• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Supreme Court refuses to consider ability of 18- to 20-year-olds to buy guns.

Contrarian

As the title reads...if already posted elsewhere, apologies.

"WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court refused Monday to consider any new cases on gun rights, including the ability of 18- to 20-year-olds to buy guns.

The decision, however, does not preclude the court eventually agreeing to consider the next big legal issue in the national debate over guns: whether the right to keep a gun at home for self-defense extends to public places."

Opinions?

davidmcbeth

Banned
This does not surprise me at all...as I have stated before on may occasions, SCOTUS will not take up any gun cases in the near future.

That is why we have to look elsewhere for relief.

Wake up and smell the reality of the stench that is our court system.

Thundar

Three gun rights cases were turned down. Lane v. Holder had nothing to do with 18-20 year olds in Texas.

From SCOTUSBLOG:

Court denies gun rights cases (UPDATED)
UPDATED 1:37 p.m. This post on this morning’s orders by the Court has been significantly expanded.

———–

The Supreme Court refused on Monday, as it has done repeatedly in recent years, to settle the issue of whether Second Amendment rights to have a gun extend beyond the home. The Court, without comment, denied three new petitions — two filed by the National Rifle Association — seeking clarification on the scope of an individual’s right to have a gun for personal self-defense. In other orders, the Court did not accept any new cases for review, although it did hold over a number of cases it had examined for potential review.

Since the Court first ruled nearly six years ago that the Second Amendment protects a personal right to have a gun, it has issued only one further ruling — expanding that right so that it applies nationwide, to state and local gun control laws, as well as to federal laws. But, without exception, the Justices have turned aside every potential sequel, essentially leaving it to lower courts to continue to sort out variations on the right...

Link: http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/02/court-denies-gun-rights-cases/#more-205497

conandan

It seems to me, that with this administration's anti gun agenda. They do not want to take any cases that would undermine that agenda.
And even with the past rulings for SCOTUS and federal courts the states and local governments don't change.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It seems to me, that with this administration's anti gun agenda. They do not want to take any cases that would undermine that agenda.
And even with the past rulings for SCOTUS and federal courts the states and local governments don't change.

I don't think that SCOTUS & POTUS have any relationship in this regard. SCOTUS has always been reluctant to take gun cases. They accepted the Heller case and the McDonald case was almost required after the Heller case.

Before that, the Miller case was the last "big" case...in 1939.

I would expect them to take another gun case (that would really matter) in maybe 50 more years..and that's a big maybe.

Hence my "radical" but completely legal method of forcing state's to eliminate their gun laws.