• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TX long gun incident: This is probably worth a discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveT319

I took my walk yesterday, three miles on a well traveled road. I decided to open carry my 1894 Marlin, passed by two deputies at different times. They did not even slow down. ON top of that Miss Mary 86 years old was out in her yard with her dogs, carrying without sling her Winchester lever action rifle. Neither of us felt a need to point our guns at each other or felt intimidated. We had a about a half hour conversation laughing, at YOU! I did suggest to her that she should get a handgun as it would be easier to carry, but she has carried that rifle for years. She has never been arrested or bothered by criminals, even with her age.

You really need to get control of your phobias before going out in public with a firearm. You are much more dangerous than those who carry a long gun at the "low ready".

Solus is correct we live mostly in a civilized state where only criminals and police point guns at people. I can guarantee you that if either you or anyone else here that thinks pointing guns at anybody is cute. Miss Mary will teach you the proper manners.

That's a cute story. Why don't you try it somewhere other than in your head next time...

WalkingWolf

WW - the old admonition of the Boy Scouts comes to mind, specifically "Be Prepared."
In all liklihood, I probably wouldn't approach someone carrying at the "low ready".
However, if they came towards me W/O being asked, I would be inclined to have my handgun close at hand. It wouldn't necessarily be pointed at the person approaching me, but it wouldn't be far off-side either.

CYA

The problem is he clearly stated he pointed the gun at the open carrier. Anybody points a gun at me other than law enforcement I will respond accordingly. It is just sheer insanity to point guns at law abiding people.

He is very lucky he did not take a trip to the morgue or the hospital...

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

The problem is he clearly stated he pointed the gun at the open carrier. Anybody points a gun at me other than law enforcement I will respond accordingly. It is just sheer insanity to point guns at law abiding people.

He is very lucky he did not take a trip to the morgue or the hospital...

I almost responded accordingly to a law enforcement officer, he didn't identify himself as such. Even if he did the human instinct for defense is there, I don't think you think they should be excluded, but you and I know we'd end up dead for doing what is right and human nature.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

"You keep using that [phrase]. I don't think it means what you think it means."

Well it certainly does not mean pointing guns at people without cause, or following LE and trying to play cop. A person who is not breaking the law is law abiding, how plain does it get.

Carrying long gun in Texas even at low ready = law abiding

Pointing guns at people when not threatened = criminal act

If you do not know the difference then heed the advice of your family.

solus

davet, i am truly sorry you are suffering from a short term memory loss since you explained your foibles to the kind folk out here on the forum...

have you thought abut taking b12, under the tongue, to mitigate the affects of this affliction?

ipse

DaveT319

Wait, I followed the police? YOU might want to go back and re-familiarize yourself with what happened.

But I appreciate your concern, however misdirected and unnecessary it might be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.