• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State wide let's get lunch 4/18

mspgunner

If they tell you not to do it what then?

Might be better to talk to the "Chief" and advise him/her of your plans, but not to seek permission of what is not illegal. Merely opening up the lines of dialog.

Either way, if you get a negative response would request a cite/statute that covers this.

I'm not "asking" permission, I'm asking if they have an objection.
Also, I'm not here to debate the issue. Stay tuned.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Uhm, lets be clear here.

Lets tell the Chief we are going to be doing it and if he objects, lets push him on the topic a bit.

While normally I would say F'it and just do it, I think there is wisdom in informing a number of visibly armed men and ladies are going to be headed up the steps of the capitol.

I would not pose it in the form of a question, nor would I seek approval, I would simply be letting them know we are doing it. No reason for a show of force response from the POPO if they know we are coming and sure as hell am not flexible on my rights by an opinion inserting law officer.

Keep it sound in ones mind, we are showing THEM a courtasey so they do not find themselves on the wrong end of a civil suit and pre-informing sets a sound foundation if some power monger wants to test things.

I won't speak for mspgunner, but as well as I know him, he will not "ask" a weak question and he will not take a "no" without a great deal of objection. Nothing wrong with his approach to things and his "asking" would be just as any others "telling" it is simply semantics.

Key is, lets get some OC'ers there this year!

For those of you new to the events, in the past I have never been because of work. I have paid for seats on chartered buss's for others to make the trip etc and it is IMPORTANT.

We need to show the folks in the capitol, OC is not a fad, it is not a passing issue, it is voters willing to take time off from work to travel and say "Hey, WTF, remember us...do not worry if you do not, we will remember your actions THIS SESSION, November is around the corner and WE VOTE"

mspgunner

I spoke with the capitol police today, they cite the following:
(6) The general assembly, supreme court, county or municipality may by rule, administrative regulation, or ordinance prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed firearms by endorsement holders in that portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by that unit of government. Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute, rule or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of a firearm. The statute, rule or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute, rule or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building and if employees of the unit of government, be subjected to disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute, rule or ordinance. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any other unit of government;

Basically if we show up armed on capitol grounds or the Governor's Mansion we are subject to arrest.
They consider grounds are firearms free. I know, the statute refers to a "building".
The court system is available to those with opposing view points.
I do not advocate an OC photo opportunity in front of the Missouri Sate capitol on capitol grounds.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I spoke with the capitol police today, they cite the following:
(6) The general assembly, supreme court, county or municipality may by rule, administrative regulation, or ordinance prohibit or limit the carrying of concealed firearms by endorsement holders in that portion of a building owned, leased or controlled by that unit of government. Any portion of a building in which the carrying of concealed firearms is prohibited or limited shall be clearly identified by signs posted at the entrance to the restricted area. The statute, rule or ordinance shall exempt any building used for public housing by private persons, highways or rest areas, firing ranges, and private dwellings owned, leased, or controlled by that unit of government from any restriction on the carrying or possession of a firearm. The statute, rule or ordinance shall not specify any criminal penalty for its violation but may specify that persons violating the statute, rule or ordinance may be denied entrance to the building, ordered to leave the building and if employees of the unit of government, be subjected to disciplinary measures for violation of the provisions of the statute, rule or ordinance. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to any other unit of government;

Basically if we show up armed on capitol grounds or the Governor's Mansion we are subject to arrest.
They consider grounds are firearms free. I know, the statute refers to a "building".
The court system is available to those with opposing view points.
I do not advocate an OC photo opportunity in front of the Missouri Sate capitol on capitol grounds.

:banghead:

Did he/she indicate what charge would be preferred...........for not breaking the law?

Is there any support, cooperation, or advice from SACMO?
http://www.sacmo.org/

It would be a shame to miss an opportunity like this.

NG19

We can however take a photo from the sidewalk in front of the capital across the street from the court building. I believe that the sidewalk there is considered city property.

