• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock Island 1911 opinions?

SaintJacque

imported post

For what it's worth, I've shot the Rock Island 1911 a few times at the range. I can't recommend it compared to other models of 1911s. I experienced a lot of jamming.

I could be that the weapon was poorly maintained, but it could also be that this is how the weapon performs after a few hundred rounds. I would recommend the Kimber instead.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SaintJacque wrote:
For what it's worth, I've shot the Rock Island 1911 a few times at the range. I can't recommend it compared to other models of 1911s. I experienced a lot of jamming.

I could be that the weapon was poorly maintained, but it could also be that this is how the weapon performs after a few hundred rounds. I would recommend the Kimber instead.
After a few hundred rounds? A Rock (at least the Tactical model) performs best after 100 or 200 rounds. Of my guns, the RIA which still has stock internals, the GI model, has had way more than a few hundred rounds through it, and it doesn't jam at all.

I'm not going to begin to speculate what was wrong with the gun you fired, but if the problem was anything beyond the gun being extremely dirty, its owner should have sent it into the RIA shop for warranty service, for which the company has one of the best reputations in the industry.

Kimbers are renown for a slew of problems (crappy external extractors or internal extractors with no tension, leading to poor reliability beyond the abilities of most first-time owners to diagnose) and manufacturing quality which no longer justifies the price point (plastic mainspring housings? wtf?).

Honestly, I wouldn't own a Kimber over my Rocks even if you gave one to me. I'd sell it.

I mean, to each their own and all that, but my next pistol is going to be another RIA Tactical. I want one of the nickel Tactical models with black controls etc, essentially the inverse of the one I posted above.

Gunslinger

imported post

Erus wrote:
Just to reiterate, (and not to bash anyone with a differing opinion) my RIA 1911 is just what it should be. A more than accurate, reliable, and nice looking 1911. It goes bang every time I tell it to, with whatever I feed it, has the same fit and finish (in it's "generic" form) as all the other "good brands" of what many regard to be the finest combat handgun ever designed. I don't have a lot of experience with super spendy 1911's.. but then I personally don't have any need for any.

My pistol is for self defense, not trophy hunting at either the tack driver or bells and whistles competition. For my money, the RIA 1911 is just the right tool for the job I need it to do... of course anyone's mileage may vary.. but it can't be beat for the "low end" use I bought it for. :)
If you're satisfied with it, that's all that matters.

Gunslinger

imported post

marshaul wrote:
The parts are manufactured in the same facility, but the pistols are finished and assembled in different places. RIA has their own shop, and their final product is generally considered to be of a decidedly better quality than Charles Daly 1911s.

The 1911 pattern gets points not just because some folks want 1911s, but because ANY well-made 1911 is one of the best combat handguns ever devised.

I can't agree that there are better options for the price point. Unless you specifically DON'T want a 1911 for some reason.

As for Taurus, the PT1911 has a forged frame (instead of cast), but it also has a fugly painted billboard on the side, and I remain unconvinced that it is worth the extra cash considering the quality of modern castings.

Also, while both guns are well-received as an excellent bargain, my impression from browsing many a forum is to a slightly higher level of satisfaction with the RIAs.

Finally, there is nothing wrong with stuff manufactured in the Philippines. I would suggest that the Daly you handled isn't going to reveal much about the quality of a newer RIA Tactical. They just keep getting better and better, and they've been considered equal to or better than Dalys since they first hit the market.

Don't get me wrong, I know exactly what you're getting at. I just don't think it's accurate to characterize an RIA as "inaccurate" simply because it has a "low-end" price point.

It won't be as accurate as a fine custom 1911, but then neither will a Springfield GI. The question is, is the RIA as accurate as the Springfield GI, for significantly less money? And the answer is yes.

No matter what you have, there is always something "better". The question should be, is what I have sufficient to the task for which it is intended?

And the answer is that, for both defensive and target shooting, a RIA 1911 is going to just as sufficient to both of those ends as any other similarly-priced pistol, and many which cost a good deal more.

I really don't know what I would do with more accuracy, or why I would need it.
I'm not saying a RIA or any other low priced 1911 is "inaccurate." I'm saying the more you pay in a 1911 the more accuracy you buy--and expect. I'd never knock a well made, more than adequate for the price, weapon. That's why I bought a $750 Doublestar M-4 rather than a $2000 SIG. And a $400 Bersa Firestorm rather than an $800 Walther for a 9mm compact carry pistol. In 1911s, I prefer a mid level/price pistol. That's why I bought SIG GSRs. For me, they meet my needs better than any SA except the much higher priced TRP, or the lower cost RIA/Daley/Smiths. You pay for the name to a degree, of course, and that is a benefit to the lower priced 1911s. Ultimately, it's what pleases you/meets your needs. If your RIA does that, great. And we agree that it is one of the best combat guns ever made. The only other pistol I put in its class in that respect is the FN made Hi-Power.

Morh

Hubert (One-Slow County), North Carolina, USA
imported post

[align=left]My roommate has a Rock Island 1911A1 that he bought to replace a stolen Springfield 1911A1, he had a few problems with the Springfield, mostly jamming, he was hesitant at first with the RI but it has performed FLAWLESSLY over the past 2 years. He likes it better then his original Springfield, and he has convinced me to buy one.[/align]

[align=left][/align]