• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Civil Disobediance

Primus

internet-troll.jpg

That's why Primus is here.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...
Damn. You figured me out. Must be a detective or something.

Back in reality..

My phone shows all unread threads/posts. So every time you waste band with dumb photos it bumps thread right back to top on my phone. Regardless of state or topic.

Amazing huh? Like magic....

Geerolla

What's amazing is your continued participation in a state forum you know nothing about, nor contribute anything to.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

The Truth

I have a job and I'm basically a part time stay at home Dad and I spend WAY too much time here, haha. My post count does not even begin to reflect the insane amount of time I spend on this forum. I should really seek help.

And now PeterNap has invited me to another forum. Now I'm really screwed. Once fantasy baseball starts back up too I'm truly done for. My life might be over.

:lol:

Difdi

Ok. So let me get this straight.... You disagree with law X so you believe everyone should be screwed by law X at all times? Am i missing something?

This 594 is a great example. A lot of guys disagree with it. So they are advocating it gets enforced towards EVERYTHING such as nail guns.

I just can't wrap my head around it.... Personally if I don't agree with something I wouldn't want to push it on someone else to prove a point.

And its not an odds thing. It's how the system is designed. Its designed to punish the bad/wrong while leave discretion for good.

Example: stop signs/red lights. A guy who runs a red light doing 40mph during rush hour. Even if he makes it without accident he just put a lot of people at risk. Cite.

A person who just barely misses the light at 6am on his way to work and no one is on the road. Warning.

"Odds" are you're (general) person B. So you rarely get cited if ever and hence the reason your ok with the system.

According to you it seems everyone must get the citation regardless of circumstances. Please don't become a cop I'd feel bad for your town.

The problem is that selective enforcement is another term for corruption. It just doesn't look like corruption if you benefit from it. Police exercise "discretion" a lot less often for non-whites. From a fairness standpoint, knowing that if you do A then B happens makes it a lot easier to plan out how to obey the law -- or how to get away with not obeying it.

Then there's the fact that people are a lot more eager to try to get a bad law repealed if the majority suffers unfairly from it than if it only punishes a minority or a bunch of whackjobs like the gun nuts.

Do you see the problem yet?

OC for ME

They won't arrest anyone for it. It co.es down to intent. ...
They won't...ever? Or ,they won't regrading the proposed civil disobedience event? Only time will tell. As I have stated, the law does not define "loan" adequately, or exempts a "borrowed" (short term loan?) situation. Selective enforcement seems to remain on the table. Telling the citizenry what the intent of the law is is not the same as enforcing unambiguous law.

I don't work days my love :p. Oh and there is no exemption for us and texting. So if u want move up here get sworn in and cite some guys for texting. :rolleyes:
Why should a citizen move to your state, you are already there. You again state that you will not hold a fellow cop to account under the law.

OC for ME

And yet you can't leave the WA forum alone.
Every post he submits is another view into the "mind of a cop." His views and statements regarding his actions are not very different that the many cops who have come before him and he will not be the last.

Help where you can as long as you don't "rock the boat" and do not act if employment is at risk. All benefits to the citizenry by his actions, or his inaction, are mostly incidental.

"Your average cop" is a apt descriptor.

Primus

They won't...ever? Or ,they won't regrading the proposed civil disobedience event? Only time will tell. As I have stated, the law does not define "loan" adequately, or exempts a "borrowed" (short term loan?) situation. Selective enforcement seems to remain on the table. Telling the citizenry what the intent of the law is is not the same as enforcing unambiguous law.

Why should a citizen move to your state, you are already there. You again state that you will not hold a fellow cop to account under the law.
I agree only time will tell. I don't think theyll ever start making arrests for letting your girlfriend shoot your gun at the range. But that's just an opinion based on intent of the law and how they've already responded.

Also, I've never written a texting while driving citation for a citizen so why would I do it for a cop either?

My point was he's doing a lot of squawking but not much acting. Bringing up completely off topic things (like texting while driving) for no apparent purpose. So me telling him to move up here and cite me is the gentle way if me telling him put up or shut up. No more no less

Dave_pro2a

I agree only time will tell. I don't think theyll ever start making arrests for letting your girlfriend shoot your gun at the range. But that's just an opinion based on intent of the law and how they've already responded.

Also, I've never written a texting while driving citation for a citizen so why would I do it for a cop either?

