• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you open carry?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I WASN'T looking for a confrontation, truth be told, I was looking for CONFIRMATION that what I was doing was "acceptable" in NV...

That is an excellent summary of why that thread exists. Well put.

Turbod'1

I'm not sure I understand. Can you impart some wisdom upon me?

Not sure where he was going with that, but I DO know that people wear seat belts because it's the "Law" so that argument/justification is spurious at best. :p

That is an excellent summary of why that thread exists. Well put.

I keep regular office hours if you ever need more.

J/K: Unemployed and time has no meaning to me! :D

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
When I started carrying OC was the only legal option as I was too young for a CCW permit. So I open carried for years before I even became eligible for a permit. By the time I got my CCW permit I was fully accustomed to open carry and didn't see a good reason to conceal all the time. Even with a permit to conceal, there are many places that it is only legal to open carry and not legal to carry concealed.

I like to OC. It is more comfortable to carry a much larger and therefore easier to use gun, and it can be deployed quickly. It can also potentially deter an attack from the start and prevent one from needing to draw a gun in the first place. I think if OC was more common, crime would be less common. Imagine if every place had a handful of customers and/or staff OCing... I bet armed robbery would be very rare.

Personally, I feel that to carry amounts to a civic duty.

Yes, concealed firearms can also be used for self-defense, but they lack a direct deterrent effect, generally cause greater discomfort to the wearer, and generally result in the carrier choosing a firearm which is less effective.

Also, I don't want Hollywood to be our sole spokesperson. Most people only hear about guns on TV, and on TV anyone with a gun is either a cop or a bad guy and every time they see a gun there is a shootout within the next few minutes. If people see regular people carrying guns without bad things happening, I think that will strengthen public relations for gun rights and result in less erosion of our rights.

It is unfortunate that some people may worry, as you once did, but it seems afterwards you had a greater understanding. Ultimately, it is not logical to fear a person with a holstered firearm when any person could be hiding a firearm. Because I believe gun rights fall onto the side of logic, I believe that public education will ultimately result in more strengthening of rights than eroding of them.

A lot of people treat gun carry as if it were a dirty secret, and not only keep their guns hidden but refuse to even talk about them to their co-workers, friends, and even family. As a result, many people think gun carrying is only for "paranoid people" and they don't even realize that regular people, even people they know and respect, carry. I think as a result of the stigma caused, people are less likely to get their own gun to defend themselves (because they don't want that negative stigma against them), causing a positive feedback loop that increases crime and increases the likelihood of restrictive measures that are passed against "crazy gun nuts." I feel that carrying a sidearm is nothing to be ashamed of.

Some places don't like guns and at those places one may be able to get away with CC where they would be kicked out for OC. But I'd rather not shop at those places anyway. I'd rather go somewhere that supports gun rights than some place that does not.

Last edited:

Harley

To keep the crackheads away mostly. They never ask me for change, a cigarette, etc... They see it and they walk away or focus on somebody else.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...I can't carry at this time due to something that happened over 26 years ago...
IF you are really interested in carry of any sort - and your statement makes me wonder if you could legally do so, why start with OC?

That's MY question.

...I'm in the process of attempting to get my record expunged. BTW, any advise there would be helpful as well. No attorney in Maryland (where the issue exists) has responded to my request for assistance, but it's all been using email through websites...
advice

Sure, go to the Maryland sub-forum and ask your state-specific question.

Last edited:

TheAlien

As I've said earlier, thank you all for your posts. There were quite a few that made a lot of sense after I thought about it.

I'll check out the state specific forum to see if I can get an answer to my question about previous record. As for wondering IF I want to and WHY I can't, it's none of your business. But I will say this, Ever been divorced from a vile woman who wanted to take you for everything you had and had a really good attorney? Yeah, they tell "stories" to cops... And starting with OC would be a LOT easier than trying to get a CC permit, no? Kinda gotta get the gun ownership right first, right?

For those of you who said I "don't sound like a freedom loving gun owner", I've decided not to care what you think. It's the people like you that make people worry about OC in the first place, and give the rest a bad name. I'll make sure to steer clear of the spelling police going forward as well. Don't be surprised when I turn into the grammar Nazi for a few specific folks. After meeting the few people I've met from this forum and enjoyed a beer, I'm not going to let a few unfriendlies change my opinion of the group here. The rest of you sound like reasonable, friendly people, so I'll continue to take my advice from you friendlies.

Vegassteve

TheAlien;2011886. And starting with OC would be a LOT easier than trying to get a CC permit said:
Thats the thing. What ever felony you have keeps you from owning. If you can own then you can OC and CC. If you cant own you are not doing either legally. So it seems you cant even start. No?

jfrey123

Before everyone keeps judging the poor guy, there are crimes that won't bar you from ownership/OC but will get your CCW denied or revoked. DUI and any drug related offense are the big ones there.

