• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all school zone maps!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now I'm not a lawyer, but that just might be important.....

948.605(2)(b)2.
2. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by a political subdivision of the state or bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms in which political subdivision the school zone is located, and the law of the political subdivision requires that, before an individual may obtain such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the political subdivision must verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

I have submitted requests to SEVERAL political subdivisions asking for a copy of the procedure to get said license, all have informed me, "there is no such license."

Hillmann

imported post

Is it possible to sue the state or local government to survey and mark with signs at all places where the edge of a school zone crosses a road or other public area for all the school zones in the state with the argument that they need to post areas that they say are off limits to guns? At a cost of a thousand too two thousand dollars each it might change some minds on the issue. If a large city was surveyed and marked it would be a good example of how restrictive it is as well as be ironic when it becomes obvious how much dangerous crime happens within the school zones.

AaronS

imported post

Hillmann wrote:
Is it possible to sue the state or local government to survey and mark with signs at all places where the edge of a school zone crosses a road or other public area for all the school zones in the state with the argument that they need to post areas that they say are off limits to guns? At a cost of a thousand too two thousand dollars each it might change some minds on the issue. If a large city was surveyed and marked it would be a good example of how restrictive it is as well as be ironic when it becomes obvious how much dangerous crime happens within the school zones.

I have been thinking on near the same lines. I do think the school zones should be marked. I do feel that if it is a law, the local Governments should be forced to mark the areas, all of them. I also agree that if we could force this issue, the school zone law might just get dumped.

So how do we go about this?

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

This has been mentioned before as well. Something like marking the curbs in Red paint or something to indicate the GFSZ. Otherwise wouldn't anything less be entrapment? We do not have built in pedometers.

Hillmann

imported post

I think the red paint would be a nice touch and more accurate. Or require the same type of markings that non fenced, non ag land needs to be posted. Two signs per 1/4 mile or border, signs a cert en size, lettering a certen size, with the name of the school zone that you are entering, posted on every border(that would mean on each side of the street or sidewalk facing into private property with two signs for every lot).

All this would do several things, Keep law abiding people out, led criminals know where it is safe to do "business", show how restrictive the law is, make it obvious that school zones are just as if not more dangerous than non school zones and the rows of signs down each street would make many people mad (the home owners because it is a big obnoxious sign inthere front yard, and any tax payers because it would be a huge waste of money.)

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

we need a Green Bay map ( Green Bay, Ashwaubenon, De Pere ), of all K-12, public & private schools.... I can't do it, I have no clue...not too computer savy.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I looked up the schools, then created circles centered on the outer most points of the propoerty. This should open in google earth. Got to confess, I am AMAZED at the 100% restriction in certain parts of La Crosse.

http://tinyurl.com/yglw99x

hope this helps

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Because there is no authority for such a license in statutes for the various classes of political subdivisions such a requirement is more stringent than allowed by 66.0409 preemption.
Well, no. The school zone statute itself authorizes political subdivisions to issue such a license. Therefore licensing for school zones is not more stringent than state law. The problem is that no subdivision actually issues such licenses. The bigger problem is the school zone law itself.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Hillmann wrote:
I think the red paint would be a nice touch and more accurate. Or require the same type of markings that non fenced, non ag land needs to be posted. Two signs per 1/4 mile or border, signs a cert en size, lettering a certen size, with the name of the school zone that you are entering, posted on every border(that would mean on each side of the street or sidewalk facing into private property with two signs for every lot).

All this would do several things, Keep law abiding people out, led criminals know where it is safe to do "business", show how restrictive the law is, make it obvious that school zones are just as if not more dangerous than non school zones and the rows of signs down each street would make many people mad (the home owners because it is a big obnoxious sign inthere front yard, and any tax payers because it would be a huge waste of money.)
:D That's asking quite a bit-- to force the state to put up evidence of how stupid its own law is. Wishful thinking!

Seriously, I think the more difficult it is to tell where school zones are, the better. Why make it easier for the state to enforce and prosecute a clearly stupid law?

Carcharodon

imported post

Awesome work! This is greatly appreciated. I just moved to appleton and had to guess before, I was pretty close to what your map shows. I live pretty close to pierce park, just outside sevral school zones as it happens. Funny how I can't walk down by the yacht club anymore. These maps just go to show you how ridiculous these school zones are.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So jrm, are you implyingthat if a person has a firearm inside a school the person is subject to a felony because the school premisis is within 1000 feet of school property, however, ifthe dangerous weapon is other than a firearm he is subject only to a Class A misdemeanor?

jrm

imported post

Lammie wrote:
So jrm, are you implyingthat if a person has a firearm inside a school the person is subject to a felony because the school premisis is within 1000 feet of school property, however, ifthe dangerous weapon is other than a firearm he is subject only to a Class A misdemeanor?
I tried to say it explicitly rather than implicitly, but yes. Although I'd be careful using the word "premises," because it's defined in the misdemeanor statute. Here's how I'd say it:

Gun in school=felony b/c school is in school zone.

Other dangerous weapon in school=misdemeanor b/c school in in "premises."

cleveland

imported post

I am not capable of making a map for West Allis, would someone do this if I bribe you? Name your price!

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

cleveland wrote:
I am not capable of making a map for West Allis, would someone do this if I bribe you? Name your price!
I just might be bribed for such a task. :lol: I am currently working on Racine at the moment. West Allis could be soon.