• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AR OC

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Zig, he's asking why...the real reason.

Just like when DanM asked what the real reason is that someone felt OC is not conducive of a professional blah blah blah you know the rest.

You are basically insulting him by saying that he doesn't know what freedom means.

He's trying to get you and others to think deeper then "because it's me right".

How about this little exercise.

Write a list of pro's and con's for rifle OC
I agree. I think people should really go back and re read all of this and see how quick they jumped on Hank for a simple question. answering questions like that on a forum like this can help others decide if it is for them or not or help them answer to curious pedestrians should they decide to do it themselves.

I know Hank is considered the resident troll here but sometimes I think the questions he asks and the direction he tries to take the conversation has more potential to take the discussion in a direction people can learn from that so many of the garbage posts people make.

That's the pedagogical approach, of course.

This is, after all, a discussion forum. And it's much, much better to think well .... than to think in ashallow manner....

Good thinking will produce better pro-gun/gun rights arguments. Right now the pro-gun position is weighted down by a lot of bubba thinking/speaking.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

HankT wrote:
That's the pedagogical approach, of course.

This is, after all, a discussion forum. And it's much, much better to think well .... than to think in ashallow manner....

Good thinking will produce better pro-gun/gun rights arguments. Right now the pro-gun position is weighted down by a lot of bubba thinking/speaking.

"Becuz it mi rite an i can."

Does ANYONE here really think by saying the above portrays you as an articulate well informed citizen?

It's very telling when someone states the above to sheepdogs and sheep alike-it says that's about as deep as you have thought about the subject.

Some that use only the above really need to learn more about OC, it's free and you can do it from the comfort of your living room.

How about this straight forward response:

Q: Why are you carrying that!?!

A: I carry a gun for my personal protection as well as those around me. I carry openly to help desensitize the public to gun ownership and show that gun owners are good people, not criminals. Would you like a tri-fold with more information?

coderdude

imported post

At what point will someone accept that the reason for all of this is because of the open carry incident with the assault rifle?

I was a big follower also as was dozens of my friends. We support open carry but can no longer be affiliated with a group that sole purpose is the "scare" the public into acceptance.

I had convinced a number of friends to join MOC and they are all glad that they didn't yet. They consider you a terror group. You are not helping the cause, you are hurting it.

Because of the actions you have taken, it will only be a matter of time until they DO pass laws against open carry.

Grow up.

Stop trying to be the bully and educate. Assault rifles in a restaurant does not educate.

Police have the "right" to carry assault rifles. But I bet a few of you would be up in arms as would the public if they started walking the streets with them.

A pistol is fine for self-defense. A rifle is only needed to hit someone at a distance (that is not self defense), or throw a lot of lead quickly (are you expected to be attacked by an army?).

I too have to discontinue my membership on this site and any other things your group is involved with.

Maybe, just Maybe, your group will get back to educating the public and not scaring the piss out of them.

Also there are over 10 million people in michigan and 27,000 members of this site and yet you get excited when 40 people vote in favor of open carry?

G

imported post

coderdude wrote:
At what point will someone accept that the reason for all of this is because of the open carry incident with the assault rifle?

I was a big follower also as was dozens of my friends. We support open carry but can no longer be affiliated with a group that sole purpose is the "scare" the public into acceptance.

I had convinced a number of friends to join MOC and they are all glad that they didn't yet. They consider you a terror group. You are not helping the cause, you are hurting it.

Because of the actions you have taken, it will only be a matter of time until they DO pass laws against open carry.

Grow up.

Stop trying to be the bully and educate. Assault rifles in a restaurant does not educate.

Police have the "right" to carry assault rifles. But I bet a few of you would be up in arms as would the public if they started walking the streets with them.

A pistol is fine for self-defense. A rifle is only needed to hit someone at a distance (that is not self defense), or throw a lot of lead quickly (are you expected to be attacked by an army?).

I too have to discontinue my membership on this site and any other things your group is involved with.

Maybe, just Maybe, your group will get back to educating the public and not scaring the piss out of them.
The first OCers were terrorizing too?

That's the same line give by the police when they assaulted OCers in Las Vegas on the strip.

If those individuals had quit as easily as you, OC wouldn't d there as it is now.

What OCers encounter here is a walk in the park with the police compared with the assaut that some have encountered by the police there.

There wasn't anyone terrorized in Lansing. I didn't see anyone fleeing in fear.

What I did see was an unlawful detainment of individuals participating in a lawful activity.

Sorry you want to quit.

But, winners don't quit. And, quitters don't win.

T Vance

imported post

coderdude wrote:
At what point will someone accept that the reason for all of this is because of the open carry incident with the assault rifle? The reason for what?

I was a big follower also as was dozens of my friends. We support open carry but can no longer be affiliated with a group that sole purpose is the "scare" the public into acceptance. You shouldn't lump EVERYONE together because of the actions of one person (whom I support). I wish I had DOZENS of friends that think the EXACT SAME WAY I DO. I second thought I don't. That would proabably mean they are all a bunch of "followers" that can't think/decide for themselves.
I had convinced a number of friends to join MOC and they are all glad that they didn't yet. They consider you a terror group. You are not helping the cause, you are hurting it. They didn't join yet? How long does it take to get signed up here? Were they waiting for you to give them the OK submit their membership all at once?I have yet to see or hear aboutany type of "terror" caused by any form of lawful OC. Could you please site where this has happened (you might want to look up the definition of it before you answer...if you answer)?
Because of the actions you have taken, it will only be a matter of time until they DO pass laws against open carry. The exact same thing has been said about HANDGUNS.

