• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who would of guessed???

since9

Campaign Veteran
Have you ever watched the documentary, The Vietnam War, by Ken Burns? It's "a comprehensive history of the United States' involvement in the bitterly divisive armed conflict in Southeast Asia."

All 16h 30min of it!

I'm only on the second of its ten episodes. Deep stuff. Extremely thorough.

My uncle, who was an intelligence officer during the war, highly recommended it. When I asked him, "Is it accurate?" he replied, "Very."

FreedomVA

I have not...what i know of the war is limited to Hollywood Platton, The Killing Field...ect.....which i am sure it's not accurate. might take some time and watch it. thnx.....
I can just imagine what the soldiers had to endured and coming home to be spit on is not cool.....but i guess everyone is just an expendable numbers to the gov't

OC for ME

The liberal protesters back then were not interested in the war, it was a vehicle, used for tearing down the institutions that made America the global beacon of liberty that it once was. Restoring individual liberty via the repealing of prior restraint infringements of our 2A is the singular threat to liberals and their liberal agenda. When liberty expands, liberals and their lunacy are soon relegated to the dust bin of history...they recognize this and will do anything to stop the inevitable.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I am sadden by how many young lives were lost and even today lessons still have not learned.

I recall a number of Vietnam era "lessons learned" that were taught in various PME courses during my 20 years in the military. In fact, here's an outstanding graph that shows both the fatalities as well as the fatality rate for all wars since the year 1400.

What really intrigues me is the second chart, "World-wide battle deaths per 100,000 people," showing just how much war has died down over the last 20 years. Whether it will stay that way is anyone's guess.

The site notes: "A recent paper, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb and Pasquale Cirillo, argued that our current peaceful era was a statistical myth: that dips in war deaths should be expected, as Roser's chart shows, and that there's no reason to believe this time should be different. Pinker and others argue, by contrast, that things really have changed: that the rise of democracy, capitalism, industrial civilization, and international institutions like the UN have radically transformed the way global politics operates."

I'm of the personal opinion that the increase in international trade makes it more imperative for countries to settle their differences peaceably. However, that's by no means an absolute, and we still have the ever-rising tide of Islam to deal with.

PME: Professional Military Education

FreedomVA

I have no problem defending my country if Islam or other Invaders come..13569
I rather have peace then unnecessary war.....i'm more of a luver then a fighter.

I also believe each country should have it's own sovereignty with free trade to nurture entrepreneurship and inventions to better his life, family, country and mankind..When you join a "Group" "Membership" you loose some of your sovereignty.

Last edited: