• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Dispatch has interest in Open Carry here in St Louis

sohighlyunlikely

Shane Anthony of the Post Dispatch Spoke to me about doing a discussion piece about my outreach into starting the Open Carry Movement here in St Louis.

I spoke with him and he wants to write just an information discussion piece about what I did in starting the Starbucks tour. Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to. That is the part that will probably go ugly. But you can't always preach to the choir.

Doc

Superlite27

Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to.

Would these "experts" he desires to consult be folks behind a desk who've never considered looking at the statutes until something was mentioned about doing so and have personally never had anything to do with open carry like we have?

I guess the word "expert" is easily translated into "folks who have recently read about it and have a similar outlook " rather than "folks who have done it for years".

Last edited:

cshoff

Shane Anthony of the Post Dispatch Spoke to me about doing a discussion piece about my outreach into starting the Open Carry Movement here in St Louis.

I spoke with him and he wants to write just an information discussion piece about what I did in starting the Starbucks tour. Which I am sure will be fine but then he said he was going to speak to experts about it and add their bits to. That is the part that will probably go ugly. But you can't always preach to the choir.

Doc

Who, pray tell, is an open carry "expert"? Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"? I would ask him for a chance to rebut any comments he gets from other sources before he publishes his piece.

cash50

I can see the Post leaning this a certain way.

And yea the "expert" thing is gonna be funny. I'm guessing he'll contact some LEO who will tell him how dangerous open carry is.

Hopefully he has times to ask the City/County Police why they keep having ND's, if they are indeed the experts.

mspgunner

Doc

I'ma bit surprised you'd talk to them. I've suggested press coverage by TV media, might get a better fair shake???
The Post-Discrace will get the same anti2A folks they always use - STL Police freek oops Chief, and perhaps a 2A "expert" who is anti -OC, I know some of them from another discussion site, and they are well known to the media.
Rol the dice if you like, but the anti2As may just put a cruch on things.

I know you wil lpresent the pro-OC side well, it's just the bad boys who wil "ATTACK" with a vengence.
Invite the reporter to a 2A OC dinner, might show him we arn't lunnies!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Personally I hold that even a hit piece is better than no media coverage. There are people out there that are getting tired of the spoon feed tripe they've been getting from the Brady Bunch and their ilk - they see through it and it starts them thinking.

I don't know that the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) has ever backed away from a media opportunity. We seem to gain ground, not lose ground, each time.

Tony4310

Experts on open carry? I thought we the law abiding citizens were the experts on 2A seeing as we exercise the right!

mspgunner

I respectfully disagree Tony, there are folks who really have a greater knowledge of 2 A rights. We are more end users. Not to dgrade us or what we do, but that is the way it is.
We have bodies but we're not the "experts" on them any more than we drive vehicles and we are not the "experts" on those.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
I like it and hate it at the same time. I agree with Grapeshot, however the post is VERY likely to paint this in a very very bad light, they did and pretty much still do the same thing with CCW.

Even if Shane tried to do a fair piece, I would bet a big dollar amount the editors turn it in to a huge turd, just like fox2 did with Darrow.

Tony4310

I'm with LMTD on this. They'll spin it some how into a bunch of rednecks with guns that know nothing about safety.

kylemoul

on a more serious note, i think it may be a good thing for exposure. i would remind him how many Oc know local ordinances better than the LEO of that city.

and to watch the anti oc people yap there jaw off about stuff that will most likely make no sense.

doc would be a great spokesperson for this piece

lancers

I'd say go for it. Yeah, the post isn't exactly pro-gun, but when I dealt with them back in 2007 they were more interested in getting the whole, real story, not just sound bites to play on the news. I actually sat down with one of their reporters for several hours to discuses the entire incident and it was very well represented. The local news stations and national news stations didn't want all of that fluff, just the down and dirty parts that create controversy.

Of course they are going to get the side of the police/anti gun crowd. Without it, it's just an editorial. I would just make sure you can get a chance to respond to the "experts." I'd even suggest them getting the anti's view first.

The downside? Some municipalities may see it and realize I was not the only one to open carry in the St. Louis area and they better do something about it fast.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even if Doc did back out on doing the piece in fear that they would protray it in a bad light? Would you think they would still do the piece, just without the OC person side of the story?

Of course ......or they'll get someone else to step up to the plate.

Generally the way the media approach such is to say "we are doing a story - would you be willing to give your perspective?" Not participating/playing the game will never put points on the board.

Richieg150

Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"?

If you look at the word expert,you will see that it is actually two words put together. If we look closely at the words as individual, we can see the true meaning of the combined words. The word ex, means " A has been", and the word pert means," A drip". So........as used in the first sentence, the experts are ," has beens",living in the past talking about former conquests and glories, and "drips, that are all wet, and probably cant hold water.Sometimes the testimony off so called experts, is just that, has beens,that are all wet. IMHO....that is....:)

mspgunner

Is he planning on talking to police officers or politicians as "experts"?

If you look at the word expert,you will see that it is actually two words put together. If we look closely at the words as individual, we can see the true meaning of the combined words. The word ex, means " A has been", and the word pert means," A drip". So........as used in the first sentence, the experts are ," has beens",living in the past talking about former conquests and glories, and "drips, that are all wet, and probably cant hold water.Sometimes the testimony off so called experts, is just that, has beens,that are all wet. IMHO....that is....:)

That's good! Can I steal that?

I have some places I can use it!

Last edited:

sohighlyunlikely

Post-Dispatch interview done.

Initial interview has been done. He wants to gets some counter points and do some more legal research to find out how OC became so fractured and complicated here in MO. Before he writes the whole story.

Doc