• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

JHART

I have not posted in quite some time. I have been cc'ing due to what I would call negative encounters. One in particular that really made me shy away from open carry.

I was in QT paying for a cup of coffee and the attendant that was handling my transaction noticed my firearm. He proceeded to raise his arms over his head and yelled out "He has a gun!" I immediately crouched down and spun around to make sure anyone was not going to take some kind of action towards me. Luckily nothing came of it, but I think it could of been different. This incident really put me on edge to the point of cc'ing.

I have also had people literally jump out of my path when they noticed the firearm, or do a little side step. I have listened to rude comments made behind my back while walking along or standing in line. I have been stopped dead in my tracks(always by a female) and asked are you scared? Really? Is that necessary? Are you even trained? Why would you bring that in here?

I was in a park with my daughter and was standing back watching her play and I noticed a lady watching me and giving me the evil eye. She eventually gathered her children and said(so I could hear it,) "lets go it's not safe here with that man here." I have also noticed a few people starring at me while in various retail establishments, and I mean starring with a very determined look.

Don't get me wrong, I also had many days of absolutely being uneventful, but I suppose for me personally, the encounters I did have was enough to discourage me. It's too bad more don't open carry, so the public would get more accustomed to it

jc79

I have not posted in quite some time. I have been cc'ing due to what I would call negative encounters. One in particular that really made me shy away from open carry.

I was in QT paying for a cup of coffee and the attendant that was handling my transaction noticed my firearm. He proceeded to raise his arms over his head and yelled out "He has a gun!" I immediately crouched down and spun around to make sure anyone was not going to take some kind of action towards me. Luckily nothing came of it, but I think it could of been different. This incident really put me on edge to the point of cc'ing.

JHART, don't let these people discourage you. No matter who you are in life, there are always folks that will disagree with you no matter what you do. Honestly, I wouldn't give much thought to the opinion of a random stranger that I will never see again. Open carry is legal in Oklahoma and if folks don't like it, that is their problem.

As for me, I have received nothing but positive feedback form the folks in my town.

JC

TulsaDan

JHART
Let me start by saying that I personally hate it when people cannot keep their opinions to themselves. I really don't have to tell you why I am carrying a gun, it's pretty self explanatory. I usually take the time to let others know why I am carrying though. I attempt to use their snide remarks to educate them. Such as when the lady states that the park isn't safe with me there, I usually say something to the effect of, "well actually, this is the safest park in town since I am here with my gun." And so on. But to stop doing what I do simply because of those remarks? I am not here to judge you. I want to lift up your spirits and be a brother in arms. I simply want to say that if you let them, they will. If you let them make you think you are wrong for openly carrying your weapon, they will make sure you know that's what they believe. Don't let the scorn or stupidity of others dictate how you live your life. Don't let them make you believe that if enough people say it, it must be true. That's how sheep think. Think for yourself, and by the way, that QT employee would have been fired for endangerment once I got to his manager. That's absolutely ridiculous, I would have approached his manager and laid out his blatant act of endangering people in his establishment, what if someone else was carrying and thought you were indeed robbing the place? That could have been detrimental to all involved, I definitely would have taken the time to educate that rascal. Keep your chin up and your guns proudly displayed brother. I got your 6.

mynameiscolb

JHART
Let me start by saying that I personally hate it when people cannot keep their opinions to themselves. I really don't have to tell you why I am carrying a gun, it's pretty self explanatory. I usually take the time to let others know why I am carrying though. I attempt to use their snide remarks to educate them. Such as when the lady states that the park isn't safe with me there, I usually say something to the effect of, "well actually, this is the safest park in town since I am here with my gun." And so on. But to stop doing what I do simply because of those remarks? I am not here to judge you. I want to lift up your spirits and be a brother in arms. I simply want to say that if you let them, they will. If you let them make you think you are wrong for openly carrying your weapon, they will make sure you know that's what they believe. Don't let the scorn or stupidity of others dictate how you live your life. Don't let them make you believe that if enough people say it, it must be true. That's how sheep think. Think for yourself, and by the way, that QT employee would have been fired for endangerment once I got to his manager. That's absolutely ridiculous, I would have approached his manager and laid out his blatant act of endangering people in his establishment, what if someone else was carrying and thought you were indeed robbing the place? That could have been detrimental to all involved, I definitely would have taken the time to educate that rascal. Keep your chin up and your guns proudly displayed brother. I got your 6.
Well said. And +1 here. We got your back!

JHART

JHART

Thank You Tulsa Dan for the encouragement. I think your point is exactly what I needed to see. Very well said and very well taken. As for the QT incident, I reported it to corporate. I gave them his name and in detail explained what happened, They assured me that the employee would be reprimanded. I haven't seen that employee in that store since the incident.

okiephlyer

JHART,
It seems you have attracted all the bad encounters. I have had one negative, a few neutrals and a huge amount of positives. The positives have come from Law Enforcement, church patrons, clerks, shoppers, workers, and just about any walk of life you can imagine. Other than a particular website here in Oklahoma, just about everyone that I have come across views OC as a positive.
I would also encourage you to keep strong and continue to carry as you damn well please, OC or CC.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also to JHART -

Don't let the B-tards beat/wear you down - that is their goal. Give in to the intimidation and they win.

