• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Barnes and Noble-Libbie Place

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I still haven't gotten my phone call per my complaint and I even have a case number (147863)

Is this sex discrimination? :lol:

Good job with great results ClumsyCandy - proud of you.

Yata hey

The Wolfhound

imported post

Ok if the weather gives us a break, I propose we make a point of Open Carry Purchase. If you need books, go there, to Barnes and Noble, Libbie Place and BUY. Rewarding GOOD behavior should help insure more of it. I have a few new releases on my list as it is. I know where to buy.

Dreamer

imported post

Three cheers for ClumsyCandy!!!

Good work, and I'm glad you got this manager straightened out.

I have OCed in B&N's all over the place with nary a problem--NC, VA, WV, PA. It's too bad this happened to you when you had a child in tow.

But sometimes, it takes these minor inconveniences to educate these power-hungry anti's who think that their tender sensibilities and irrational fears trump State law and the US constitution...

You are hereby declared to be an official "2A Activist" for actively and successfully engaging "the system".

Good on ya!

ClumsyCandy

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Three cheers for ClumsyCandy!!!

Good work, and I'm glad you got this manager straightened out.

I have OCed in B&N's all over the place with nary a problem--NC, VA, WV, PA. It's too bad this happened to you when you had a child in tow.

But sometimes, it takes these minor inconveniences to educate these power-hungry anti's who think that their tender sensibilities and irrational fears trump State law and the US constitution...

You are hereby declared to be an official "2A Activist" for actively and successfully engaging "the system".

Good on ya!

Thanks everyone! She did also apologize for upsetting my traveling companion's child! I'll update everyone again tomorrow after I meet with her in person!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Eeyore wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:
open arms! LOL No pun intended!
Actually, "open arms" is a GREAT pun. When you think about it, it would be a great title for any kind of pro-OC organization, publication, or event.

Certainly more interesting/engaging than "OCDO." ;)
I really do like that - great slogan - OPEN ARMS
It says so much. We're friends, we're reaching out and we are "open" about it.

Yata hey

FRIENDS WELCOME FRIENDS
sm_heartsmall.jpg
WELCOME
WITH
WITH OPEN ARMS
pistol-picture-clipart17.gif

OPEN ARMS

Infidel

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Ok if the weather gives us a break, I propose we make a point of Open Carry Purchase. If you need books, go there, to Barnes and Noble, Libbie Place and BUY. Rewarding GOOD behavior should help insure more of it. I have a few new releases on my list as it is. I know where to buy.
It'd be good excuse to get more re-loading manuals...if they have any! Maybe in the DIY section.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Finally got my call from the store manager. Bottom line is we are welcome there.

The manager was most cordial and spoke positively of RKBA.

She expressed a desire for a simple answer to those that express concern. Beyond suggesting that she tell them that such (OC) was legal in Va, and that BGs don't conceal their guns, I don't have a really good effective suggestion - at least not one that contained any magic potion.

My favorite is "Well are they doing anything illegal?"

Anyone got a really, really good one?

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Finally got my call from the store manager. Bottom line is we are welcome there.

She expressed a desire for a simple answer to those that express concern. Beyond suggesting that she tell them that such (OC) was legal in Va, and that BGs don't conceal their guns, I don't have a really good effective suggestion - at least not one that contained any magic potion.

Yata hey
Seems to me that especially in a book store, one should be particularly pleased that all ten of the Bill of Rights are honored...

So, maybe something like...
"You know, here in the United States, we have the Bill of Rights which protects our business, even if we might happen to sell books or magazines that are critical of the Government. Those same rights also protect law-abiding citizens who feel it is prudent to be able to defend themselves from crime that could happen anywhere, and at any time."
Something like that...

TFred

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

TFred wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Seems to me that especially in a book store, one should be particularly pleased that all ten of the Bill of Rights are honored...

"You know, here in the United States, we have the Bill of Rights which protects our business, even if we might happen to sell books or magazines that are critical of the Government. Those same rights also protect law-abiding citizens who feel it is prudent to be able to defend themselves from crime that could happen anywhere, and at any time."
Something like that...

TFred
The Bill of Rights: Worthless if you're dead. Defend life.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Something like that...

TFred

I like that TFred and will make a note of it. Thanks.

Yata hey

N6ATF - There are those that have died defending our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Neither their lives nor those articles are worthless or otherwise diminished in value.

I realize that was not your intent, but it was my reaction. :?

TFred

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/carry-defensive-scenarios/97562-book-store-scenario-real.html

Last week at a local mega-chain book store, some guy hid and waited until closing time, then pulled a gun, herded everyone into the back of the store, robbed them and took register receipts.

But nobody was hurt so I guess you don't need to protect yourself. Yeah, riiiiight.
A login is required to see that page. Perhaps you could post a link to whatever source article was cited there.

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/carry-defensive-scenarios/97562-book-store-scenario-real.html

Last week at a local mega-chain book store, some guy hid and waited until closing time, then pulled a gun, herded everyone into the back of the store, robbed them and took register receipts.

But nobody was hurt so I guess you don't need to protect yourself. Yeah, riiiiight.
A login is required to see that page. Perhaps you could post a link to whatever source article was cited there.

TFred
New user/poster (post #1) from Sacramento - does not provide a link, location or source.

What can I say - different standards over there - I lurk some but don't post.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
TFred wrote:
paramedic70002 wrote:

TFred
New user/poster (post #1) from Sacramento - does not provide a link, location or source.

What can I say - different standards over there - I lurk some but don't post.

Yata hey
Ah.. Google is our friend! :)

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/crime/archives/2010/02/sacramento-pd-b-1.html

February 9, 2010
Sacramento PD: Bookstore robbery suspect arrested

By Kim Minugh
kminugh@sacbee.com

Sacramento police say they have found the man who they suspect lurked in the aisles of a local bookstore until closing time and then robbed the joint at gunpoint.

Police are not releasing the man's name, but said a tip helped them identify him the man who allegedly hid inside the Barnes & Noble on Arden Way until after closing time on Feb. 3.

He then emerged with a gun and ordered employees into the manager's office while demanding money, according to police.

He made off with cash, police said.

Police released a surveillance photo of the robber (see photo left).

After identifying the man, police found he already was in custody for an unrelated crime.

They have not yet added the robbery charge for the Barnes & Noble caper, but plan to do so after further investigation, said police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong.

Posted by Bill Enfield
3:14 PM | Comments (8) |

mrsjero1987

imported post

That Barnes and Noble story hits home (even now months later) because I work at at college Barnes and Noble as such I am unable to carry on campus (because I am affiliated with the private university I know the rules even if they aren't posted). A few of the managers know that I carry a gun on my off time and I could just see them looking to me in a scary situation like that or if they knew someone else carried just hoping they would have broken the rule just once.