• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun or Rifle

MainelyGlock

If I had the money to buy an overpriced AR-15, I'd just as soon buy one of the more expensive weapons on my list.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I saw the ACR on your list, have you ever used one? They're pretty sweet, but something about a polymer rifle felt weird to me when I was shooting it. I'm sure people said the same thing about Glocks when they were first introduced though.

09jisaac

Like what was said, if you could find a quality AR for regular price (under or around MSRP) then get that.

I would suggest a S&W M&P15. Walmart does not carry these though (I don't think). The Smith is a "budget" rifle with many of the features of more expensive rifles. It is only lacking a chrome lined barrel and a M-16 bolt carrier.

Do your research on ARs before you purchase one, I did not but I lucked out (mostly). They are not all the same. DPMS, in my opinion is not a good rifle. Also, there is articles out about how Walmart products are subgrade to fit their lowered prices. I do not know if this carries over to the firearms, but it might.

Another option would be to buy a lower. This is the "firearm" so other parts should be easily purchased later on.

Since Walmart wouldn't stand behind firearms if they thought they couldn't make (enough) money off of it, I would also suggest you doing business with a LGS. I know this is not always possible, Walmarts are in almost every town and usually better priced.

If you are going for a shotgun I would suggest a Rem 870 (my preference) or a Moss 500 or 590. These have proven to be tough shotguns. There is also many aftermarket parts to customize the shotgun to your desired setup. If I am not mistaken, some 500s come with two different barrels, a "home defense" short barrel and a longer "hunting" barrel.