• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another no-knock warrant served....

XD40sc

False dilemma. If there was a no-knock warrant in my home, it would have been a mistake. Maybe not the police, but somewhere, someone made a mistake.

At 2:30, I would not be able to react to the invasion until it was too late. By the time I could react, it would be clear that it was the police, and not someone who intended to rob me. I would be urging my household members to remain calm. I would ask to see the warrant to verify that my home was the correct target and to learn what they were looking for. (So, no, it would NOT be until after the even that I found out that it was a no-knock warrant or that it was for drugs.) I would call my lawyer.

Later in the morning, there would be hell to pay.

There is a valid use for no-knock warrants. Just not my home, because I know there is nothing going on that would make my home a valid use. After it was over, that would be time to sort out who screwed up and to seek legal redress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>
So, even though your have guns, you feel you are unable to defend yourself if at 2:30 in the morning?

davidmcbeth

Banned
At 2:30, I would not be able to react to the invasion until it was too late.
<o>

Eye if think you could not respond then you need to re-examine the security in your dwelling; it is lacking.

Our army is almost a night-time attack group ... why? Because they prey on enemies that are not prepared for their activities in the dark.

When one is prepared for a night-time assault the advantage is always with the person on defense.

One should have a thermal or night scoped large caliber semi-auto or fully auto rifle handy for such an occurrence.

One can put up sensors, etc to give earlier warning than just that nice knock on the door.

Once should assume that intruders are likely to intrude at night; they think that they have an advantage. They usually do but not against the occupants of a dwelling who have prepared for such an event.

Preparation & practice ... why practice with your marksmanship and not situational practice. After all, marksmanship is low on the list of preparation when it comes to a home invasion.

davidmcbeth

Banned
At 2:30 in the morning, you won't be able to react in the way you describe. They will already have such an upper hand that, if you tried, you'd likely be dead before you got a shot off.

<o>

One can have a 3000 lb anvil that can be released and squish them in the entryway. No bullets, no cost (just have to pull it back up). Wake up, push button, squish.

Just one of many types of defenses on can have.

Freedom1Man

IF!!! you live long enough for you or your lawyer to SEE to warrant, and your son isnt dead and your wife isnt raped,
you may be able to point out to the cops,,, cause by now you know that they really are cops,
and not murders, rapists, robbers
,,, you and your lawyer,
can go to court and file a report,,
you can point out that you're not a druggy,,, and your address is not 5801!!!! they came to the wrong house!!!

Explain the current difference to me, please?

eye95

So, even though your have guns, you feel you are unable to defend yourself if at 2:30 in the morning?

Against a well-armed, unannounced invasion while I am sound asleep? No. You wouldn't either.

<o>

eye95

One can have a 3000 lb anvil that can be released and squish them in the entryway. No bullets, no cost (just have to pull it back up). Wake up, push button, squish.

Just one of many types of defenses on can have.

Folks, I strongly that you NEVER do anything this poster advocates without first getting competent legal advice. In this case, you might find yourself civilly and criminally liable for setting a booby trap.

<o>

DrakeZ07

Just for the record... the process for a no knock warrant is you don't knock or annoyance BEFORE you strike the door.

After the first strike you announce. Most doors (exterior) take a bit more then one swing (unless done perfectly) so its.... BANG... then you hear lots of yelling. And lots of flashlights etc.

Theres a HUGE misconception that we smash the door and just run in without saying a word.... not remotely. Completely false.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Unless you live in a somewhat rural county, where the sheriff's department buys a truckload of Flashbang grenades every month... Like the case with my county's SO.

Past midnight, you hear a bang or two at your door, waking you up, then next thing you know you're blinded, deafened and can only hear a loud ringing in your ears, being bum-rushed, thrown on the ground and hog tied. Ten minutes later you're thrown in the back of a cruiser, able to see, but still unable to hear, and you're very nauseated.

Tell me Mr. Rent-a-cop, WHERE is the misconception at, in regards to actual LEOs, who do just that, smash the door in, throw flashbangs, and hog tie people with no warning, and not a single word said? And even if they yelled "POLICE" after the Flashbangs, the victims/warantee's CAN'T HEAR/SEE that it's police!

This is the only thing in this whole thread that I wanted to comment on, everyone can go back to bickering amongst one another in a pointless fashion.

