• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Celebrating by firing your gun in the air, really?!?

WalkingWolf

Wait a minute...are you talking about dopey Joe the Vice President or AK Joe the Delegate ?:uhoh:

I thought there was only one drunk dopey Joe, mia culpa for the confusion. Of course I was talking about Obama's court jester...LOL!

Does AK Joe have a drinking problem also?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I thought there was only one drunk dopey Joe, mia culpa for the confusion. Of course I was talking about Obama's court jester...LOL!

Does AK Joe have a drinking problem also?

He gets into a lot of fights:uhoh:
He has to drink a fair amount.

TFred

Not likely that this person will ever be identified unless someone can trace the original arc of the shot definitely or ballistic markings have evolved to a level seen only on CSI :(
I believe you are right. Unless the person is a completely dysfunctional sub-human being, they will be aware of this and guilt can be a horrible cancer over the years. Not saying it will substitute for jail time, but it's not over.

TFred

FreeInAZ

I think they should make anvil guns just for these people. They would be equipped with a sensor & only fire when the barrel was 90 degrees from the ground (pointing straight up). The range need only be a few feet. These should be given away free with obama phones. ;) Thus solving multiple problems at once. :D

Win-win! Just kidding...

Wow - teach me to attempt humor here....tough crowd, tough crowd. Geesh! I get no respect I tell yah!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwu-6GxBHN4

Last edited:

HearseGuy

I think they should make anvil guns just for these people. They would be equipped with a sensor & only fire when the barrel was 90 degrees from the ground (pointing straight up). The range need only be a few feet. These should be given away free with obama phones. ;) Thus solving multiple problems at once. :D

Win-win! Just kidding...

Haha!

I'm gonna quote someone that I can't stand, because I feel its appropriate...

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

nuc65

Activist Member
MythBusters- Penny Drop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHxvMLoKRWg

And an interesting article on 'falling bullets':
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2011/03/watch_out_for_falling_bullets.html

(Spoiler: it appears that a person might get 'hurt', but it doesn't appear to be terminal under normal 'falling' circumstances. That said, shooting into the air is never a good idea!)

MythBusters hahahahaha, if you're going to take them as 'science' or 'engineering' hahahahahaha

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
MythBusters hahahahaha, if you're going to take them as 'science' or 'engineering' hahahahahaha

There are a lot of references to lightweight objects falling on heads.

This is a good one and the basis of the deathfall bullet I think.

http://eleaston.com/chicken.html
smiley-laughing021.gif

Chicken Little was in the woods one day when an acorn fell on her head. It scared her so much she trembled all over. She shook so hard, half her feathers fell out.
Chicken Little: "Help! Help! The sky is falling! I have to go tell the cops!"
Narrator: So she ran in great fright to tell the Sheriffs Dept. Along the way she met Henny Penny.
Henny Penny: "Where are you going, Chicken Little?"
Chicken Little: "Oh, help! The sky is falling!"
Henny Penny: "How do you know?"
Chicken Little: "I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my head!"
Henny Penny: "This is terrible, just terrible! We'd better hurry up.."
Narrator: So they both ran away as fast as they could. Soon they met Ducky Lucky.
Ducky Lucky: "Where are you going, Chicken Little and Henny Penny?"
Chicken Little & Henny Penny: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! We're going to tell the cops!"
Ducky Lucky: "How do you know?"
Chicken Little: "I saw it with my own eyes, and heard it with my own ears, and part of it fell on my head."
Ducky Lucky: "Oh dear, oh dear! We'd better run!"
Narrator: So they all ran down the road as fast as they could. Soon they met Goosey Loosey walking down the roadsid

AND...

They've been known to kill people you know!

images

500full.jpg

I tossed 158 grain elongated object...into the air

And when it landed it hit a bear

I went to skin him cause it was my right

but instead of laying there

He ate my knife

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

SFCRetired

Falling Bullets

The folks just to the north of my home have this thing about shooting upwards (notice I did not say "in the air") on almost every holiday.

The roof over my carport is approximately 22 gauge sheet metal. After one of their celebrations, I found a very neat hole in that roof and what I guessed to be a 9mm bullet, badly deformed, laying on the carport. From the deformation of the metal around the hole and from the location of the bullet, my guess is that it impacted at somewhere around a 45 degree angle.

From that, it would seem to me that shooting at almost any angle less than, as a guess, 80 degrees, could produce an end velocity that could, as a minimum, cause extremely serious injury.

I'm not a doctor, scientist, nor ballistics expert, but I do know that I would not want to have been in the path of the bullet that punctured my car port roof. Strict rule in my house: Stay indoors, especially after dark, on holidays!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The folks just to the north of my home have this thing about shooting upwards (notice I did not say "in the air") on almost every holiday.

The roof over my carport is approximately 22 gauge sheet metal. After one of their celebrations, I found a very neat hole in that roof and what I guessed to be a 9mm bullet, badly deformed, laying on the carport. From the deformation of the metal around the hole and from the location of the bullet, my guess is that it impacted at somewhere around a 45 degree angle.

From that, it would seem to me that shooting at almost any angle less than, as a guess, 80 degrees, could produce an end velocity that could, as a minimum, cause extremely serious injury.

I'm not a doctor, scientist, nor ballistics expert, but I do know that I would not want to have been in the path of the bullet that punctured my car port roof. Strict rule in my house: Stay indoors, especially after dark, on holidays!

It's around 45 for maximum results and probably dangerous at 70, maybe 80 degrees...SF.

The reason I'm adamant about the shooting in the air vs lobbing bullets discussion is that "We are in danger" is the first argument you hear from anti's over hunting areas and shooting ranges.

That is a required whine when trying to shut down skeet ranges. "I hear bullets falling all the time".

Now myth busters and Hatcher aside, the way we decide where to go to lunch during a Dove hunt is to shoot a load of the deadly #9's straight up. Everyone holds their hat out and whoever has the most pellets in their hat, gets to pick.

Doves don't even die from that.

Last edited:

Thundar

What about blanks?

This made me pretty angry and I cannot imagine the pain the parents must feel. "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356851/Seven-year-old-boy-dies-hit-stray-bullet-fired-air-walked-July-4-fireworks-display.html"

But what idiot fires a gun in the air? I deem this as criminal. Sure, I fire my piece at the range but never anywhere it isn't safe or required.

You can safely fire into the air when using blanks. Illegal in some Virginia cities, but no Commonwealth law to prohibit the practice. I agree that firing bullets into the air in an indiscriminate manner is probably criminal.

Blk97F150

If you disagree with their findings, you are welcome to post any evidence to the contrary.... take your time. I'll wait for it... :p

builtjeep

I just did an interview with NBC Channel 12 in Richmond about this incident. Report should air at 6pm tonight for anyone interested.

Not bad, but it seemed to me that they cut a lot out. The reporters commentary about the bullet continuing to accelerate as it fell contradicted your mention of terminal velocity. I could be wrong, I certainly have my own bias.

builtjeep

The 2 reports were completely different. The 6pm one was better I thought......

Not the first time their report has changed . When they reported on my situation the first report was gun rights group takes petersburg clerk to court, by the 11 o'clock report I was taking "a petersburg woman" to court. She happened to be the clerk. :rolleyes:

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2