• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Luis Obispo co Sheriff race.

Army

imported post

I got some good one-on-one time with Sheriff candidate Jerry Lenthal. I asked what his policy will be if elected; will he authorize Shall Issue, or keep the current rights violating May Issue of past Sheriff's.

He told me, the only policy he will retain, will be the range test to show competency, but the test will be at any range location easiest for you. "If you have an honest reason to carry, I'll sign the permit". He's pro-2ndA and a Constitutionalist.

So I then asked his thoughts and future policy on UOC. I told him I carry UOC often (and the owner of the store we were at, confirmed me being armed there many times) and do not want the added hassle from his Dept. His response showed that he was NOT up to snuff on not just UOC, but firearm carry and transport in general. He insisted that you cannot carry ammunition within easy reach in a vehicle. I asked him to cite the PC on that, then kindly informed him there wasn't one. He was wrong about firearms in vehicles, also trying to quote PC about locked cases at all times, with ammo locked in separate containers.

That's when I pulled out the OpenCarry pamphlet, and handed it to him, encouraging him to read it thoroughly and objectively.

He's been a good Cop in SLO since the early 70's, and I feel will be a good Sheriff.....and he's pro-gun :)

coolusername2007

imported post

It's up to you, but you might want to email him the various DA and Sheriff letters that can be found on californiaopencarry. As long as he's respectful of our rights, he can be taught the PC's. Still, with all the attention of the UOC movement in the PRK its a little surprising he doesn't know anything about it.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Army wrote:
I got some good one-on-one time with Sheriff candidate Jerry Lenthal. I asked what his policy will be if elected; will he authorize Shall Issue, or keep the current rights violating May Issue of past Sheriff's.

He told me, the only policy he will retain, will be the range test to show competency, but the test will be at any range location easiest for you. "If you have an honest reason to carry, I'll sign the permit". He's pro-2ndA and a Constitutionalist.

So I then asked his thoughts and future policy on UOC. I told him I carry UOC often (and the owner of the store we were at, confirmed me being armed there many times) and do not want the added hassle from his Dept. His response showed that he was NOT up to snuff on not just UOC, but firearm carry and transport in general. He insisted that you cannot carry ammunition within easy reach in a vehicle. I asked him to cite the PC on that, then kindly informed him there wasn't one. He was wrong about firearms in vehicles, also trying to quote PC about locked cases at all times, with ammo locked in separate containers.

That's when I pulled out the OpenCarry pamphlet, and handed it to him, encouraging him to read it thoroughly and objectively.

He's been a good Cop in SLO since the early 70's, and I feel will be a good Sheriff.....and he's pro-gun :)
I haven't had any problems with cops....at least NOT YET. The thing that sticks in my craw is PC 626.9. It makes it very difficult if not pactically impossible to OCin my area.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
It's up to you, but you might want to email him the various DA and Sheriff letters that can be found on californiaopencarry. As long as he's respectful of our rights, he can be taught the PC's. Still, with all the attention of the UOC movement in the PRK its a little surprising he doesn't know anything about it.
+1

It bothers me more that he's so in the dark on the issue than the fact that he's regurgitating the FUD most of us have been misled to believe. My biggest concern is whether or not he's willing to learn and whether he's going to institute policies that reflect his Constitutionalists beliefs.