Primus

Unless you live in a somewhat rural county, where the sheriff's department buys a truckload of Flashbang grenades every month... Like the case with my county's SO.

Past midnight, you hear a bang or two at your door, waking you up, then next thing you know you're blinded, deafened and can only hear a loud ringing in your ears, being bum-rushed, thrown on the ground and hog tied. Ten minutes later you're thrown in the back of a cruiser, able to see, but still unable to hear, and you're very nauseated.

Tell me Mr. Rent-a-cop, WHERE is the misconception at, in regards to actual LEOs, who do just that, smash the door in, throw flashbangs, and hog tie people with no warning, and not a single word said? And even if they yelled "POLICE" after the Flashbangs, the victims/warantee's CAN'T HEAR/SEE that it's police!

This is the only thing in this whole thread that I wanted to comment on, everyone can go back to bickering amongst one another in a pointless fashion.

You guys use flashbangs in your department? We don't unless its SRT call out. The other 99% of the warrants are done by guys in plain clothes and a ram. To include no knock night time raids.

Seems like a case of too much TV. Rots the brain.

Also.... can you cite any cases of bad guys using flash bangs to invade a house? Or robberies etc..

stealthyeliminator

Hmm that's a good point.

You guys use flashbangs in your department? We don't unless its SRT call out. The other 99% of the warrants are done by guys in plain clothes and a ram. To include no knock night time raids.

Also.... can you cite any cases of bad guys using flash bangs to invade a house? Or robberies etc..

Every time the police execute a bad search warrant and use flash bangs, they create another example of bad guys using flash bangs to invade a house. I know that isn't what you were asking, but, let's draw the distinction where it belongs. What you should have asked is, "when have non-law-enforcement criminals used flashbangs to invade a home?"

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Folks, I strongly that you NEVER do anything this poster advocates without first getting competent legal advice. In this case, you might find yourself civilly and criminally liable for setting a booby trap.

<o>

A booby trap self-activates...upon the victim himself doing some action. What I described is not a booby-trap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booby_trap

I described an anti-intruder squishing device ... environmentally friendly at that ...

Last edited:

Fuller Malarkey

"The night of Aiyana Stanley-Jones' death, police shot a flashbang grenade through the window of her home. Her family says it landed on the couch where she was sleeping, ignited the blanket laying over her, and set off flames that began to burn the girl just before she was shot."

http://reason.com/archives/2010/05/24/lessons-from-the-death-of-aiya

Asleep after returning from a 12-hour overnight shift at the ASARCO Mission mine, Guerena was awakened about 9:30 am by his wife who heard noises outside their house, later identified as flash/bang grenades deployed by police in the back yard as a diversion. He instructed his wife and 4-year-old son to hide inside a closet while he grabbed his AR-15 rifle and crouched down preparing to defend himself from the unidentified people breaking and entering into his home. The Sheriff's Department initially claimed that Guerena had fired on officers; at least three of the SWAT members including the team commander reported in their post-operation debriefings that they had observed muzzle flashes aimed at them from inside the house. After an examination of the rifle Guerena allegedly pointed at the officers however, it was determined that the rifle had not been fired; the safety was still engaged. Other officers claimed they saw splinters from the doorjamb being hit by bullets; the shots that caused this were determined to come from other members of the SWAT team themselves. "There were five officers at the door beginning to make entry into this home, when they engaged this individual that they believed was actually firing at them." Other versions of this story claim that officers started shooting after Guerena pointed the gun at them, though under questioning they were initially unsure whether he had actually moved to target them. A video of the raid shows roughly 38 seconds expired from the time the police briefly sounded a siren upon pulling into Guerena's driveway until they shot him.[8] At this point the five person team fired at least 71 rounds at Guerena in less than seven seconds, who died after being hit 22 times.[

Former U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Anthony Schiessl was asked to review a video from the raid. Schiessl has seven years of experience as an Army Combat Engineer, including three deployments to Iraq. Schiessl said the raid was "amateur, undisciplined, unrehearsed and ineffective." He was then asked if Guerena could have known they were cops raiding the house, he replied "Not plausible at all. The short siren burst could have been a police car passing. The flash bang grenades being used next door would have added to the confusion. When looking out a sunlit doorway from a dark hallway, it is difficult to see anything but a silhouette. Add in several people yelling, and it would be extremely difficult to comprehend what is happening if you're woken from sleep."