Festus_Hagen

We can however take a photo from the sidewalk in front of the capital across the street from the court building. I believe that the sidewalk there is considered city property.
Not sure.... You have a federal courthouse on one corner and a post office on the other directly across from the capitol building.

mspgunner

Not sure.... You have a federal courthouse on one corner and a post office on the other directly across from the capitol building.

Correct!
If anyone wants to take a chance on this, feel free.
I'd be there, CCW to watch!
Be sure to have bail money available.

We'll be going out to luch, there will be opportunity away from the capitol for a photo op.

Festus_Hagen

Correct!
If anyone wants to take a chance on this, feel free.
I'd be there, CCW to watch!
Be sure to have bail money available.

We'll be going out to luch, there will be opportunity away from the capitol for a photo op.
:idea:
Right across the bridge there is a river access that MAY give a great shot of the capitol in the background. Not sure if that is something we may consider.

Also, I hate to even mention it because I got sick there over the summer, but Arris' Pizza is right across the street and I've OC'ed many times in there. It's next door to the Main Post Office which is directly across the street from the capitol. I'm sure they would be receptive to people lobbying for a cause. And our $$$$ .....

mspgunner

:idea:
Right across the bridge there is a river access that MAY give a great shot of the capitol in the background. Not sure if that is something we may consider.

Also, I hate to even mention it because I got sick there over the summer, but Arris' Pizza is right across the street and I've OC'ed many times in there. It's next door to the Main Post Office which is directly across the street from the capitol. I'm sure they would be receptive to people lobbying for a cause. And our $$$$ .....

Well, I'll be up ther next month, we can check out a few places and make a decision. You're the local guy. I'll want ot leave with the name, address and directions of what ever we come up with to post, or you certainly can post it here. See you in February.

ChiangShih

I'm looking forward to the Jeff City meet and eat! I'll finally get to meet more of you St. Louis folk!

mspgunner

Last edited:

mspgunner

I think this fills you in: (Now we need all pro-ocers to contact their House and Senate Members!

Roll up your sleves and let's go to work!

After a lot of work here is the bill we've waiting for:

NOW CALL, WRITE EMAIL AND TELL YOUR ELECTED OFICIALS "WE WANT OUR RIGHTS BACK"!!!!!!!!

SB 680 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves
LR Number: 5364S.01I Fiscal Note not available
Committee:
Last Action: 1/18/2012 - S First Read--SB 680-Nieves Journal Page: S109
Title: Calendar Position: 84
Effective Date: August 28, 2012

Current Bill Summary

SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

MEGHAN LUECKE

Big Boy

I'm in. Only 30 min from Jeff City, see you all there. It'll be nice to see some familiar faces again.

Oramac

I think this fills you in: (Now we need all pro-ocers to contact their House and Senate Members!

Roll up your sleves and let's go to work!

After a lot of work here is the bill we've waiting for:

NOW CALL, WRITE EMAIL AND TELL YOUR ELECTED OFICIALS "WE WANT OUR RIGHTS BACK"!!!!!!!!

SB 680 Repeals authority for political subdivisions to regulate open carrying of firearms and requires certain local ordinances incorporate statutory justifications

Sponsor: Nieves
LR Number: 5364S.01I Fiscal Note not available
Committee:
Last Action: 1/18/2012 - S First Read--SB 680-Nieves Journal Page: S109
Title: Calendar Position: 84
Effective Date: August 28, 2012

Current Bill Summary

SB 680 - Under current law, political subdivisions may enact ordinances regulating the open carrying of firearms. This act removes that authority so political subdivisions may not regulate the open carrying of firearms.

This act also requires that local ordinances regulating the discharge of firearms incorporate justification defenses provided by statute, which include self defense, defense of others, and defense of property.

MEGHAN LUECKE

Awesome!! Do we know if there's a House version yet? I'll definitely call my Senator and urge him to support this Bill.