• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA state sheriff deputy "We have a lot of Constitutionalists" to justify MRAP use.

StanSwitek

Banned
That shows an incredible lack of understand of how law enforcement works. You above all need to become involved. No more excuses.

Actually, I'd be OK with getting rid of the vast majority of cops. I'd keep investigators (homicide, larceny, rape, etc.) and I might even let some of the big cities keep a SWAT team. But the vast majority of "proactive policing" serves to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of arbitrary criminality, the primary purpose of which is to fuel the police arm of the parasitic public service industry.

But that's not what I argued, and you know it. What I argued is that we (the people) get to decide what threats you (our servants) prepare for, and when you're negligent for the failure to do so. We might deign to take your expert advice into consideration. But then again, we might not.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
What a complete cop out. I call total BS.

Have you ever taken a police science class at community college? Availed yourself to a citizens police academy to learn more about law enforcement? Volunteered with your local PD?

Of course not!!!

Much easier to sit there tapping on your computer whining about the system. Don't like it? Get off you ass and make a difference.

This message is for all you complainers. You do nothing but complain. You do nothing to make a difference.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way before – certainly not the last half a dozen times you posted the same "argument". :rolleyes:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That shows an incredible lack of understand of how law enforcement works.

I thought you were about to work yourself up to an argument there, but then you just kind of sputtered out.

Incidentally, back in the real world "experience" isn't some magic potion which delivers unvarnished Truth. My perspective as an outsider is no less inherently valuable than is yours as an insider.

Simply put, you are not incentivized to develop an objective opinion about the efficacy, purpose, and ultimate merit of proactive policing. That doesn't mean that you are incapable of doing so, but it does mean that your position as an insider doesn't automatically give you the credence you seem to believe it does.

What you're committing here is an implicit appeal to authority, and it's considered to have zero intrinsic value. You need to follow through with the actual arguments which lend credence to your putative authority.

Last edited:

StanSwitek

Banned
I am involved 40+ hours weekly. I work the streets. I deal with quality of life issues. I attend public meetings. I respond to requests for information from the public and politicians.

Please tell us all what you have done (besides use your keyboard to snipe.)

YOU first!

Last edited:

OC for ME

What a complete cop out. I call total BS.

Primus tried this, issued this challenge. I countered with the obvious, why must I become a insider when you are already there. Your challenge implicitly states, as did Primus', that you will not do anything to upset the apple cart and will want me to do the upsetting for you. "That is not how it works" as has been stated earlier.

In other words, I (we) are doing all the work to make the cop shop/citizen dynamic to the liking of all, without any help for the cop side of the dynamic. No big deal, you have no duty to make the dynamic to the liking of all, just do your job the best you can, respect rights, follow the law. If that is the best you can do I can live with that and I (we) will keep on plugging away at the dynamic without you.

Anyway, "MRAPs" are used for the safety of cops, as they should be, but don't pronounce from on high that they are to protect the public when their ability to do so is almost guaranteed to be mitigated by the very tactics used by LE to distance innocent citizens from the threats that warrant a MRAP.

StanSwitek

Banned
Again, a complete cop out!

Primus tried this, issued this challenge. I countered with the obvious, why must I become a insider when you are already there. Your challenge implicitly states, as did Primus', that you will not do anything to upset the apple cart and will want me to do the upsetting for you. "That is not how it works" as has been stated earlier.

In other words, I (we) are doing all the work to make the cop shop/citizen dynamic to the liking of all, without any help for the cop side of the dynamic. No big deal, you have no duty to make the dynamic to the liking of all, just do your job the best you can, respect rights, follow the law. If that is the best you can do I can live with that and I (we) will keep on plugging away at the dynamic without you.

Anyway, "MRAPs" are used for the safety of cops, as they should be, but don't pronounce from on high that they are to protect the public when their ability to do so is almost guaranteed to be mitigated by the very tactics used by LE to distance innocent citizens from the threats that warrant a MRAP.

Primus

You should become an "insider" because I am not your puppet or mouthpiece. Instead of me going to work and saying "hey guys I met this dude in the internet and he has this opinion on this and it got me thinking....." You should become my boss (not hypothetically but literally) or over some direct change by joining and changing stuff on the street.

You really do have a good ideas and viewpoints. Your one of the few that's a regular poster that I actually listen and try to change stuff or at least stop and rethink for a moment.

But at the end of the day your just a anonymous dude on the internet postng some ideas and opinions (even if they are good ones). That means your literal affect on anything is well.. Minimal if at all. Even if you somehow retrained my thinking I'm one dude on the street. If you were my chief you'd implement ideas to about 300.

Make sense?

Finally, we do disagree on some points. If I disagree you can't expect me to affect change that you want because you asked real nicely. If you want change YOU change it.... Thats said with respect.

OC Freedom

Actually, I'd be OK with getting rid of the vast majority of cops. I'd keep investigators (homicide, larceny, rape, etc.) and I might even let some of the big cities keep a SWAT team. But the vast majority of "proactive policing" serves to create a self-fulfilling prophecy of arbitrary criminality, the primary purpose of which is to fuel the police arm of the parasitic public service industry.

But that's not what I argued, and you know it. What I argued is that we (the people) get to decide what threats you (our servants) prepare for, and when you're negligent for the failure to do so. We might deign to take your expert advice into consideration. But then again, we might not.

We do it through a process of discussion (like this one right here). Maybe it turns out that most folks wants a lot more cops than I do. So long as we live in a "representative" society, then so be it. But in neither event does it consist of you imperiously informing us how much money we need to render unto you. (Or maybe it does, but then we promptly undercut your request by as much as we please, like any boss.)

I agree with this. My thought is to do away with all police and only keep sheriff departments. We at least can vote a sheriff into or out of office.

The Truth

Food Lion is pro people, he would not last long there as an employee. I have never seen a guard at Food Lion, even in the bad neighborhoods of FayetteNam.

There's always a guard at the one near my house. There's one guy with what appears to be a Glock 17 and others are not armed.

Bernymac

Oy vey!
fark_jppkhhzSjhbHgJOBKmLNLn-Abqg.jpg

The Truth

That must be a really rough neighborhood. I thought Fayetteville was about as rough as it gets.

My neighborhood is really not bad, honestly. There are some rough spots about a mile or so away though, bad enough that I understand the need for the guard.

I've heard some stories about Fayette-Nam. Richmond has some ugly spots too.