• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tacoma officer fatally shoots driver near Purdy

sudden valley gunner

If someone is using a "tool" in case and manner as a gun, and displaying in a manner as to make the police to believe it is a gun, then the police really have no choice BUT to believe that it IS a gun and have to appropriate action. Combine this with the fact that the perp did not comply with verbal commands either, only makes the situation worse.

If so why wasn't it they shot him the second he pointed it at the officer? I could tell it wasn't a gun from the fuzzy grainy video the moment he got out of the car. And if the officers who before he pointed it standing literally a few feet from the object couldn't tell.....hmmmmmm.

Now that being said I on a jury wouldn't convict and could see how the officers would have mistaken this in this highly charged situation, yet why is it non cops don't seem to catch the same break. I mean that one officer appears to shoot him in the back, when he was fleeing. "The threat was over" as is so often quoted about non police who may in the heat of the moment shoot someone fleeing.

hermannr

I saw a vidio once on "dummest" I think, of a woman (DWI) that, after a high speed chase, crashed her SUV and came out pointing her cell phone at the cops, acting like it was a gun. Fortunately for her, after one officer yelled gun, another said, "No, Cell phone". No-one opened fire, I thought that was pretty good. At least there are some LEOs out there that are not all that trigger happy.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There is of course mixed responses to the video as one can see in the post on the video and as well other forums have posted as well in the past.

Videos show one point of view not all views, note the officers were ducking before shots where fired, that would indicate to me that there was a imminent threat.
With the lighting that the officers were likely seeing is far less or possibly the added glare of the background lights then the video from angles (night cameras have a low lux or assisted with infrared) would pick up a lot more detail.
How can you hold the naked eye to a higher standard then humanly possible?

Honestly when I first saw the video I thought it was a gun as it played with his actions as well.

If you have not seen the following video, take time to review and follow his instructions, as it will give you some insight to he human physic and see what sex has better attention skills.

[video=youtube;LGYVWkLORuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGYVWkLORuk&feature=player_embedded#at=74[/video]

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
so umm..... how many were there? I got 17 and I did see the gorilla / ape / primate of some kind.

I think the speaker acknowledge about 50% of the audience saw the man/woman in an ape suit of sorts. It does give some credence on how witnesses to the same event will come away with different views of what was seen.

sudden valley gunner

I think the speaker acknowledge about 50% of the audience saw the man/woman in an ape suit of sorts. It does give some credence on how witnesses to the same event will come away with different views of what was seen.

Ask a 100 witnesses to a car accident you will get a 100 different versions of what happened.

HeesBonafide

How the story changes when they couldn't find a gun outside the vehicle.....

Do you suppose it could be a strategic step since they are expecting legal reaction the family?

As I have been suspecting all along, Brooks did NOT have a gun in his hands, it was in fact his wallet. Remember, the initial reports were that the officer approached the vehicle and Brooks’ came out waving a gun – the police knew all along that this was NOT the case and chose to stick to their tactic of deception, duplicity and lies to vilify someone that did not need to die.

Let’s think about one thing that the police are now saying, “She could see Papineau, through the back window of his truck, holding a handgun in his right hand.” If you were going to shoot a police officer, do you keep the gun low (below the window) to keep the element of surprise or lift it in the air for all to see? This revised story is merely the police’s way to provide CYA since his gun was found IN the truck – where it always was in order to justify this officer’s knee jerk reaction. Now, that it came out that he never had a gun in his hand, the police revise their story to justify this killing.

Officer’s are trained professionals and are suppose to be on top of these situations and know the difference and take appropriate action. If the tables were turned and a “normal” citizen had shot in the exact same manner as the officer, do you suppose the courts would say it was justified? Or do you suppose the citizen would be looking at jail time?

What has happened here is a travesty and someone needlessly died that night…..over a wallet.

Vitaeus

1>driving erratically
2>gets out of vehicle
3>yelling/gesturing with something in hand
4>Nighttime
5>adrenaline

Sad someone died, but how many of these events did the dead man create?

HeesBonafide

We don't know if three is correct

1>driving erratically
2>gets out of vehicle
3>yelling/gesturing with something in hand
4>Nighttime
5>adrenaline

Sad someone died, but how many of these events did the dead man create?

What happened outside the vehicle is in question. There is no evidence of him yelling or gesturing with something in his hand. All we do know is that he was out of the vehicle with something in his hand (his wallet).

The police KNEW he did not have a gun the night of the shooting, yet, stated (and stuck with their story) that he came out of the vehicle "waving a gun." Now, that it has come out that he never had a gun, you have to now call into question the entire testimony of the police and question the police's integrity as a whole.

Vitaeus

As far as I know the RCW's, it is not illegal to leave your vehicle at a traffic stop, but the current expectation is that you sit in your car and wait for the officer to provide direction. The dead man made many poor choices in this encounter, the police may have as well, the only one who is alive to provide answers is the policewoman. There are many other more questionable incidents to discuss, with more facts available, this one boils down to her word, not much room for discussion left.