• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Call to oppose PATRIOT act Renewal -- today!

eye95

+1 !! isnt there a quote? " people who vote for security over freedom deserve neither. " I think Ben Franklin said that. That quote needs to be said over and over.

The full Franklin quote, complete with the oft-absent (and key) words is:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Beretta92FSLady

What I find amazing about all the hoopla on some of these threads about Democrats 'depriving' the People of their Freedom, and I discover that more Republicans vote for the Patriot Act than Democrats. In the House Republicans voted 4-1 to the Democrats for the Patriot Act. And even in the Senate Republicans voted in larger numbers 'yea' for the renewal, than Democrats. If Republicans (Conservatives) had more seats in the Senate, I am sure the numbers would have been much larger.

How does one explain all of this when they are asserting Democrats are a 'freedom hating unAmerican' party?

Two sides of the same coin as far as I am concerned. I just find it interesting that staunch support by Republicans for the Patriot Act, who are voted into office by Conservatives, have for the Patriot Act.

Senate, and House voted, here are the numbers:

http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/112/house/1/376

http://politics.nytimes.com/congress/votes/112/senate/1/84

And who pipes up to have something against the Patriot Act...A Democrat:

"During the debate, Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat and a member of the Intelligence Committee, said that the executive branch had come up with a secret legal theory about what it could collect under a provision of the Patriot Act that did not seem to dovetail with a plain reading of the text. “I want to deliver a warning this afternoon: When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they will be stunned and they will be angry,” Mr. Wyden said."

Also:

"Another member of the Intelligence Committee, Senator Mark Udall, Democrat of Colorado, backed Mr. Wyden’s account, saying, “Americans would be alarmed if they knew how this law is being carried out.”"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/us/27patriot.html?_r=1&hp

Last edited:

Dreamer

I am proud to say that my Rep voted "No" for the Patriot act.

However, I am also embarrassed (and dismayed) that BOTH the Senators from NC voted "Yes"...

Calls will be made tomorrow...