Guerena's wife called 911 to request medical assistance for her husband shortly after the shooting. Paramedics, however, were instructed to hold back. Guerena was denied attention, for about one hour, until the team declared the "area secured". Ambulance crews were then notified they were no longer needed, one hour and fourteen minutes after Guerena's wife's call to 911. An official autopsy report was released on 6 June. It confirmed that Guerena had been shot 22 times, including one grazing shot to the head. No drugs were found in his system. The medical examiner expressed doubts that medics could have saved Guerena, even if they had reached him quickly. The report also notes that the body showed "no evidence of medical intervention"

There's two groups of "bad guys" with flash bangs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
False dilemma. If there was a no-knock warrant in my home, it would have been a mistake. Maybe not the police, but somewhere, someone made a mistake.

At 2:30, I would not be able to react to the invasion until it was too late. By the time I could react, it would be clear that it was the police, and not someone who intended to rob me. I would be urging my household members to remain calm. I would ask to see the warrant to verify that my home was the correct target and to learn what they were looking for. (So, no, it would NOT be until after the even that I found out that it was a no-knock warrant or that it was for drugs.) I would call my lawyer.

Later in the morning, there would be hell to pay.

There is a valid use for no-knock warrants. Just not my home, because I know there is nothing going on that would make my home a valid use. After it was over, that would be time to sort out who screwed up and to seek legal redress.

<o>

Oh?

You haven't been following the degradation of your rights closely enough.

Between confidential informants for who the standard of reliability is absurdly low, and qualified immunity, your odds of getting hell paid are pretty slim.

Spend a few minutes a day for two weeks reading the case blurbs on FourthAmendment(dot)com. Every once in a while some court will slap down a warrant because the cop omitted important information from the affidavit, but way too often courts side with police. In one case in the last month, a drug dog with something like a 29% accuracy rate was good enough for probable cause.

And, that all assumes the police tell the unvarnished, untwisted truth about their probable cause.

eye95

You have no idea what I am following or not. Again, if the police feel the need to no-knock me, there has been a mistake. It is as simple as that.

Moving on from an attempt to make it personal.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
Oh?

You haven't been following the degradation of your rights closely enough.

Spend a few minutes a day for two weeks reading the case blurbs on FourthAmendment(dot)com. .

Police often ask for consent, but before asking a motorist for consent in a routine traffic stop, the motorist has to know he or she is free to go. Still holding the license when asking for consent is not “free to go.” United States v. Washington, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8002 (N.D. Ohio January 13, 2014): http://fourthamendment.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&p=10276&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1#more10276 ^^

Guess ya just drive off with the cop holding your permission slip ...

sudden valley gunner

Why would plain cloths guys invade someones house?

You have no idea what I am following or not. Again, if the police feel the need to no-knock me, there has been a mistake. It is as simple as that.

Moving on from an attempt to make it personal.

<o>

Yea the mistake was the unconstitutional no -knock invasion of your home!

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Thw whole poont of a NO KNOCK warrant is that ,,,,,
The folks in the house wont know it is the REAL Cops,,, untill it is too late!!!!

I have dogs. Not big tough rough dogs, but small ones that are very alert. I will be informed by my dogs when and if "they" show up at my door or window. I have already practiced my "home invasion", both in the dead of night and in daylight.

I am an Honest Citizen. That said, you will be able to find something in my house (and yours too) to arrest me. I have burglar tools (hammer, prybar, screwdriver), I have tools that can be used in kidnappings(tape, cloth for blindfold, zip ties), I have bomb making equipment (fertilizer and oil). You could find a reason to arrest any of us. It may not stick, but Primus will tell you "you won't beat the Ride". The People I speak to have said they will not allow this to happen to them. No knocks are dangerous, and getting more dangerous on both sides of the door. Those of you who defend them believe it is a great tool to make an arrest. I see it as a request to the home owner to shoot the first few in the stack. I will not fire upon LEOs as I still believe they are on our side. BUT......act like a thug, get treated as a thug.

If you come to harm me in the dead of night you will live with regret if you live.