Arm yourself with knowledge and confidence that you are not only legal, but doing the right thing = accepting personal responsibility.

Perhaps you would benefit from walking with or meeting with an OC friend/acquaintance who has had few to no bad experiences. The goal being to determine if you are doing anything differently - i.e. communicating lack of confidence which sends a mixed or negative message to others. Please know that is not intended to be criticism of you.

mynameiscolb

There is a newish gas station / convenience store close to my place of employement. It also happens to be located next door to an OKCPD station (SW 15th & Portland). I've recently made this location my new daily stop after work. The staff is friendly, they have a grill and there's always a friendly officer or two inside.

Aside from a few officers, I've yet to catch a single person even glancing down at my firearm. I've had cops smile, hold the door for me, and even strike up a conversation about weather...but never a mention of my OC.

With all of the well armed traffic this location sees on a daily basis, one might assume this could be one of the safest stores in town.

Last edited:

djdavis75

Just FYI, the Shop-N-Hop in Coalgate, OK has a sign posted that open carry is prohibited. I wont be going there again.

okiephlyer

Saw a OC'er at Reasors in Broken Arrow. Appendix carry, couldn't get a good enough look to tell exactly what it was. His friend had a shoulder bag (DDC brand). I was OC with my Glock 23 at the time. People were too interested in the Hatch chili roasting that they paid no attention to the men with guns.

audiophile

Really? Anyone have a picture?
15th and Key in MWC.
3d8b2a1546847d08748804128b887cd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
15th and Key in MWC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I'll take you word for it that is a 7-11 store. The interior layout from what I can see doesn't resemble any 7-11 I've ever visited........and none of them had gun buster signs.

Never seen company directed signage soooo low on a door either.

mynameiscolb

I'll take you word for it that is a 7-11 store. The interior layout from what I can see doesn't resemble any 7-11 I've ever visited........and none of them had gun buster signs.

Never seen company directed signage soooo low on a door either.
Definitely 7-11. Signature brick and "clerk cannot open safe" signage. Most of the newer 7-11 stores in this area are not posted.

I drive by that location at least once a week. Never even noticed the sign. Very odd location for placement.

As for OC experiences recently:

I open carried to Tinseltown Theater, while seeing the NWA movie. There were probably 5 cop cars (4 OKC, 1 OCS) parked outside. Several officers inside (1 riding around on a segway). One officer spotted my carry piece as I walked in, smiled and told me to enjoy the movie. That being said, this was my first and last trip to Tinseltown. Poor quality theater. It was cheap though.

I still OC every day. Still no issues. Just the occasional nod or smile from an OKCPD officer, or someone asking what type of firearm I carry.

okiephlyer

Had a nice talk with a young lady today while at Gypsy Ice at 51st and 193rd. She asked where I got my holster, G23 in Blackhawk Serpa. Couldn't help her, as I picked it up from Quantico Tactical on one of my many trips to VA. Anyway, she was trying to find a smaller carry weapon and holster. We talked about the local shops that I have visited. During the course of the conversation, she mentioned the old thing about OC being a target, etc. I asked her where she heard it and of course it came from her instructor where she took her carry class. We discussed the criminal mindset and factual history, which made her much more inclined to OC. She is a small lady and really wants to protect her family. Anyway, she was very receptive to the idea of OC once she heard the OC side of the discussion.

woodyrr

Two Times in Two Years

Just curious. Was anyone who posts on here open carrying a Glock in a Blackhawk Serpa at the Midwest City Home Depot today (Friday) just before noon?

Whomever it was has the distinction of being the second individual I have seen openly carrying a firearm in the two years the law has been in effect in Oklahoma. :)

qednick

Just curious. Was anyone who posts on here open carrying a Glock in a Blackhawk Serpa at the Midwest City Home Depot today (Friday) just before noon?

Whomever it was has the distinction of being the second individual I have seen openly carrying a firearm in the two years the law has been in effect in Oklahoma. :)

Two people in two years?? Wow I hope we get more in Texas after the new year. Are you based in a city or rural area?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

You all don't have meet n' greets? They are an excellent way to get together with people of a similar mind set and share notes etc.

Eeyore

I have been stopped dead in my tracks (always by a female) and asked are you scared? Really? Is that necessary? Are you even trained? Why would you bring that in here?

Are you scared? Not as long as I've got my little friend here. How about you?
Really? Is that necessary? Gosh, I hope not. If I thought I'd need it, I'd have gone somewhere else; left my kid(s)/wife at home; brought a bigger one. [take your pick]
Are you even trained? What makes you think I'm not?
Why would you bring that in here? Because I bring it almost everywhere I go.