• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transit Issues

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
The Spokane Transit Authority is now training drivers that open and concealed carry are rights and that firearms are permitted on STA buses in compliance with state law.

Their policy has always mirrored that of state law, but drivers are now specifically being trained that the carrying of firearms is acceptable in accordance with state laws.
King County Metro/Sound Transit has had no such training.:cuss:

KB 88

imported post

Gray Peterson wrote:
Recently, due to my own letter writing campaign to the legal counsel for the local transit agencies in the Central Puget Sound region, I have managed to convince two public transit agencies to drop their illegal "no weapon or firearms" rules against those who are legally carrying.

However, I still excercise caution with open carry on public transit at the moment. These agencies (Community (Snohomish) Transit and Pierce Transit) have just started the process of training their drivers, supervisors, security officers, and customer service to recognize the legality of carry on buses. Also, I still haven't begun my effort to educate the PD's on the legality of open carry (the white paper on this is ongoing, I do work for a living, and I can't work on this sort of thing at work at all, gun free zone, won't carry there, etc).

Though my main focus was with removing the rules and training the drivers, both agencies are in agreement due to me bringing up the issue, that open carry is prima facie legal in Washington State on a bus, as long as you possess a valid Concealed Pistol License (you cannot carry a loaded pistol in a vehicle without a CPL, carried openly or concealed).

Sound Transit has acknowledged this, however their drivers are from the local transit agencies. I will be in contact with the security division and their security contractor's account manager (Securitas Security Services, USA) to push the point with them.

Everett Transit is the only remaining agency left, and King County Metro is going to need a reminder, plus the Metro Transit Police. When I have more information, I will let everyone know.

The reason why I'm doing this proactively is to prevent situations like what happened with Sandy at Bellevue Square with the transit agencies. I've seen public transit drivers violate rules and tell people they couldn't have something on a bus when it's completely legal and not even against the rules. I am hoping to get letters on agency letterhead to clear the path with any rogue drivers.

Thanks,

Lonnie Wilson
I just wanted to say I personally really appreciate what your doing, I just recently discovered that the policies of the transit I've been riding for over 5 years were illegal ones.

I'd like to extend my help in anyway possible.