• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO gave me a ticket...

olypendrew

I've been paid for my services, Rob paid for the transcript, I am out of pocket $240 for the court file and transcripts. I posted about that some time ago. If anyone wants to reimburse me for that, which I otherwise have to charge Josh, I would welcome such a donation.

As I stated before, I cannot ethically hold funds that I have not earned without running it through my trust accountant, which would be an accounting nightmare, and not worth it for $240.

If Josh loses his RALJ appeal and wants to try to take it to the Court of Appeals, or if the city of Vancouver loses and wants to take it up, that is where there will probably be a need for people to start chipping in on a much more significant basis.

1245ADefender, I'll PM you my address, and you can send whatever you want to reimburse me for my current out of pocket expenses.

I also anticipate some additional expenses for copying of the transcript, mailing it, and for fuel and lodging when I have to go to Vancouver for the oral arguments, currently scheduled for April 15. But I have not incurred them yet, so I cannot receive any funds for those costs until I do.

I agree that if there were some sort of organization, this would all be a lot simpler.

rayjax82

Has anyone thought of opening up a 501c specifically for legal defense funding for wrongfully prosecuted open carriers?

Might be something worth looking into.

FMCDH

I've been paid for my services, Rob paid for the transcript, I am out of pocket $240 for the court file and transcripts. I posted about that some time ago. If anyone wants to reimburse me for that, which I otherwise have to charge Josh, I would welcome such a donation.

As I stated before, I cannot ethically hold funds that I have not earned without running it through my trust accountant, which would be an accounting nightmare, and not worth it for $240.

If Josh loses his RALJ appeal and wants to try to take it to the Court of Appeals, or if the city of Vancouver loses and wants to take it up, that is where there will probably be a need for people to start chipping in on a much more significant basis.

1245ADefender, I'll PM you my address, and you can send whatever you want to reimburse me for my current out of pocket expenses.

I also anticipate some additional expenses for copying of the transcript, mailing it, and for fuel and lodging when I have to go to Vancouver for the oral arguments, currently scheduled for April 15. But I have not incurred them yet, so I cannot receive any funds for those costs until I do.

I agree that if there were some sort of organization, this would all be a lot simpler.

See post #910 above.

Josh can handle his own money, and whenever he decides its important enough to him to get involved with financing his own case, I will happily donate.

I figure if the guy who's fighting isn't making an effort to ask and collect, its not that important yet.

1245A Defender

Yawn,,,

See post #910 above.

Josh can handle his own money, and whenever he decides its important enough to him to get involved with financing his own case, I will happily donate.

I figure if the guy who's fighting isn't making an effort to ask and collect, its not that important yet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this!
i am now loosing interest,

w07rolla

the more i think about it the madder i get!
i dont know how rob was able to make the donation that paid for the transcripts,
but he should not have had to pay for all of that by himself.
their are many of us that wish to help you through this,
but were not given the chance.
rob must have had an inside route to donate, and an inside cost to cover.
this could have been 12 of us donating 50 bucks each to cover that expense.
once you can establish a route for donations to your cause
i want to repay rob!
he has helped your case in a disproportionate rate of donation.
WE can ALL donate a REASONABLE amount,
no one should be allowed to be the only one to over extend their finances,
just because they had the inside info.

talk to us, were your support network!

this message has been voted on and cleared by the washington state open carry
legal support network inner council of directors and administrators.

Some people will donate at different rates, some people make more money, therefore have more money to donate to the cause. I think it would be unreasonable to ensure that everyone donated the same amount. However I am sorry that the opportunity to donate was only extended to him, I hope to have this sorted out soon!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this!
i am now loosing interest,

You are loosing interest based on his statement? I am sorry that I have not been on top of this money collecting thing, this is all very new to me. This case is not the only thing going on in my life, I have a lot i am working on, including finishing school. If you would like an address for the check I would be happy to supply you with said address, but I am running into the problem that not everyone wants to send me a check, or do paypal or M.O. However, I have just talked with Jim and I believe he is going to be our case accountant. Hopefully this will make the receiving of the funds much easier for us and the donators.

Again I am sorry for the continued delay of the funds collecting.

Respectfully,
Josh

sudden valley gunner

Let's not forget that the legals system is pretty slow, especially when you are fighting "the Man".

It wasn't only extended to me, I had a settlement Drew had won for me and I wanted it returned to the cause.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
Lets $upport Josh now...

First, thank you to all those who already have. I certainly don't mean to imply the effort started here.

For those who have been waiting for a more convenient way to help financially support this case I've started a new thread to accept PayPal donations:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...help-upport-Josh-s-case&p=1465024#post1465024

I'll also be happy to accept checks or meet (reasonable distant) for cash, livestock*, or recyclable metals*.
Feel free to PM me if you need an address or phone number.

