• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What do I need to do regarding my NFA items when I move?

John Pierce

Staff member
May 5, 2006
Probably the single question I am asked most frequently by NFA trust clients is “What do I need to do when I move?”

When I mentioned this to one of my law school classmates (who does not own any NFA items) he asked why this particular issue causes so much anxiety in the NFA community?

The answer is simple … NFA collectors understand that the suppressors, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, AOWs, and machine guns they own are some of the most heavily regulated consumer products in the country.

They also understand that violating any one of several dozen ATF regulations can instantly transform a law-abiding citizen into a criminal. And let’s not forget that, in addition to federal laws and regulations, many states have their own laws governing NFA items which an unsuspecting new resident may inadvertently violate.

So … with that having been said … what do you need to do when you are moving and you have properly registered NFA items?

Excerpt ... Read more at The Law Office of John Pierce, Esq.