• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The effectiveness of defensive shooting, data

solus

first good or bad end all?

quote: The idea that firearms are frequently used in self-defense is the primary argument that the gun lobby and firearms industry use to expand the carrying of firearms into an ever-increasing number of public spaces and even to prevent the regulation of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines. Yet this argument is hollow and the assertions false. unquote.

sorry background material is highly suspect as generated by self serving researchers and a cursory review of the data doesn't show the correlation the Joyce (chicago based) and Herb Block (DC based) foundations believes it does.

I shan't quote Eliza Gutch saying which has been incorrectly attributed to TWAIN...but much to ado about nada and poorly done at that (really, whomever approved this document and paid the grant based on this twaddle should have the money taken from their personal paycheck as the published document is horrible and apparently without peer merit).

ipse

Last edited:

The Truth

I think a lot of simpletons see 8k+ criminal homicides next to <1k justifiable homicides and immediately, albeit ignorantly, conclude that "good guy with a gun" is a myth.

The Truth

My simple brain is trying to formulate an effective way to communicate that these numbers and data are not science and one cannot reach an accurate conclusion based on these numbers. At the very least, it is impossible to support the claim that GGWAG is a myth based on available data, or as I like to call them, "multiple anecdotes."

Ezek

how about instead of GGWAG, it is ME WITH A GUN can keep ME safe. screw everyone else who decided they wanted to be perfect victim material that day.

and by that I mean I keep ME safe with a gun, YOU keep YOU safe with a gun, it is not MY job to provide YOU security. that is YOUR responsibility.

Last edited:

nonameisgood

And of course this all ignored the greater reason for us to all have guns - keeping the government in its place. At least in theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
And of course this all ignored the greater reason for us to all have guns - keeping the government in its place. At least in theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at what the governments do now, when we have guns.

What do you think that they would be doing if we didn't have guns? We would have tracking rods up our bums already.

So I think that ownership already has effects.

MamaLiberty

Doesn't matter why, really, but nobody attempted to attack me today. That's a "win" any day.

But the people who think they own us want to confiscate our guns because they truly want to do things to us that we won't allow as long as we have guns.

Another excellent reason to own and carry a gun...