• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO gave me a ticket...

MR Redenck

Jury trial date moved

So, I received a ticket for OC! Today I was stopped for OC, and when I was asked if I had a CC, I said I did. He then told me to cover it up. I refused, as it is my right to OC (as you all know). When he detained me I asked to speak to his SGT. The SGT came to the scene, said that they had every right to stop me because a store I pared in from of was robbed a few days ago (didnt know). However, that is not why I was originally stopped. In the end I received a ticket for OC, and they took my firearm!!

However, i am trying to keep positive

This is the kind of Crap that causes people to dislike law enforcement. :eek:
To me, it looks like you were " doing nothing wrong, and minding your own business".
But here comes the Natzi cops giving a man a bunch of crap for exercising his rights! :uhoh:
I hope that one day, we can all see the cops comming and truly be glad to see them but that day aint today. :cuss:
:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

olypendrew

I'm back

and was successful, I might add.

So here's the deal: I cannot receive and hold money for future expenses without creating a real headache for myself, due to ethical rules concerning trust accounts. I can, with no problems from the bar, incur expenses, pay them, and get reimbursed by you good folks. Currently, I am out of pocket $140 for a copy of the court file, and another $140 for CDs of the trial, and all the hearings. If anyone wants to chip in on that, it would be most appreciated. Also, the transcript will probably cost around $600, maybe more since the trial took two days. I don't know exactly. I'll know an exact figure later. My transcriptionist charges per page. PM with questions, etc.

Thanks.

FMCDH

and was successful, I might add.

So here's the deal: I cannot receive and hold money for future expenses without creating a real headache for myself, due to ethical rules concerning trust accounts. I can, with no problems from the bar, incur expenses, pay them, and get reimbursed by you good folks. Currently, I am out of pocket $140 for a copy of the court file, and another $140 for CDs of the trial, and all the hearings. If anyone wants to chip in on that, it would be most appreciated. Also, the transcript will probably cost around $600, maybe more since the trial took two days. I don't know exactly. I'll know an exact figure later. My transcriptionist charges per page. PM with questions, etc.

Thanks.

WB olypendrew,

I PMed Josh a few days ago to ask about his plans to pay for the appeal and he has yet to reply, so I'm not sure if he is accepting money directly for this or not.

It occurs to me that to keep things straight so you are not receiving a bunch of money that you have yet to spend, we need a single point of contact among us to receive, organize, track and allocate that money.

If Josh can't or wont accept the donations directly, do you have any suggestions?

amlevin

Good job! Wonder why you could not get the transcript for free. Something about the freedom of info act? I do not know the rules about how it works.

IIRC, even under FOIA or Public Disclosure, the "agency" can charge a "reasonable fee for copies. A trial transcript may not fall under those provisions and even if they did, add up the number of pages, covering every word spoken in court, for two days, would cost.

KBCraig

Good job! Wonder why you could not get the transcript for free.

Because court reporting is a racket that would be prosecuted under RICO if it wasn't run by the government.

It varies from state to state and federal, but in some systems the transcript is the property of the reporter, who then sells copies at an insane price per page. The federal courts' PACER system charges $2 per page just to look at electronic copies online, last time I checked.

olypendrew

It occurs to me that to keep things straight so you are not receiving a bunch of money that you have yet to spend, we need a single point of contact among us to receive, organize, track and allocate that money.

This would work, too, if someone was willing and trusted to act as a trustee. Then that person could hold the funds, and I could submit bills for costs as I incur them. This would actually be preferable, but it would involve an additional individual, and I have no suggestions; maybe one of the elders on here could volunteer.

FMCDH

This would work, too, if someone was willing and trusted to act as a trustee. Then that person could hold the funds, and I could submit bills for costs as I incur them. This would actually be preferable, but it would involve an additional individual, and I have no suggestions; maybe one of the elders on here could volunteer.

Alright, well.... I will wait for Josh to get back to me or to make his wishes known on how he wants to handle donations to his appeal.

Lovenox

IIRC, even under FOIA or Public Disclosure, the "agency" can charge a "reasonable fee for copies. A trial transcript may not fall under those provisions and even if they did, add up the number of pages, covering every word spoken in court, for two days, would cost.

In this day and age of computers why not a PDF or Word DOC?? Does it have to be paper?

amlevin

In this day and age of computers why not a PDF or Word DOC?? Does it have to be paper?

That's been the topic of several discussions and arguments lately. Depends on how cooperative an agency wants to be and which "media" serves their purpose best. Some feel that it is more expensive to provide the information in "electronic" format because of all the work they claim is necessary to redact.

Remember, this is government we're dealing with here. They don't want to change anything if they don't have to.

Lovenox

"Remember, this is government we're dealing with here. They don't want to change anything if they don't have to."

lol Yeah...enough said on that.

sudden valley gunner

I was thinking of something maybe its a dumb idea, but what if we bought those Wal-mart or other prepaid credit cards and sent it to you Drew? Would that get you in trouble with the bar? Since it is our money, loaned to you via card?

olypendrew

I was thinking of something maybe its a dumb idea, but what if we bought those Wal-mart or other prepaid credit cards and sent it to you Drew? Would that get you in trouble with the bar? Since it is our money, loaned to you via card?

That won't fly Rob, but as soon as I get the bill for the transcript, I'll let you know. That will be pretty close to the amount you have pledged.

Jeff Hayes

I am all for this if 2 people had to sign the checks.

FMCDH

I am all for this if 2 people had to sign the checks.

I still haven't received any word from Josh on how HE wants this handled. :(

I'm willing to send my money directly to Drew as coasts come up, but it just seems like a very chaotic way to handle financing his appeal.

Just sayin...