• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backpacker kills bear in Denali National Park

kdt1970

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
glockfan wrote:
The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

So since the stoc capacity of a 1911 Government model is 7 rounds, and some models have 8-round mags (Kimber, Para, Dan Brown, Wilson), how did this guy get off 9 rounds?

Either he did a REALLY fast reload, or he was carrying a double-stack 1911 (Para, STI, Caspian) or he was carrying some .45acp other than a 1911, like a Glock, Sig, or an XD...

I'm really curious to find the details on this one. Is there any way that a FOIA could be filed to get the particulars--firearm, ammo, etc?

Actually, if this guy ends up being cleared of any charges (which he should) this story will probably make the "shooting press" and appear in some magazines this summer. Hopefully they will have all this info...
Well let's see. My 8 rd mags hold 8 rds + 1 in the tube = 9 w/o reloading, but that's just mine. :p :D

Yata hey
Springfield Armory XD and XDM 45's are 13 rounds.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

kdt1970 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
glockfan wrote:
The man fired nine rounds from his .45 caliber, semiautomatic pistol at the animal, which then stopped and walked into the brush.

So since the stoc capacity of a 1911 Government model is 7 rounds, and some models have 8-round mags (Kimber, Para, Dan Brown, Wilson), how did this guy get off 9 rounds?

Either he did a REALLY fast reload, or he was carrying a double-stack 1911 (Para, STI, Caspian) or he was carrying some .45acp other than a 1911, like a Glock, Sig, or an XD...

I'm really curious to find the details on this one. Is there any way that a FOIA could be filed to get the particulars--firearm, ammo, etc?

Actually, if this guy ends up being cleared of any charges (which he should) this story will probably make the "shooting press" and appear in some magazines this summer. Hopefully they will have all this info...
Well let's see. My 8 rd mags hold 8 rds + 1 in the tube = 9 w/o reloading, but that's just mine. :p :D

Yata hey
Springfield Armory XD and XDM 45's are 13 rounds.
So is a Glock 21.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

And considering that he was backpacking, the Glock makes even more sense. I would have thought he would have wanted a 10mm for Alaska, though.

Still, it is hard to argue with success.

It worked.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Bluff Charge? Bear?

Sure, they do it, rarely... Bears usually mean business.

Dogs usually bluff. Well, actually, I've never met a dog that wasn't bluffing.

There's a difference between dogs and bears, isn't there? I mean, I think there's a difference...

OCglock1988

imported post

I really dont understand how anyone can feel safe carrying a handgun for defense against bears... I think its more of a "mental safety" thing rather than actual security. I wouldnt feel comfortable without a nice pump shotgun with heavy slugs and buckshot, or a nice compact short action magnum rifle... but thats just me.

cscitney87

imported post

OCglock1988 wrote:
I really dont understand how anyone can feel safe carrying a handgun for defense against bears...
You must be the leading authority on bears in my locality. Your insight is appreciated. :uhoh:

No, but really- the only bears in Colorado are black bears. Black bears are easily scared off or severely injured by handguns. Most of the time you will succeed in killing the black bear right on the spot.

We're not talking Grizzlies All the time, pal. Brown bears are also scary. Black bears are the most common in populated areas and happen to be the weaker of the three.

Unless you dress like a trash can and hold a garbage bag.. you'll basically never be approached.

Spray is not a practical as the winds are always blowing in Colorado. Generally, gusts over 40mph are common in elevations higher than 6 or 7,000 feet.

Aaron1124

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
OCglock1988 wrote:
I really dont understand how anyone can feel safe carrying a handgun for defense against bears...

Casull .454

'nuf sed...
Or..

range9.jpg

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Found bear 100 ft from where shot, and it took till Saturday to find it.
Must have been a real search team effort. :p

So how many rounds were in the bear? Did it have 9 holes so they assumed that
this was the one? Did it have a picnic basket up its fur so they surmised it
was a bluff attack? Maybe Yogi should have listened to boo boo and the ranger.:idea:

At least a bear is all fur, where do you shoot for a charging moose? It's all bone
at the front coming towards you.