*OK not really on the livestock or recyclable metals, but I'll help where I can.

1245A Defender

well,,,

Josh,,, i apologize,, im just trying to give help sooner than its needed!
i just wanted you to know that i will gladly help support legal fees in this action.
will now sit back and patiently wait for the request and destination for that help.
keep concentrating on the important things in your life that need your attention first.
We will all be here to support you when the time is right!!

joeroket

Josh,,, i apologize,, im just trying to give help sooner than its needed!
i just wanted you to know that i will gladly help support legal fees in this action.
will now sit back and patiently wait for the request and destination for that help.
keep concentrating on the important things in your life that need your attention first.
We will all be here to support you when the time is right!!

The request and destination are above your last post. I can't say I blame Josh for not wanting to come right out and ask for help as I wouldn't do it either.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I know about the forum rules, but there have been mentions of Spencer several times, and people seem to forget that Spencer was all about the carrying of a RIFLE, not the handgun he had legally concealed. The court noted that he was legally carrying the pistol and didn't seem to even shrug at that.

If we are going to chat up Spencer regarding Open Carry, keep in perspective what Spencer was openly carrying.

Casad is the same situation. He was toting long guns.

Unless someone is either going to/from a hunt, or in the process of using an assault rifle or shotgun to defend themselves or their home, carrying a long gun while out and about on the town makes about as much sense as driving a garbage truck to and from the office.

While I might have a good chuckle at that, I'd still consider it a bit fruitloopy. Nevertheless, I'd defend someone's right to do so.

Nevertheless, I share your concerns that if people cannot behave responsibly, or insist on behaving outrageously, the well-intentioned but overcontrolling left will enact legislation which mandates responsible behavior. Just look at the myriads of laws out there already prohibiting various actions.

Packing a handgun in a responsible manner (and there's no guidelines on what exactly defines that) does not seem to get much attention from the courts. That's as it should be.

The courts generally accept a properly holstered firearm as carrying it in an acceptable manner.

But...and there's that word, again...if people here want to start pushing the envelope with their mode of carry, their behavior, even their clothing, eventually someone is going to cross that imaginary line and the result could be a court precedent that affects everyone. Best to keep that in perspective.

That would be wise, particularly as court precedents are notoriously difficult to overturn.

Now, about the other Vancouver case. We're talking about 10 p.m.

I would argue a prudent individual would be exercising better judgement to carry it late at night than at 10am in the morning.

...pretty empty parking lot of a mall shopping area in which all the stores were closed...

I would argue a prudent indvidual would be exercising better judgement to carry it in a deserted area of town than inside a mall with a moderate crowd.

...it is SNOWING (when it would seem to me that a prudent person just "might" want to cover up his expensive handgun to protect it from the weather)

Who cares what the weather is like? I carry when it's raining and snowing. If I'll be out in the rain or snow for any length of time I'll cover it up, but not in the few seconds it takes me to walk from my car to the nearest overhang.

...and this is happening outside of a pizza joint that had recently been the target of a robber.

Even if this fact were widely known, and even if the individual in question knew it, it is immaterial. In fact, the south Colorado Springs IHOP was robbed at gunpoint last year, so I organized an open carry meet there shortly thereafter in support of them! The owner/manager was very appreciative of our support, and even cut us 15% off on our meals!

The thread on that caper has sort of wound up presently with a discussion about the value or liability of appearing "confrontational" and some of you guys better pay attention to that because the court of public opinion is a nasty environment, and it is pretty easy to lose there. All you need to do is be bluster-stupid. Just once. For even just a moment.

You're stating we're the problem, yet we're not. In fact, you stated the real problem: "the court of public opinion," and by inference, "the court of the Police Department."

PD's aren't courts. They exist to enforce the laws that are written, not to invent laws themselves, or even interpret existing laws in ways that suits them whenever they feel like it.

I used to live in the State of Washington. I know the laws there, and when it comes to firearms rights, they haven't changed much. Here's a brief summary:

"Washington State follows British legal tradition, which states that anything that is not proscribed as unlawful is lawful. So the real question is; where can you NOT carry in Washington ? There are four main state statutes that one must be cognizant of: RCW 9.41.050 (Carrying Firearms), RCW 9.41.280 (Carry on School Grounds), RCW 9.41.300 (Weapons Prohibited in Certain Places), and RCW 70.108.150 (Firearms in Outdoor Music Festivals). It is your responsibility to read and understand the definitions and exceptions in the law. RCW RCW 9.41.050 is the primary law which affects gun carrying on a day to day basis. This law makes it unlawful for one to conceal a pistol without a concealed pistol license (hereinafter called CPL), and also makes it unlawful for one to carry a loaded pistol in any vehicle, whether it be openly carried or concealed carried unless a person has a valid CPL(see RCW 9.41.060 on Exceptions)."​

From what I gather, Mr. Watson was citing for openly carrying a firearm, an act which is LEGAL. How the jury found him guilty for violating a law which does not exist is utterly beyond my comprehension.