TheAlien, I feel a little bad for ya. There are some members who think if you aren't full time OC then you're "not helping the cause" or "you don't love freedom". Okay, maybe not those exact things, but it absolutely garners negative reactions if you don't 100% believe that OC should be all over and everyone should do it. It's this sort of judgement that keeps my posts here to a minimum. [flamesuiton]

Kind of responding to your original question: Why do I OC? I do it when and if it's convenient to me. I commend the guys who do it at an activist level, but I don't have the time or money to "fight the fight" should my rights be trampled upon. So for the most part, if I OC, I'm only doing it when going about my normal daily activities. I'd say better than 95% of the time that I am CC: I like the "tactical advantage", I don't like to OC with the wife and newborn in case someone does become confrontational. But if I'm going shooting, or I'm going to a known gun friendly environment, or I simply don't want the hassle of dressing around my firearm, I'll OC.

I do not believe the "see if they can/what reaction they get" is the common reason and I don't think that's a fair assessment. This is a discussion forum, so we do share experiences. Gun owners like to know and communicate if a business doesn't support gun ownership, and the activist side of this board does have the goal of making OC more common place. Knowledge of where we are supported and where we are shunned is valuable to that goal, and worthy of note since I'm not going to support most businesses that toss a person [flame suit on again because yes, I shop certain places with no gun signs, so cue the members who can't handle my honesty].

I would like to see open carry with no issues. I wouldn't mind the "old-timey" ways with guns openly displayed on most people's hips. Never once encountering an OC'er have I felt like I was in danger, in fact it's really refreshing for me to see someone who I'd assume is of a similar mindset.

To generally answer the questions in the final paragraph of your first post, some of it for me is to help make it common place and contribute to the "cause". Up here in Washoe County, our elected Sheriff earlier this year released a press statement confirming OC is perfectly legal without a permit. While it's mostly it's a convenience thing, it really boils down to "I can, so I will." I'm not trying to "get a reaction" or scare anybody, far from it. I don't feel more powerful because of it, truth be told I'm actually less confrontational when I'm armed. I do feel less capable of defending myself or my family when unarmed (and not afraid to admit it). If I leave my house, and my destination is not a lawfully forbidden GFZ, then I'm packing heat. Period.

Vegassteve

Before everyone keeps judging the poor guy, there are crimes that won't bar you from ownership/OC but will get your CCW denied or revoked. DUI and any drug related offense are the big ones there.

Well I am guessing his crime bars him from ownership, since he said he cant own them.

28kfps

As I've said earlier, thank you all for your posts. There were quite a few that made a lot of sense after I thought about it.

I'll check out the state specific forum to see if I can get an answer to my question about previous record. As for wondering IF I want to and WHY I can't, it's none of your business. But I will say this, Ever been divorced from a vile woman who wanted to take you for everything you had and had a really good attorney? Yeah, they tell "stories" to cops... And starting with OC would be a LOT easier than trying to get a CC permit, no? Kinda gotta get the gun ownership right first, right?

For those of you who said I "don't sound like a freedom loving gun owner", I've decided not to care what you think. It's the people like you that make people worry about OC in the first place, and give the rest a bad name. I'll make sure to steer clear of the spelling police going forward as well. Don't be surprised when I turn into the grammar Nazi for a few specific folks. After meeting the few people I've met from this forum and enjoyed a beer, I'm not going to let a few unfriendlies change my opinion of the group here. The rest of you sound like reasonable, friendly people, so I'll continue to take my advice from you friendlies.

I know of a young man that had his gun right taken away here in Nevada. X-wife boyfriend gets involved as he was trying to get some of his stuff. They all get into a scuffle, in the scuffle the husband pushed the x-wife out of the way. They call the cops the wife says her x-husband pushed her, no injuries or marks. New boyfriend says. yep x-husband pushed her. Just like that domestic violence charges, the end to his gun rights. I am all for laws trying to keep criminals away from guns however I do believe domestic violence charges often times come from lying or a exaggerating pissed off spouse and used for permanent vindictive revenge. What better tool for such mission than lying or exaggerating and getting your x spouse charged with domestic violence?
Obviously I have no idea of Allen issue however this is one example of BS usage of the gun rights law.

Added later. This young man was a 2nd degree Black Belt tae kwon do state champ. I was in the same Dojo for years. He was in the Special Forces if he wanted to be violent he could have. It would appear he controlled himself well.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Nopt to mention, No jury trial, but felony penalty's. as well as the burden of proof. I had an employee get accused and found guilty of DV when I know for a fact he was working with me. utter BS

De5115

I typically CC. But I do OC at least once a month.

Why do I OC? Because there is nothing wrong or illegal with me doing it. The reason I don't do it more is to avoid potential hassles. But it is import that we do OC and that people see it because people get freaked out when something is out of the ordinary. So we need to OC while doing ordinary things.