• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is going to open carry while voting?

ocholsteroc

its a school, they just changed it a few years ago becuase the school was built..

UG I edit both my post, sorry this one is NOT TO THE ^ ABOVE ONE sorry USNA69. I ment MY voting place used to be at a Church now its at a School.

Last edited:

HeroHog

I open carried while voting today! :banana: No schools close, it was a Knights Of Columbus building, not a church. No one said a word if they even noticed the gun sticking up out of the bag in my lap even though it was easy to see. Went by Wal-Mart on the way home and nothing said/noticed that I could spot there either. Being in a wheelchair may have something to do with it... :question:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
wylde007 wrote:
Mine's in an elementary school - so I wear an empty holster and mag cases.
Its the best I can do. :?

Oh, and a VCDL hat. :)

Yata hey

And don't forget to use your CHL (if you have one) as the government-issued identification.

Thundar

Is that even legal?

No, it sure is not as it is a violation of equal protection. The state acts as an agent for only the democrap and refusnic parties. They refuse to have primaries for any other parties, and have extensive ballot qualification requirements for all but the democrat and republican party candidates.

Unequal treatment of parties is beyond unfair, it is a relic of the old two party system that we will kill very soon.

user

Accomplished Advocate
First, let me say that I do not recommend carrying in a school building while voting. Too much opportunity for trouble.

That said, it is my opinion that a "school" is not a building, it is a group of people. That's why we use phrases like school-house to describe the building. Same thing with "college", "faculty", and "congregation". All relate to groups of people, not places or things.

Where I vote, the school is closed on election day. There is no school that day. The building is merely a voting place, and as such, I believe that the best view is that carrying when there is no school in session within the building that normally houses the school is perfectly legal. Same idea as with the no-carrying-in-court rule. In the City of Falls Church, for example, the General District Court is in session on Tues. and Thurs. mornings (if I recall correctly) in the same room used for meetings of the City Council. When there's no judge there, it's not a court.

If anyone were arrested for carrying in a school building on election day when no school is in session, and hired me to represent them, that (along with interference with voting rights), would be the defense I'd make.

Regular_Joe

§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship.

If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

Unless the church was holding services during voting hours, you should be good to go...

Yep - voting at a church and voting armed. There is just something danged American with that!