Attitude and demeanor have a great deal to do with how any encounter with a police officer or sheriff's deputy is going to turn out. It's called, in police parlance, the "attitude test."

I challenge you to find that term in any single one of our 50 States' laws. If you can't, then you have mentioned a second area where a policeman is making up a law as he or she sees fit, and that is illegal.

I support a respectful, cooperative attitude, while standing quietly firm on one's rights.

Keep in mind, I write about this stuff a lot, and deal with all kinds of people who have run into trouble with the law over some gun-related problem. I really hate writing about or dealing with some poor guy who screwed up from the get-go, but on the other hand, I don't have much sympathy for them, either.

Sounds to me like you're giving the LEO the benefit of the doubt, but not the individual who was wrongly charged and convicted. It certainly wasn't a jury of his peers, for if we'd been on the jury, we would have sided with the law, not the law enforcement officer or the DA's passionate presentation which apparently swayed the jury from doing their duty to acquit the guy of a charge which isn't even lawful.[/quOTE]

The reason the Vancouver policeman told him to "cover it up" is the same reason a Vail policeman will tell you to cover it up. They're both tourist towns, and they don't want any firearms showing, as that can scare off a small percentage of the visitors.

Was it either right or legal for that policeman to do so? No, it was not. Neither is it right for you to come on here and tell us we need to bend to the "court of public opinion" when what needs to happen is for all of us to carry in accordance with the law, in a responsible, professional manner, and for the "court of public opinion" to be re-educated as to what is, and is not legal.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Dave has his opinion, it is often not shared by many here.

I don't appreciate how he is trying to infer Josh failed the attitude test. :mad:

He did the same thing with me, he feels standing up against police and governmental intrusion into your rights and personal life is failing the test. He also is not necessarily pro OC, he himself is no lawyer.....again he keeps bringing up how he knows better but we don't because we aren't lawyers, puhleeze......he wishes we never made up the pamphlet, if we were all to follow his advice over the last several years, OC would have never made any progress in this state in educating LEO and Municipalities about the legality, most areas in the state do not have issues with it now.

I don't care if Josh did cop an attitude, the cops had no RAS or PC to be messing with him to begin with. And this won't matter in court, I have faith Drew will destroy any type of argument that follows the line of Dave's.

usamarshal

Sorry to post so late, but just wondering if the charges were dropped and if he recovered his firearm? :question:

FMCDH

Sorry to post so late, but just wondering if the charges were dropped and if he recovered his firearm? :question:

I know its a lot to read, but you would really have to read the whole thread to get the full insanity of this situation. Bottom line is that Josh was railroaded by an over zealous prosecutor, compounded by an incompetent defense (not Drew at the time). One judge had already dismissed the case prior an appeal of the prosecutor that ended up in a conviction by jury.

Now Olypendrew is looking to do what the last lawyer didn't.

usamarshal

How can the case be thrown out by a judge and then appealed? Does the state of washington not follow there own laws? Yea, there is no way I'm reading all these posts...haha...sounds like a bunch of hippy crap to me...:cuss:

protect our rights

An injustice to Joch and every other OC?CC'er in the country. There should have been medi coverage, NRA involvment, possible Wash. OC orginization (if one exsists) involved in this case. If everyone who could have got involved, would have gotten invovled I believe this case would be over with the OP being found innocent and an appology from the city!

joeroket

How can the case be thrown out by a judge and then appealed? Does the state of washington not follow there own laws? Yea, there is no way I'm reading all these posts...haha...sounds like a bunch of hippy crap to me...:cuss:

A dismissal can be appealed to the next higher court. That court felt the lower judge erred in his decision to dismiss. The only decision that cannot be appealed is one that comes from the SCOTUS. The laws and court rules seem to have been followed by the prosecutor with the exception that this case should have never gotten to them because the officers had no legal basis for the stop in my opinion.

w07rolla

I know its a lot to read, but you would really have to read the whole thread to get the full insanity of this situation. Bottom line is that Josh was railroaded by an over zealous prosecutor, compounded by an incompetent defense (not Drew at the time). One judge had already dismissed the case prior an appeal of the prosecutor that ended up in a conviction by jury.

Very good and quick summary, thank you.

nuc65

Activist Member

I think this is pretty typical of Wa. State.