My point was he's doing a lot of squawking but not much acting. Bringing up completely off topic things (like texting while driving) for no apparent purpose. So me telling him to move up here and cite me is the gentle way if me telling him put up or shut up. No more no less

Hey, speaking about CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/utah-wash-cops-failed-turn-body-cameras-article-1.2012400
In both Saratoga Springs, Utah and Spokane, Washington, two cops have failed to use the body cameras strapped to their chests while shooting a suspect - one fatally

Murders gotta get their murder on without annoying cameras.

A 17-year veteran with Washington state’s Spokane Police Department never turned on his camera before shooting a man...

The Nov. 8 encounter came only days after Spokane Police Chief Frank Straub required 17 of his officers in the body camera pilot program to record each incident on their call list.

Transparency, yay!

Last edited:

acmariner99

Right there you have proven the real danger with this law. I do not think that SWAT teams will be parachuting from the sky every time someone hands a gun to someone else when violating the letter of the law, but depending on the circumstances (e.g. citizen displaying contempt of cop), the person may lose their lawfully owned property and perhaps their freedom at the discretion of law enforcement. Selective enforcement is dangerous - my freedoms are not at the whim of someone with a badge and a gun nor a bureaucrat with an axe to grind against how I defend myself.

Just because there may be a "rule" that letter of the law violations aren't prosecuted doesn't mean that someone won't find themselves on the wrong end of this very bad law.

I hope law enforcement doesn't 'enforce' this law at all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Right there you have proven the real danger with this law. I do not think that SWAT teams will be parachuting from the sky every time someone hands a gun to someone else when violating the letter of the law, but depending on the circumstances (e.g. citizen displaying contempt of cop), the person may lose their lawfully owned property and perhaps their freedom at the discretion of law enforcement. Selective enforcement is dangerous - my freedoms are not at the whim of someone with a badge and a gun nor a bureaucrat with an axe to grind against how I defend myself.

Just because there may be a "rule" that letter of the law violations aren't prosecuted doesn't mean that someone won't find themselves on the wrong end of this very bad law.

I hope law enforcement doesn't 'enforce' this law at all.
While I agree that this is a bad law and needs to go away, I see officer discretion in another light. LEOs have considerable latitude as to whether to arrest, warn, ignore, or simply have a conversation regarding the problem.

Think - would you have it the other way, where an officer was required under any and all circumstances to perfect an arrest?

Last edited:

OC for ME

It is not just texting, no turn signal used, tail light out, seat belt use. I am a advocate for officer discretion, but when the discretion is mostly in favor of officers and not citizens for the same infraction, then officer discretion must be ended or be applied equally.

While I agree that this is a bad law and needs to go away, I see officer discretion in another light. LEOs have considerable latitude as to whether to arrest, warn, ignore, or simply have a conversation regarding the problem.

Think - would you have it the other way, where an officer was required under any and all circumstances to perfect an arrest?
See above. Officers have not only exemptions in law, but their counterparts covering their six...professional courtesy is a term used from time to time.

twoskinsonemanns

Sure as long as I am the one granted the warning and some other poor shmuck is the one getting railroaded police discrimination is fine.

Primus

If officers just "warn, ignore or simply have a conversation" with every person who violates I-594 in a harmless manner such as buying a nail gun at Home Depot or letting their girlfriend shoot their gun at a place where the discharge of a firearm is legal than what happens? The law never goes to court, never gets exposed for what it is, and the anti-gun group wins a huge victory because they have their law in place and then next year or two we have an assault weapons ban and a magazine capacity limit, and then after that we might lose state preemption and shall issue CPLs. Where does the act of just "warning, ignoring, or simply having a conversation" stop?

Personally, I think one of the first things we need to do is get the big corporations to comply with the ridiculous provisions of the law and require all of their non-weapon powder actuated devices to be transferred through an FFL with a background check. At least that will get some of the mindless lemmings' attention regarding how ridiculous this law really is. We need to hit the issue of the little champagne party poppers hard and then go after fireworks sales in the summer. We need to shove this propaganda down the throats of the same idiots who voted for this law, "Hey, moron, this is exactly what YOU voted for, now you live with having to get a background check to buy roman candles."
Ok... So pass your gun to your buddy three or four times on video. Walk into station and turn yourself in. Get arrested and a case opened. Then you can repeal all of this.

Or do the same thing then have your buddy citizens arrest you and have him drag you to court and in front of a judge. Then get arraigned on the charges. Fight the case and have it repealed.