives it to the federal government. This alters the checks and balances of our way of life.

This act is un-American. It sacrifices human rights for the safety of the state. America is not a fascist state.

John Pruitt,

Gainesville,

Johnston-Wake COPTF

imported post

Hope everyone is having a better weekend than me. I spent the majority of my Saturday AM in the hospital with a sever sinus infection. Vicodin, Vicodin and more Vicodin later and I can still barely talk or open my eye.

That said, I will be taking a back seat from work for a few days. Please keep the signatures coming. I am impressed by the number of people supporting this effort. Once I am back on the path to recovery,I will begin working on this again!

ocgso

imported post

I agree with murf26. They think that passing laws and posting signs will stop a BG from bringing a firearm in with him? They are basically putting one arm behind the backs of law abiding gun owners who want to defend their families.

You hear about shootings and robberies all the time, they happen more in public places (gas stations, restaurants, movie theaters) than they do in homes.

That is the one advantage of CCH permit in NC, nobody knows you have it unless you have to use it.

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 any day.