• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The "1000" foot rule for schools

mkl

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I've gone down this road in the past with other people and have noticed something interesting. They also tend to believe that the combustion in a gasoline reciprocating piston engine is an explosion. It isn't.. it is also a controlled burn.

Explosions can occur in firearms but when they do, they generally result in damage to the weapon and sometimes to the user. I have seen this and believe me, there is a difference. Also I loaded ammunition for 30 years, so watching this carefully was in my interest.

"Typical examples of deflagrations are combustion of a gas-air mixture in a gas stove or a fuel-air mixture in an internal combustion engine, a rapid burning of a gunpowder in a firearm or pyrotechnic mixtures in fireworks."

If you believe that firearms operate via the explosion of a combustible, then we are definitely on a different page and will just have to agree to disagree. Same thing for automobile engines. I have also seen what happens to them when the fuel/air mix explodes.

I think we are on different pages, but it is just because of not using the same definitions of words.

I believe that there is a difference between detonation and deflagration, although they are both subsets of the more general "explosion".
So a automobile does not operate on a detonation, but deflagration, which is an explosion of a specific type.
Same with a firearm.

A firearm uses an explosion to propel a bullet. That explosion is in the form of deflagration, not detonation.

Explosion - to undergo a rapid chemical or nuclear reaction with the production of noise, heat, and violent expansion of gases

Deflagration Explosion - (Lat: de + flagrare, "to burn down") is a technical term describing subsonic combustion that usually propagates through thermal conductivity

Detonation - a process of combustion in which a supersonic shock wave is propagated through a fluid due to an energy release in a reaction zone.

I wonder if what you are really saying is that you have seen when "the fuel/air mix" detonates......As it is "exploding" every time the cylinder fires in a deflagration explosion.

You seem to be using the word "explosion" as synonymous with "detonation", when I believe that a "detonation" is just one of the 2 types of explosions, the other being deflagration.

No one probably needs to know or care the definitions of these words in normal lives...unless you actually start trying to prove that firearm laws aren't legal because they only include "explosive" weapons. :)

TFred

imported post

Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
Since when did the laws of physics ever control human legal systems?
Oooooooo. Great question. Lemme see.

Just in England, between 1066 (Norman conquest) and the mid-18th century, there were nineteenrebellions.

There was the Glorious Revolution with its declaration of rights.

We all learned about that little business that got rolling at Concord,Lexington, and Breed's Hill.

Lotsa times the laws of physics controlled humanlegal systems.
I suspect he meant to say something more along the lines of:

"since when did human legal systems ever accurately describe events that behave according to the laws of physics?"

Just a guess. :) If I'm off base, 'pologies for speculating...

TFred

user

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

TFred wrote:
Citizen wrote:
user wrote:
Since when did the laws of physics ever control human legal systems?
Oooooooo.  Great question.  Lemme see.

Just in England, between 1066 (Norman conquest) and the mid-18th century, there were nineteen rebellions.

There was the Glorious Revolution with its declaration of rights.

We all learned about that little business that got rolling at Concord, Lexington, and Breed's Hill. 

Lotsa times the laws of physics controlled human legal systems.
I suspect he meant to say something more along the lines of:

"since when did human legal systems ever accurately describe events that behave according to the laws of physics?"

Just a guess.  :)  If I'm off base, 'pologies for speculating...

TFred

It was actually a rhetorical question. In fact, legislatures really don't care about physics and often create definitions that are at odds with reality, and judges go by what the laws of the state say, not the laws of physics. If I could do physics, after all, or arithmetic for that matter, I wouldn't have had to have become a lawyer.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have pulled up and read, and printed off for reference, the text for US Code 18,922 entitled "Unlawful Acts". Under section #2, it clearly states what the law is pertaining to possessing and carrying firearms within 1000 feet of a school. In a nutshell, 2.B.ii specifically addresses this issue.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/922.html

Now I need to go back and read about Virginia code relating to schools.