• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Texas - Any Advice?

nonameisgood

Thank you and I'm glad you had a good visit. Come back any time.

Interestingly, I just this week read the 1871 law and subsequent court cases which outlawed the carrying of ALL weapons here. It seems that it was an attempt to civilize us. Shortly after passage, they arrested a guy for riding his horse with a pistol while traveling, and the judge decided he was emblematic of the issue, and threw the book at him. Geez.

KBCraig

I do find it strange that Texas law forbids CC in amusement parks specifically, of all places. What's so special about amusement parks anyway?

Money talks, that's what.

When CHL first passed in the 1995 session, the law as written only forbade carry in year-'round amusement parks with secure entrances, in counties of population over 1,000,000. In other words, Six Flags Over Texas. End of list.

San Antonio's Fiesta Texas later came to qualify, but by then the law had already been changed to what it is today: only if they post under PC 30.06.

Feh. Matters not to me. I burned out on Six Flags by the time I was 6, and from that time on always preferred to camp in the Ouachitas, or visit Silver Dollar City in Branson (we usually did both).

pfries

Since the thread is back up and I am heading that way on 03/10/13

Any new and important updates or changes?

I have read through the code a bit convoluted but no worse than TN. To bad OC will still be out of the question.

I will be attending some additional training on our BI software 3/11-3/13.

Are there any special precautions for hotels etc. that I should be aware of, short of staying out of the lounge.

Thanks
Pat

nonameisgood

No problem in a hotel lounge, unless there is a sign with a big red 51 on it, which there will not be. Since most have a single license for the lobby bar and restaurant, and they sell enough food to keep it below 51% of sales.

Nothing new. There a few hotels that are posted as you enter. You can take the gun in as a traveler, but once registered, they prohibit licensed concealed carry. Considering it is your domicile once you're checked in, it is likely to be unenforceable.