Grow up.

Stop trying to be the bully and educate. Assault rifles in a restaurant does not educate. And what you are doing tohelp educate?

Police have the "right" to carry assault rifles. So does every other citizen that can lawfully own one. But I bet a few of you would be up in arms as would the public if they started walking the streets with them. Depends on the situation. Are they unlawfully detaining people with said "assault rifle"? Have they enstated Marshall Law? Or are they just meeting some friends for a scheduled lunch?

A pistol is fine for self-defense. A rifle is only needed to hit someone at a distance (that is not self defense) So ifsomeone is shot atby someone with a rifle from a distance, the person being shot at needs to wait for the attacker to get with 21 feet? or throw a lot of lead quickly (are you expected to be attacked by an army?). How many people would need to be in the group of said "attackers" to consider them an army? Sure an "assault rifle" can hold alot of rounds, but so can my Glock 23. There is a magazine out there for it that holds 30 rounds (same as most "assault rifles"). I can squeeze the trigger just as fast, if not faster.
I too have to discontinue my membership on this site and any other things your group is involved with. Sorry to see you go.

Maybe, just Maybe, your group will get back to educating the public and not scaring the piss out of them. I think the main purpose has ALWAYS been to educate. Some people are scarred by handguns too... and gays, and thunder, and dogs, and uncooked meat.

G

imported post

dougwg wrote:
Yeah... I can't believe people are quiting....

Look at the crap I've taken and gotten into with DD on MGO...I'm still here.
Because WINNERS don't quit!!!

It speaks volumes to the conviction someone has for their principled beliefs when this is all that it takes to get them to quit.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
dougwg wrote:
Yeah... I can't believe people are quiting....

Look at the crap I've taken and gotten into with DD on MGO...I'm still here.
Because WINNERS don't quit!!!

It speaks volumes to the conviction someone has for their principled beliefs when this is all that it takes to get them to quit.

I tend to agree with you CV6.

For example take Doug Huffman over in the WI subforum. The mods deleted a couple of his name-callings/attacks (ofhis more flagrant variety) and he's off pouting now. He's not posting under either of his two accounts. So, apparently, he's (they've) quit.

WINNERS don't quit!......I think that is a universal principle and catch cry of America. All of America lacks respect for quitters...

malignity

imported post

I've 'rage quit' these forums at least two other times. I don't even OC unless it's at an OC event and I always find my way back here after I've cooled down.

All I have to say about this situation is this:

1.) I only wish I had the kahunas to OC an assault rifle. I'm not gonna lie, I don't.

2.) Oh, and for all you quitters? See you next week. I hate to say it, but if you have friends here and believe in our cause, you'll be finding your way back. I don't agree with everything MOC does either sometimes, but I still manage to look past it. Overall, we're not bad guys, and each and every one of you know that.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

This will be my one and only post to this thread.

Maybe some of you agree with Kimberguy, maybe some of you disagree with him. Either way, he has been a long time member of this forum, and a steadfast supporter of MOC and Open Carry in general.

I do not think this is too much to ask.

I wanted to lock this thread as I do not wish it to become a discussion, I hope you all will respect this.

malignity

imported post

PilotPTK wrote:

Maybe some of you agree with Kimberguy, maybe some of you disagree with him. Either way, he has been a long time member of this forum, and a steadfast supporter of MOC and Open Carry in general.

I wanted to lock this thread as I do not wish it to become a discussion, I hope you all will respect this.

Well said.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:

What'sKimberguyafraid of? This is a discussion forum, after all. People, uhm, come here to discuss open carry, guns, laws, etc.

This thread doesn't belong to KG. It's the property of the discussants. If people want to discuss about how great KG is fine. If people want to discuss how bad KG's judgment was, fine.

Political correctness shouldn't be used or claimed to stifle discussion.

choover

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
If they wanted it to be a handgun only open carry event, was it advertised as such?
I doubt that is was advertised as such but I think it was our responsibility to inform them ( since we were asking permission anyhow) I doubt any of them knew long gun carry was legal and therefore they probably never imagined that one would be brought. If I recall correctly our goal is to educate, we cannot assume John Q Public is just going to know.

Haman J.T.

imported post

coderdude wrote:

Grow up.

Also there are over 10 million people in michigan and 27,000 members of this site and yet you get excited when 40 people vote in favor of open carry?
You're a big follower and have posted a whole nine times?Don't expect your money back when you discontinue your membership on this site.I hope we didn't scare you away.Sorry to see you and your friends go.

choover

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
coderdude wrote:

Grow up.

You're a big follower and have posted a whole nine times?Don't expect your money back when you discontinue your membership on this site.I hope we didn't scare you away.Sorry to see you and your friends go.

I would not be up in arms if they started carrying them. I am only up in arms when they give them to hooters girls to pose with for pictures. :lol:

jeremy05

imported post

Reasons to OC a AR15

1. It looks bad ass
2. You will get harassed by the police and then Sue them to make some money.
3. You have just upgraded your available firepower allowing yourself to defend yourself even better.
4. Looks bad ass
5. Because I feel like it.
6. Its legal
7. I enjoy having 30 rounds in one mag
8. In a random movie style gun fight ill have a sweet advantage taking out the shooters on the roof tops over having a handgun.
9. Looks bad ass
10. Its legal!
11. I have to lug one around at work for miles, and I feel naked without on. <- A little more personal :lol: